Quote:
Originally Posted by someday View Post
so wher did red devil go...............
I'll never tell!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profire View Post
I'll never tell!
why not......do u know him..........i serched but couldnt find his posts........my uncle says he was funny and sarcastick
Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday View Post
why not......do u know him..........i serched but couldnt find his posts........my uncle says he was funny and sarcastick
Yes many of us know him and have even golfed and had a beer with him.like so many of the guys and gals that used to regularly contribute are gone because of foreskins like arrow and other shit disturbers who really have nothing to really share other than their constant pissing and moaning or taking shots at unions etc I think he is a garbageman or pardon me a a waste disposal consultant.... but not like the mob guys.

There was quite a blowout several years ago and many ppl from both camps left.

Dentedhead
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead View Post
Yes many of us know him and have even golfed and had a beer with him.like so many of the guys and gals that used to regularly contribute are gone because of foreskins like arrow and other shit disturbers who really have nothing to really share other than their constant pissing and moaning or taking shots at unions etc I think he is a garbageman or pardon me a a waste disposal consultant.... but not like the mob guys.

There was quite a blowout several years ago and many ppl from both camps left.

Dentedhead
i think my uncle mentioned something about that........he said its not like good olddays.......
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 AM

Don't know about you guys but there's nothing worse than an experienced FF joining up, thinking he/she knows anything and everything about the organization and firefighting in general. It can reallly shake up the chemistry and piss off alot of guys.

I think what you'll want to do is go in an talk to the leadership group at your desired department. Make sure you make a point of acknowledging the fact that while you have experience in the fire service, you are in no way going to come in and try to change how they do things, or take a leadership role.

In other words. Tell them you are ready to be a probi again. If you aren't comfortable with that, then maybe the timing isn't right. It doesn't matter how much experience you have joining a new department as a firefighter. You have to prove yourself and work your way up from the bottom WITHOUT coming off as superior, cocky, or know it all.

Very tough task.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM
say no to CREST

Default True

You are right.

Why would you want someone coming into the department that actually knows something?

Better off for the taxpayers that the "beer bellies" and the "chief's son" run the place.

PLUS why save the taxpayers all the money of training someone with no experience?

No wonder full timers think Volunteers are a joke.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
You are right.

Why would you want someone coming into the department that actually knows something?

Better off for the taxpayers that the "beer bellies" and the "chief's son" run the place.

PLUS why save the taxpayers all the money of training someone with no experience?

No wonder full timers think Volunteers are a joke.
I take offense at your suggestion of automatic nepotism in a department. I myself am the son of a Chief, and I have served as a Firefighter and Deputy Chief on our small town department, and I know a lot of other firefighters in Command positions on departments where their fathers or other relatives serve who are the best qualified for the job.

hall_i_gan's point appears to be more of the case of a city career firefighter coming in to a small town volunteer department and trying to run it like a city department.

Neither of you managed to word your points completely succinctly or tactfully, but hall_i_gan came a lot closer.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hmckay91

To paraphrase firefighter recruitment comes down to the What, How, and Who you are.

What qualifications do you have is the easy part and many prospective recurits think this is the end all be all and the more the better (resume padding). This could not be further than the truth.

How you got those qualifications/experience is somewhat important. Many recruits do not focus or understand this and it is this in general that the floor will base its judgement on.

Who you are is the most important part. Frankly, if you have a commitment to service, a positive attitude, are motivated, and have the ability to learn the fire service can train you to do anything! This is what most fire services look for and if recruits don't get this part right they will never get hired/recruited.

Just like many sports coaches, the fire service will take attitude and heart above just about any amount of training, poor attitude, and baggage.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
I take offense at your suggestion of automatic nepotism in a department. I myself am the son of a Chief, and I have served as a Firefighter and Deputy Chief on our small town department, and I know a lot of other firefighters in Command positions on departments where their fathers or other relatives serve who are the best qualified for the job.

hall_i_gan's point appears to be more of the case of a city career firefighter coming in to a small town volunteer department and trying to run it like a city department.

Neither of you managed to word your points completely succinctly or tactfully, but hall_i_gan came a lot closer.
Who said anything about him being a "city career firefighter"? Lets use that example.If..and if is a big word a career guy decided to two hat I don't imagine he would walk into the local volly hall bigshotting.

Believe it or not I do talk talk to POC guys and have a great deal of respect for most of them.Nepotism or not, most of the complaints I have heard about this are from POCs about others going from one POC dept to another and then feel as though they need to posture for acceptance.i know now more than ever the movement on the career side is unprecedented. It seems like a 30 year man is going the way of the petch coat.When a guy goes from one municipality to the next in most cases they just go and fly under the radar and work with the new dept as if they had never been on the job.

I will agree nepotism is also going away and POC depts are looking at outside ppl for chief officer positions,as they do on our side.They may come from somewhere else,should that negate their expierience or knowledge base just because they worked/volunteered elsewhere? If a guy/gal knocks on your door and has experience why wouldn't you take a chance on them if their experience and references checkout. After an abridged training/probation period they should at least be given the chance to contribute.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead View Post
Who said anything about him being a "city career firefighter"? Lets use that example.If..and if is a big word a career guy decided to two hat I don't imagine he would walk into the local volly hall bigshotting.

Believe it or not I do talk talk to POC guys and have a great deal of respect for most of them.Nepotism or not, most of the complaints I have heard about this are from POCs about others going from one POC dept to another and then feel as though they need to posture for acceptance.i know now more than ever the movement on the career side is unprecedented. It seems like a 30 year man is going the way of the petch coat.When a guy goes from one municipality to the next in most cases they just go and fly under the radar and work with the new dept as if they had never been on the job.

I will agree nepotism is also going away and POC depts are looking at outside ppl for chief officer positions,as they do on our side.They may come from somewhere else,should that negate their expierience or knowledge base just because they worked/volunteered elsewhere? If a guy/gal knocks on your door and has experience why wouldn't you take a chance on them if their experience and references checkout. After an abridged training/probation period they should at least be given the chance to contribute.
Point conceded on the City/Career point, after re-reading it's clear hall_i_gan was referencing a firefighter from any environment moving to a new hall and bigshotting, I picked up the career thing from arrow's statements.