PDA

View Full Version : What do you Wear?

JGallagher
03-12-2005, 06:56 AM
At 2am when the tones go off what do you wear under your bunker gear? Do you just take from the dirty old yesterday clothes that are sitting there or do you grab a clean fresh set? My self personnely I wear what ever is handy. I do how ever grab a clean pair of socks. That is a must. But either way I wear pants that are loose. I have seen people in mid winter wear shorts.

DFCSmash
03-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Top drawer of my nightstand. Socks light and heavy, undies reg and long, Tshirts short and long sleeved, sweatshirt, sweatpants. Pick what I need according to the season. Stack 'em in the order I get dressed in. Sure beats fumbling around looking for what you're gonna wear. Nothing in there that is fashion plate stuff, but it's all natural fibres, no synthetics. It may burn, but it won't melt into my skin. So I do know (pretty much) what I will wear.

Years ago, one of our captains wakes up at 3am for a call, out the door and heading for his car. Wife, out the door behind him yelling. Fred, get back in here and get dressed. :D Yep, out the door in his birthday suit. Back into the house to get dressed so he missed the truck, but of course, she told the story at coffee later that morning. :) He retired about 12 years ago, but he still gets reminded of it from time to time. :D

no-post
03-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I keep yesterday's clothes ready to wear in the middle of the night. If it's cold, or gonna be a long and dirty call, I have two sets of coveralls at the hall I can throw on quickly. I also have a spare change of clothes in a bag above my gear if my clothes are really in bad shape after a call.

kufire
03-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I normally have pants (joggers or jeans), long sleeve shirt (during the winter), and socks laid out on the chair beside my bed. I try and lay them out in order. At 2 a.m., it's difficult just getting dressed, let alone getting to the hall.

Whitewater_419
03-12-2005, 09:37 AM
I wear whatever's most handy, which is usually yesterday's clothers. I've shown up to the hall on a couple of pages, though, in suit and tie, either immediately after a family event or business meeting :) (Yeah, I lose the tie and jacket before putting on the bunker gear :) :) )

ndvfd_ff33
03-12-2005, 09:53 AM
If its a night time medical I grab the coveralls our First Responders have....If its anything else...Winter time I grab a pair of track pants or somethin...Summertime...Usually shorts or on the odd occasion if I know its a biggie my boxers..:D

Owl5
03-12-2005, 10:12 AM
A good question in the middle of the night I grab yesterdays clothes and head for the station. I have gone to calls in a full suit lose the jacket and tie undo the shirt.

Toxic
03-12-2005, 01:26 PM
I keep yesterday's clothes ready to wear in the middle of the night.

Same here. Does you wife hassle you about it too?

firewhirly
03-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Usually have some clothes set aside, but have occasionally been known to show up in my pj's... :D
strangest thing I have ever shown up at the hall in??????... now thats a whole other thread...

iamvff
03-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Usually I wear a blue thong under my speedo's. But in the summer I loose the speedo's :eek:

No really...I usually grab whatevers on the floor...general that ends up being my work jeans and shirt which works well, because they usually reek of smoke by the time were done, and it doesn't screw up my good cloths.

be safe
iamvff :)

JGallagher
03-12-2005, 06:23 PM
I wear any thing but jeans!!

resqteacher
03-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I keep a shirt and pair of cotton shorts on a hook at the back door. When tones go off - I need a couple extra seconds to get my wits about me so that trip down two flights to where my clothes are really seems to help me calm down and clear my head. If not I'd be stumbling all around the bedroom and the wife is already pissed about being woken by the tones!
I keep my socks in my boots at the hall - just in case it's summer and I'm in sandals or something - no more blisters for me.

P.S. - I've actually fixed the loud tones problem in the middle of the night by switching my minitor IV to vibrate - then I can control the volume of dispatch and it's a lot less invasive for the whole family.

mutts252
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
myself, i usually have a set of clothes laid out ahead of time... make sure it's all non-synthetic so i don't melt my pants to myself or something. they aren't always a clean set of clothes... but i try and keep the gross-factor to a minimum in case we end up going to a 3am medical or something. if i have a clean (or relatively so) fire dept shirt lying around, i'll try and throw it on if it's a non-fire call (people identify us easier... and being 20, sometimes i'm not seen as a FF right away). :)

Scuba
03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Anything from boxers to normal street clothes.........all depends on how asleep I am as I'm tripping across my room.

