PDA

View Full Version : Eye Glass Inserts For Scba Mask

Berty_409
07-19-2010, 12:11 PM
My township is talking about getting eye glass inserts for those of us that need glasses for our masks. Has anyone used these before? Likes/dislikes?

firefighter316
07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I can only speak about MSA but Cambridge and Waterloo have been using them for some time with no complaints.

dentedhead
07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
We have Scott and a couple guys are using them. Same thing as 316 says,no complaints......they just make you look funny:D

Dentedhead

Dubya
07-20-2010, 01:40 AM
I've had an MSA spectacle kit for several years and used it in MSA, Scott, Draeger, ISI and Survivair masks without problem.

We've almost finished buying a full set of Survivair packs, so I bought a Survivair "NexSpex" kit. It looks like it'll only fit Survivair masks, but the spectacles can be worn as glasses. I'll keep the MSA kit in my locker for mutual-aid runs.

Berty_409
07-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the input guys

wearitwell
08-19-2010, 08:47 AM
I purchased a set from acklandgrainger about 4 years ago, Im pretty sure they were universal but I used them on scott. They fit really well and easy to take out too, they were a little pricey around the $85 mark.

FitSsikS
08-20-2010, 04:39 AM
We have Scott and a couple guys are using them. Same thing as 316 says,no complaints......they just make you look funny:D

Dentedhead

I'm told the funny stuff starts......when I take my mask off.

I have been using the insert for years now. There is a fair bit of adjustment available which is great. For example, with reading glasses you can slide them up enough so that you can see under them if you need to watch your footing (ie when approaching stairs).
Of course this may make for some teasing when I don or hold my face piece up to my face to read an alarm panel.

Nah that would never happen.:o

OzzyOsmond
11-29-2010, 04:48 AM
I have an old school pair, the black rimmed combat style, and I found that they press on the bridge of your nose. Prolonged usage and it bruises, and can give me a headache.

I have the newer style that'll fit the AV3000 mask, but I need to book an optometrist appointment before I can get lenses in them.

braidjansen
12-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Is your town buying both frames and lenses?

I have been on for five years and have always worn contact lenses with my SCBA. I have always been given gears for doing it even though NFPA clearly states that soft contact lenses are acceptable so long as you have tolerated them for at least six months. Still, they don't do me much good when I roll out of bed at 2am and have to report to the hall wearing my glasses. So we are now being fit tested for our own SCBA masks and I asked about an eyeglass kit. They asked how much my lenses cost...wow did contact lenses suddenly become acceptable in their eyes when they saw the cost of my prescription lenses.

OzzyOsmond
12-13-2010, 03:40 AM
I work for an oil company, so yes they provided the lenses AND frames.

JohnfromStLouis
01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Anyone looking to purchase Rx spectacle kits should google spectaclekits dot com. They carry all spectacle kits and are approximately 70% off retail pricing. They are also experts at fabricating the Rx lenses since they fit further from your eyes than normal eyewear. They do this for all NY City Fire Department, Chicogo, St. Louis, LA, San Fransisco, etc. Request an ordering guide. All you have to do is fax them your Rx.

MFD_31
04-25-2011, 05:54 AM
I had them in my Scott mask in my last department. Worked great, no problems. They paid for them. Unfortunately we do not have them in my current department.

Berty_409
05-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Well I got my new specs. Gotta say I'm not a big fan. We don't have our own SCBA's - 10 packs for 18 guys, so I would have to remove/install them at each call. Plus my eyes are not that bad about 20/40. I don't see myself (pun intended) stopping to put these in when getting to the scene. Maybe if my eyes were worse and I actually couldn't see without my glasses, or if arriving as a back up crew (when time isn't as great a factor). Plus they do look a little goofy - lol