PDA

View Full Version : Councillor suggests buying used rather than new, with regards to new fire truck

uzbek
03-15-2010, 08:26 AM
SMITHS FALLS, ON - With a new aerial fire truck expected to cost $1.2 million, Robin Hawe thinks Smiths Falls town council should consider buying a truck off a lease.

The town councillor made the suggestion at last week's special Committee of the Whole (COW) meeting on the budget.

Through some research he did on the Internet, Hawe informed council that he discovered some cities do lease trucks and when they are 10 years old "you get rid of them." He asked Smiths Falls fire chief Joel Gorman if there was anywhere the town could acquire one of these vehicles.

"Not that I am aware of," Gorman responded. "Most municipalities just don't get rid of stuff like that. They order for long-term needs."

Source: EMC Smiths Falls (click for full story) (http://www.emcsmithsfalls.ca/20100311/news/Councillor+suggests+buying+used+rather+than+new,+w ith+regards+to+new+fire+truck)

FLASHOVER05
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
They can easily purchase an apparatus with good service life remaining for fractions of the proposed 1.2 million tabled....

I remember a sales representative telling me of their visit to Smiths Falls in the past few years with an Articulating aerial for which the apparatus sale price was well over the million dollar mark...

Seems awfully pricey for a department that responds to just over 200 calls yearly.... realistically how many calls would this truck respond to yearly, 25? 30? that's about $1500 everytime that truck runs out of the hall with no equipment,staff,etc...