Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Default Alberta bases/housing

Would anyone be able to explain how housing for fire crews works in Alberta? I know that in Ontario some bases provide accommodation while at others you need to find your own place to live. Also if anyone could comment on the training in Hinton for helitack crews that would be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Alberta supplies you with accomodation. Usually in the form of a large bunk shack. 12 rooms 2 beds per room, not a whole lot of room to store things. Hinton is a good time. Early morning fitness followed by classroom work and/or field labs. Do you know where your going in Alberta?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanks that's great, sure saves me alot of diggin around for a place to stay! I got a position at the Whitecourt base. Any experience with that neck of the woods? I'll be flying in from Ontario and heading to Whitecourt first but would you know if you're expected to get to training on your own or does your base help you out with that?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM

I have not worked in that area. I have driven through there several times heading to fires farther up north. I believe they have 2 or three bases placed throughout the district. In other districts they send all the rookies in several trucks, I would assume they would be doing the same there as well. Your best bet is to contact the office and ask about transportation info.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Hey Pistenbull, I worked in in the Woodlands district last year and I'm returning again this year. We have two bases there, one in Swan Hills and one in Fox Creek. Swan Hills is the larger base with 4 helitack crews while Fox Creek has 2. Last year for training we all met up in Whitecourt then were assigned our gear and drove down together in either SRD trucks or personal vehicles (our choice if we wanted our own cars there). My email is cmatwishyn@gmail.com if you have any other questions. Look forward to meeting you and having a good fire season.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 AM

Thanks cmat, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me