Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Default Medical training GTA

Hello, my name is Scott, I am just at the beginning of my journey to become a firefighter. My question is regarding medical courses. I have my standard first aid and am planning on taking the emergency first responder course, which is a 40 hour course. After that I can take the emergency medical responder which is an 80 hour course. What level of training are ff's normally trained to? Is taking the emr course overkill, or is there no such thing as overkill?

Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotech View Post
Hello, my name is Scott, I am just at the beginning of my journey to become a firefighter. My question is regarding medical courses. I have my standard first aid and am planning on taking the emergency first responder course, which is a 40 hour course. After that I can take the emergency medical responder which is an 80 hour course. What level of training are ff's normally trained to? Is taking the emr course overkill, or is there no such thing as overkill?

Thanks
No such thing as over kill.... but FESTI medical courses can be very costly...take a look around at some Red Cross providers, you may get a better deal.
On the other hand, look into volunteering with st. john ambulance with a medical responder division...this way you get some volunteering,community involvement..and free training and certification to the level you are wanting.

Just my 6 cents.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to cmollison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotech View Post

Thanks
It really depends on where you plan to get hired. The EFR or EMR courses are great but not required or recogonized in Ontario for example. Your money could be more wisely on getting a DZ or province equivelant.