A while back we had a call late sunday night, we're all rolling back into the hall to do the debreif and deal with whatever needed to be changed/added/cleaned on the truck when in walks the cheif (who attended the scene in his car), looks around and says 'what the hell is this - some kinda pajama party' Then we clued in that 11 of the 14 of us were in some form of bedroom attire.....2 in slippers 1 in sandles heh.

DandE
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
After getting hurt a couple of weeks ago and going to the hospital and had to strip down for xrays, I know make sure I put on briefs before throwing pants on. Other than that throw on what ever I had on before I went to bed have.

no-post
03-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Same here. Does you wife hassle you about it too?

Nope, she doesn't hassle me at all about it. But then, she doesn't do the laundry either.....

Brando
03-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Im the same as the rest of you. Yesterdays clothes, and I usually get out the door in the truck before the tones are done. I also keep a spare fd shirt in the truck, especially to throw on in the summer when I dont have a huge coat over it.

cdnbacon
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
I keep the clothes I wore the day before handy beside my bed so they're easy to find. Some members in are show up intheir pajamas. We even had one guy show up in his girlfriends lace underwear.

JGallagher
03-17-2005, 05:48 PM
We even had one guy show up in his girlfriends lace underwear.

Well, I think that is one call he should have took time to put his own clothes on.

wilderness
03-22-2005, 06:29 AM
I usually leave yesterdasy clothes, beside the bed... have been known to show up with shirts inside out and on backwards, from time to time... i also have a change of clothes at the station..ie sweater, jogging pants, army combats (dry really fast) extra socks...

bestcoast
03-22-2005, 08:11 AM
I keep the clothes I wore the day before handy beside my bed so they're easy to find. Some members in are show up intheir pajamas. We even had one guy show up in his girlfriends lace underwear.
Girlfriend's lace underwear eh!! thats what he TOLD you guys anyways..lol.......BC....

cdnbacon
03-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Girlfriend's lace underwear eh!! thats what he TOLD you guys anyways..lol.......BC....

The guy was a little different.

Forest
03-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Anything from boxers to normal street clothes.........all depends on how asleep I am as I'm tripping across my room.

amen jude

half the time (even in winter) its boxers and t-shirt, if my girlfriend moved my coveralls....which is almost always.

and i pulled a naked one once, until I got to the hall and woke up and relized I was.

never wore my girlfriends lace underwear though, thats a new one

engine61enroute
03-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Keep my T/O bunker pants + leather zips by the back door, depending on the incident I may be going direct or to the station. Beside the bed is uniform pants an a FD shirt. We also keep packs of gum in the rigs for mung mouth at 3am, nothing worse than bad breath on a FR call!

Matt.....was that Jarred that showed up in underwear? wouldn't surprise me!

cdnbacon
03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
It was before Jarret's time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did show like that one time.

JGallagher
03-29-2005, 11:38 AM
It was before Jarret's time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did show like that one time.

Wow, you guts have some strange ways to fight fires out west. Womens underware. Have fun!!

sammy
03-29-2005, 02:16 PM
all our turnout is kept at the hall. when paged first go to hall don our gear and fill the trucks. i have seen guys coming in cowboy boots, boxers and t shirts. the gum on the trucks is good idea.

dave5171
05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I where yesterdays pants with a FD shirt but I keep my Bunker Gear in my car so I gear up then drive to the call. I don't make the truck anyways because I live a little further away from the hall so I normally go to the call. This works for me because I'm ready to go as soon as I get on scene when some guys are still trying to gear up.

JGallagher
05-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I showed up to a Rescue Call about 3 weeks ago in Full Dress Navy Uniform!!

canadiancarebear
05-08-2005, 04:35 PM
I keep a little pile of clothes beside my bed on the floor.

18atone
05-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Summer or winter it is a thin pair of socks and cotton gym shorts with cotton T-shirt or sweat shirt if it is cold; topped with a ball cap to hide the bed head. Hate climbing stairs in pants under the bunker gear and even thin sweats cling in no time. Never mind if you are cleaning up after burst hot water lines. Being in the core and now with all our cabs enclosed there is no reason to dress to warm. If driving would often have a polar fleece waiting in the cab.