Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Firefighting
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Default are there any larger firefighters out there?

I want to become a firefighter because I think that it is the greatest job ever. However, I am fairly large in mass, and I'm concerned about the fitness training at JIBC. The strength stuff, I've gotten down, I'm just more concerned about the running and cardio stuff. I was just wondering if there are any larger firefighters out there that can share their experiences and how you dealt with fitness training. And no fat jokes please.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16290 View Post
I want to become a firefighter because I think that it is the greatest job ever. However, I am fairly large in mass, and I'm concerned about the fitness training at JIBC. The strength stuff, I've gotten down, I'm just more concerned about the running and cardio stuff. I was just wondering if there are any larger firefighters out there that can share their experiences and how you dealt with fitness training. And no fat jokes please.
USFA statistics put Firefighter line of duty death rates are approximately 60% heart attack for 2011. I'm told Canadian figures are approximately the same.

You deal with it the same way you deal with anything you don't like doing but have to: You grit your teeth and damn well do it anyway.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16290 View Post
I'm a larger guy (265 lbs/5'10'' at my peak) but always pretty active in sports. When I decided I wanted to become a firefighter, I started running. Its not a fun sport for big guys but its cheap, simple and effective. Get the John Statnton book from the running room and a good pair of running shoes and get it done. The key is running on a 10 to 1 system. You run for 10 min and walk for 1. Even if you can't make 10 min when you start it gives you measurable benchmarks to strive for. I finished my first half marathon about three weeks before I started recruit training. You'll need to do other physical training for the recruitment testing but running is a great way to shed pounds and improve overall fitness (imo).

The other posts about LODDs are also important. When you get hired, big guys like us have a very easy time putting weight back on. That can be deadly (literally). If you have more questions or want more advise feel free to fire me a pm. I love to see the big boys out on the running trails!

Cheers,

Splash
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
FTCB

Not sure what you mean by bigger guys,do you mean fat bastards or guys who are more clydesdale like vs the thoroughbred type.

Dentedhead
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Guys like splashover. Are you talking about horses here? Haha
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM

You mean like a Samsquatch? We had one of those come through as a student we jammed him in a smart car, still got the picture somewhere.......