Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Default Lieu Days - Disappearing?

Has any one else heard of the rumour that our Lieu Days will be disappearing? The rumour that has been told to us is that unless we physically have worked the stat then we are not getting the lieu day.

I am curious to see what others thoughts on this are.

My thoughts are this, a normal Monday to Friday worker gets 11 statuatory holidays a year. If a stat falls on their normal day off (Saturday or Sunday) they get the Monday off.
So what they have told us is that if we work the stat we get a Lieu day, however; if we are on normal days off we do not get the lieu day because we are observing the stat by being off.

The CF does fall under the Canadian Labour Code and it is laid out in CLC - Part III Division V.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTR_651 View Post
Has any one else heard of the rumour that our Lieu Days will be disappearing? The rumour that has been told to us is that unless we physically have worked the stat then we are not getting the lieu day.

I am curious to see what others thoughts on this are.

My thoughts are this, a normal Monday to Friday worker gets 11 statuatory holidays a year. If a stat falls on their normal day off (Saturday or Sunday) they get the Monday off.
So what they have told us is that if we work the stat we get a Lieu day, however; if we are on normal days off we do not get the lieu day because we are observing the stat by being off.

The CF does fall under the Canadian Labour Code and it is laid out in CLC - Part III Division V.
Not trying to start a pissing match here but.
If your in a hall that actually has the manning to give out lieu days then I can see complianing about it. But of the 11 we get I was only able to use 3 this year and yes I actually worked almost every major holiday this year. And in the last few years I havent even come close to touching all 11. Unfortunatley the halls are hurting for guys and we still have a minimum manning we have to maintain.
Its a shame, YES, I understand where you are coming from but in the end think about this...you get 14 days off a month and your annual leave goes quite far. Even without the lieu days you work less than half the year. Go complain to some infantry guy or someone at CE and tell them you dont get enough time off and see how far you get. Do you think the boys deployed anywhere get lieu days for working a stat holiday? i dont think so.

Like a said I see where you are coming from and agree its not fair but in the end i really dont see complianing about it. Its just another thing about this trade that just doesnt quite make sense and makes you shake your head. The sad thing is someone in ottawa probably got promoted for thinking of the idea.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM

No worries I value all opinions. I agree I haven't It seen a lieu day in over 2 years. I agree that when we get time off we get a nice block off. I guess the main issue is time off in general. Hour to hour we work more than your average Monday to Friday worker and then factor in that we must do everything on our days off due to manpower shortages...Ie parades, courses, dog and ponies, etc... It equates to an exceptional amount of hours we work. The average Monday to Friday person does not work on their days off. Plus everything they do (parades, courses, etc...) is done on "company" time.

I also agree that someone in Ottawa probably got promoted for thinking of a way to increase manpower. There is however better ways of doing it.

I guess the main issue is that all the perks of the trade are disappearing.

Last edited by FFTR_651 : 02-14-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Well said. Seems like we are on the same page. I too agree that the good perks are disappearing. And the way they've gone about trying to increase manpower it is completly wrong. Its just like the SOA they came out with.

Its a shame that it boils down to what it does but like I said before manning must be met so unfortunetley we have to deal with it. Is it right? NO. But its the military and they dont seem to really care what people think.

Now think about this point. The person who came up with the idea is likely a day worker sitting in ottawa and gets every stat holiday off and isnt effected by the decision.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 AM

There has been no talk of this out west. One of our guys is on the steering comm. and was just at a meeting. No mention of this at all.
We can use lieu days if we want or get paid out.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8t View Post
There has been no talk of this out west. One of our guys is on the steering comm. and was just at a meeting. No mention of this at all.
We can use lieu days if we want or get paid out.
Im going to say civy DND is different than military. We dont get paid out for un used days
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM

And then they wonder why the troops are leaving the trade. I now get paid for lieu days that I do not use. If I have to work OT, I take it in time owing. If I have to go and do training on my days off, that’s time and a half. Hopefully someone in Ottawa, riding a desk and haven’t see a truck unless it’s a picture, reads these comments. They have to learn to stop abusing the military firefighters. The time off the firefighter gets is earned! But let’s face it they don’t care because it does not affect them.

As for doing tours, yes they have to get done and do your time but the Army has it right. They take care of their guys and gives them the time off they deserve. There was even time given under the table. ETO I think they called it. EARNED TIME OFF!

You’ll hear the same stories over and over “When I was on the trucks...” or “When I was at sea....” Yea you also had more firefighters in the trade so there was less BS going around, postings were in years not months, IR was a dirty word not the first thing out of the CM mouth, and you had less sea time as well.

Remember “The trade is healthy and the numbers are good” LMFAO

Stay safe Brothers and Sisters. CHIMO!!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 PM

well said goose.
someone should really send this link to the cffms office, maybe he will read a few other threads / rants about the trade. or better yet post it on the firehouse651 site and see how quick it takes the oldtimers to have a bird hahaha.