#1  
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM
mike2427 mike2427 is offline
 
Posts: 1
Default 91 Grumman Aerial Cat 102' Tower

Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM
irsqyu's Avatar
irsqyu irsqyu is offline
Senior's Club Member
 
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 2,606
Default

I have since retired but we once had an 85 for a number of years. If I remember correctly we used to apply the outriggers until the bulge was out of the tires making sure all of the outrigger lights were on on the control panel. The outriggers would come off the ground if you went off the side at a very low angle. If you are working at a low angle you should go off the rear if at all possible. Midland still has this particular truck in service I believe, you could get in touch with them as they are more current with it. I believe Grumman was taken over by KME.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Grumman Aerialcat.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	3878  
__________________
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM
xyz1 xyz1 is offline
 
Posts: 22
Default

Kingsville, Ontario runs a '91 Grumman 102' tower. Check with them, I'm sure they could help you out. www.kingsvillefire.ca
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 AM
irsqyu's Avatar
irsqyu irsqyu is offline
Senior's Club Member
 
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 2,606
Default

Here's a picture of it in action a number of years ago, wheels on the ground, bulge out of the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	3879  
__________________
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM
FLASHOVER05's Avatar
FLASHOVER05 FLASHOVER05 is offline
RIP DFCSmash
 
Location: Back in the Land of Trees and Water
Posts: 2,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2427 View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals
Where did you acquire it?
__________________
How the hell did I end up here?????
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
uzbek uzbek is offline
 
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz1 View Post
Kingsville, Ontario runs a '91 Grumman 102' tower. Check with them, I'm sure they could help you out. www.kingsvillefire.ca
Guelph has a 1990 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 AM
PFD023's Avatar
PFD023 PFD023 is offline
 
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2427 View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals
Call Midland and ask to speak to their Training Officer ....good guy. If you are lucky they might even copy their operating manual for the truck. Probably a few other quirks about the truck model you guys would need to know as well.......good for you for trying to get the correct info rather than the "that should work" response.....lol.
Jake brake "off" on that one while in pump gear?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 AM
irsqyu's Avatar
irsqyu irsqyu is offline
Senior's Club Member
 
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 2,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFD023 View Post
Call Midland and ask to speak to their Training Officer ....good guy. If you are lucky they might even copy their operating manual for the truck. Probably a few other quirks about the truck model you guys would need to know as well.......good for you for trying to get the correct info rather than the "that should work" response.....lol.
Jake brake "off" on that one while in pump gear?
Great advice, i know a very detailed training and operation manual went with the truck when it went to Midland. I had one in my filing cabinet but unfortunately threw it away when I retired. When we first got it we ran it as the main pump out of our HQ station. Silly idea at the time, constantly catching tree branches. Only had 250 gal booster tank as well. Weighed in at 77,000 lbs and 47' long.

Forgot to mention, when we wad completed our training and qualified to drive and operate the truck we were considered to be "grummanized"
__________________
"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."

Last edited by irsqyu : 04-24-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Just because I can
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
wardd16 wardd16 is offline
 
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsqyu View Post
Great advice, i know a very detailed training and operation manual went with the truck when it went to Midland. I had one in my filing cabinet but unfortunately threw it away when I retired. When we first got it we ran it as the main pump out of our HQ station. Silly idea at the time, constantly catching tree branches. Only had 250 gal booster tank as well. Weighed in at 77,000 lbs and 47' long.

Forgot to mention, when we wad completed our training and qualified to drive and operate the truck we were considered to be "grummanized"
We do have a training manual for it and as of today it is out of service as the drive shaft fell out of it today as we were bringing it over to have it saftied ironically enough
Send me a pm and I will get you some contact info
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.