Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 AM

Hi Rockey,
List of some food that will help you in gaining weight and do add these food items in your daily meals to gain effectively.
Pasta, baked potatoes, avocados, granola, fried and fatty foods. Drinking soft drinks is also effective in gaining weight.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaner View Post
Hi Rockey,
List of some food that will help you in gaining weight and do add these food items in your daily meals to gain effectively.
Pasta, baked potatoes, avocados, granola, fried and fatty foods. Drinking soft drinks is also effective in gaining weight.
In addition drink protein meals or proteins bars in your daily meals.
san antonio gym
Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote from Donny Shankles from California Strength "if you're a weightlifter and reading this and you dont have food in your hand, your wrong"

Try more milk, 4 litres a day of whole milk. I tried it for one month and had great gains in strength. Tried it again and still had great gains but put on fat weight. Everyone at my gym who has tried it has had similar results.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM

20yo......wait 5 yrs........you wont have to do anything!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggins View Post
You know, in as much as I contribute to helping people make gains in strength / size (not always directly proportional) our particular genetics are geared towards helping our body be efficient based on a certain structure.

A lot of people in this "hard gainer" category weren't meant to be big, right down to their very DNA structure. You're really putting a lot of stress on EVERYTHING from your joints to your heart, your lungs... even your guts.

A person really needs to ask themself what they're trying to get bigger for. The perception that it's "sexy?" Job function? Insecurity?

The bulky muscle dork has never been particularly attractive to the masses and is more often than not just consumed with themselves in a fashion most find repugnant. The job function is another no because very seldom is being bigger going to be a bennefit: You go through air faster, your work time is often reduced because your body is working in lower rep, higher weight fashion and if you ever have anything heavy to do then you call someone else over or use a piece of equipment. Insecurity? Well- that's everyone's own issue to deal with- but there are much easier ways than trying to gain weight through weight training and aggressive anti-dieting.

Some guys are made to run marathons, some guys are made for combat challenge and some guys are made for powerlifting. I think a person needs to evaluate where they fit into the equation and stick to it because the last thing the world needs is another roided out marshmallow who inflates and deflates with every cycle and has a whole load of "I use to could" stories about how much he used to be able to lift- like anyone cares anymore.

Eat healthy, replenish your body, train hard. Be satisfied with the results.

End soapbox session.
A bit of an older thread for me to bring up, but...

This is a great post that shouldn't be overlooked. Functional fitness is what's important. Training for the sole purpose of gaining weight doesn't add to your overall fitness.

In the past I 'trained' for gaining weight and that consisted of eating a lot. 6 meals per day, all meals planned in advance. 30% fats, 30% carbs, 40% protein. Only healthy fats, complex carbs and lean quality protein. I made sure I got lot's of sleep at night and never worked out on back to back days to avoid 'over-training'. I only lifted weights focusing mainly on compound movements. I had a workout plan laid out months in advance. Cardio became 'taboo' for me as I started following the hard-gainer mantra; "if you don't have to run, walk, if you don't have to walk, stand, if you don't have to stand, sit"

When I was your age and before starting this type of program I was 127 pounds at 5'9ish. I followed my program to tee and settled in at 140 before realizing that my goals were out of touch with what was important.

10 years later I'm somewhere between 160 and 170 lbs and I don't worry much about the scale. I still have days where I lift heavy weights, but I also run, I do boot camp/crossfit type classes, I do body weight exercises etc.. My focus is on staying in shape for whatever might come at me outside of the gym. Strength, speed, endurance it's all important.

The best part about my old program was the meal planning. I still try to eat 5 - 6 meals a day with a balanced ratio of carbs, protein and fat. I really recommend you read up on nutrition and learn how to fuel your body throughout the day. Make sure you replenish your nutrients properly post workout, read up on recovery drinks. Take a casein shake before bed.

I've read tips on this thread about drinking pop, eating fried and fatty foods or eating McDonalds... I will have to disagree strongly here even if you decide that you want gaining weight to be your only goal. Gaining weight can be done through lifting heavy, resting often, and eating a tonne of healthy food. Junk food is junk food no matter what your goals. Sure they'll help you gain weight, but not the kind of weight you are looking for.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 PM

coming from a kinesiology background, RiverR is right... Junk food is junk food no matter how you look at it. If you want to put on weight for life, train like an athlete, lift reasonably heavy, mix in cardio, do a lot of core work, eat healthy, sleep properly and drink lots of water. Have a look at both proteins, pre-workout and recovery drinks. I personally use IsoNatural as a protein powder, BioSteel HPSD for pre and during exercise, and BioSteel ARF for post-workout. For before your workout (at least an hour), you want protein to provide your body with what it will need to help you rebuild the muscle you damage through working out, pre/during try out the BioSteel, different supplements do different things, but if nothing else, drink water pre/during like an athlete (up to 500 mL before and 250mL every half hour by sipping on it). For recovery you do need protein, but more importantly is carbs which will help you keep energy up and prevent your body from using the protein for its energy needs.
To put on weight, you NEED to eat healthy and balanced, just eat more calories than you would for maintenance. If you just want to put on fat, do what some have said and eat McDonalds and that shit until you want to puke
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockeh View Post
Hey all,

I've had tons of help and support from a few members here regarding my fitness and I've taken their feedback to good use, however I would like to make an open discussion about how to gain weight.

Here's my situation, I'm 20 years old, weigh 143 pounds and am 5'9. I have a very high metabolism, I could eat everything in the world and not gain a pound.

Would anyone be able to offer any tips on how I could gain weight? I'm trying to work on building muscle mass which seems almost impossible with not a lot of fat content on me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: overall, I'm looking for feedback on how to gain weight/muscle mass and strength.

These are some of the weight gain tips:

1.You should take high protein diet like Chicken, steak, fish, turkey and protein shakes.
2. Concentrate on eating a lot of starchy carbs including rice, baked potato’s and pasta.
3. Do exercice regularly.
4. Continue to feed every 3-4 hours up to 6 times a day

If you follow these tips you can get more muscles than fat. It is the smartest way to gain weight.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Probie

Thanks all for the tips! I've decided to eat like a cow and went with a 'Starting Strength' workout for the last month and a half.

Proud to report that my previous weigh-in was 136 pounds about 2 months ago and I now stand at 158! Dramatic increases. Not going for too much more but definitely reaching my goal weight and strength-gaining.

Thanks guys
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Just out of curiosity did you put on a lot of fat with that rapid of a gain? Did you take any before and after measurements? I have found in the past it is also usefull to take measurements of the chest, bicep, fore arm, waist, glutes/hips, quad/hamstrings, and calf. This gives you much better idea of actual muscle gain, but even with measurements fat can somewhat skew the results.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 AM

Default Gaining weight

That's quite a good news that you have got a high metabolism and you can eat anything you like. It is important for a person to eat a good as well as healthy amount of food to gain weight. Apart from eating food, workout is also important.

I may suggest you to join a gym a start doing Weight Training as it is very helpful in building muscles and gaining weight. But do your workout moderately or else you may hurt yourself. You can also take some help from your gym trainer regarding weight gain.