Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Study books

Hey guys,
Im selling all my prep books as i dont need them anymore.
They are:
The Complete Guide to become a FireFighter by Kory Pearn
Street Scenarios for Emt/Paramedic by Brent Baunworth
The FireFighters Workout Book by Michael Stefano
Study Guide for the Fire Fighter Interview by Shawn Cooligan
Baron's FireFighter Exam Prep 6th Edition
FireFighter Exam Preperation Book By Norman Hall
Essientials 5th Edition by IFSTA

All helped me along with extra info if any one is interested pm me
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P509 View Post
Flamer2,
I just did my exam in March and I didn't find the exam poorly worded or confusing at all. It was a tough exam for sure but just study your books and u should be fine. There is a rewrite but unfortunately its in Sept when the next exam group goes through. I know ESA puts on a 1 day refresher a few days before the exam and I hear they are a top shelf school. Check out their website for dates. As for the practical it was surprisingly easy. I was all prepped for a big crazy trauma and I got a simple poising. Plus the examiners where super laid back and friendly. The hardest part was definitely the written. Study up on ur Health and Emergency Acts stuff. Good luck man, hope that helps
Thanks for your response, I'm just about to take the exam. I'm not really worried about the scenarios just the written exam. Do you know if its a 70% or 80% that is required to pass? Also they are doing a refresher course before the exam and would you recommend taking it? I did the course in late February so I remember all the information but I just don't want to risk failing.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamer2 View Post
Thanks for your response, I'm just about to take the exam. I'm not really worried about the scenarios just the written exam. Do you know if its a 70% or 80% that is required to pass? Also they are doing a refresher course before the exam and would you recommend taking it? I did the course in late February so I remember all the information but I just don't want to risk failing.
It was 70% when I took it last year. I took a refresher course but I really didn't think it was worth it after I was done. It was a pretty basic test.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Alright, maybe I'm over-thinking the exam. I'll just study the book and the scenario sheet. $150 can be better spent on other things.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 PM

I didnt take the refresher and I just found out last week that I passed. From my understanding there is no passing mark, the exam is graded on a curve. From what I heard they grade it on each question. If everybody gets a certain question wrong they eliminate it from the exam. Kinda messed up eh? I counted how many I though I got wrong and it was around 30. So it might have been 70% pass rate for that exam class. I didnt make a lot of sense to me but I passed so I dont really care! lol. Just hit the book buddy, you'll get'er!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Default thoughts?

After applying and submitting your resume you are asked to choose a date for writing the aptitude test. I have heard that some applicants scheduled their tests for later in the week in order to get information from those who write earlier in the week as to what the content of the test is, so they can study/prepare accordingly.

What are your thoughts on this guys? would you provide information to others about the test to give them an advantage?

personally i think the best candidate deserves the job, using your resources to excel in any part of the process is smart. if someone were to be talking about what was on the test would you listen? and would you tell another applicant that you are competing against for a job what was on the test?

I would like to stir up some conversation about this.

B
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM

I think if your waiting till the week of the aptitude test to start studying your probably a little behind the game. If your serious about this job, you would have already been studying since you applied and be ready for whatever presents itself. Just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeerIsRed View Post
I think if your waiting till the week of the aptitude test to start studying your probably a little behind the game. If your serious about this job, you would have already been studying since you applied and be ready for whatever presents itself. Just my opinion.
I really couldn’t agree more on that, though it would be nice to have a bit of specific information on what to focus on for your final review before the test. I do wish the best of luck for everyone writing, though I will likely not be volunteering information to other candidates about what to study before they write. I have chosen the earliest date in the week that was available to write, so I will not be trying to benefit from knowledge of the test from others. If everyone has the same opportunity and works hard, the best candidate for the job will be picked, I think that is the way it should be. I am really not overly concerned about this, I think the best candidate deserves the job, but I was curious about what others thoughts on this type of thing were. Thanks for the comment TheDeerIsRed.

B
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Default Math Formula

Does anyone know if you get a the formula for the math part of the exam with the questions?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfromhere View Post
Does anyone know if you get a the formula for the math part of the exam with the questions?
Nope. Gotta use your smarts for that