Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Emergency Medical Services > Paramedics
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Can Ontario College Student work in Alberta?

Hello people , just had a question. If I were to complete Paramedic course in Ontario would I be able to work in Alberta?
Like a Red Seal for Paramedics , you get me?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenz_Ontario View Post
Hello people , just had a question. If I were to complete Paramedic course in Ontario would I be able to work in Alberta?

If you complete a Primary Care Paramedic program, you should be able to (after going through the appropriate channels) practice in alberta as an EMT. If you reach the level of an Advanced Care Paramedic, you should be able to (after going through the appropriate channels) practice in alberta as an EMT-P (in alberta, referred to as a "paramedic.")

As far as red seal for paramedics, no, i dont get you.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenz_Ontario View Post
Hey jenz, there is no Red Seal per-say for paramedics but if you get on with a canadian medical association (cma) approved course then your able to go work in any province or territory across canada. Like what was said above, the pcp program here in ontario meets the emt standards in alberta so you wouldn't be recognized as a paramedic but its just the patch that's different really. I believe anything you learned here in ontario as a pcp are transferable to the emt role in alberta. I would recommend looking around for cma approved colleges, I am attending lambton college in sarnia starting in september and they have a 6 year approval for the cma. Fanshawe also has cma approval but I believe it is 2 - 4 yrs. Also, if I'm not mistaken, durham college is cma approved. Either way do your research, email the coordinators and find out if they have it and how long its good for because there is an expirary date.