Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM

Default 91 Grumman Aerial Cat 102' Tower

Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Senior's Club Member

I have since retired but we once had an 85 for a number of years. If I remember correctly we used to apply the outriggers until the bulge was out of the tires making sure all of the outrigger lights were on on the control panel. The outriggers would come off the ground if you went off the side at a very low angle. If you are working at a low angle you should go off the rear if at all possible. Midland still has this particular truck in service I believe, you could get in touch with them as they are more current with it. I believe Grumman was taken over by KME.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Grumman Aerialcat.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	3878  
Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Kingsville, Ontario runs a '91 Grumman 102' tower. Check with them, I'm sure they could help you out. www.kingsvillefire.ca
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Senior's Club Member

Here's a picture of it in action a number of years ago, wheels on the ground, bulge out of the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	3879  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM
RIP DFCSmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2427 View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here has any info on this truck as we just aquired one and since the company no longer makes these vehicles, it seems any info out there is pretty vague. We need to know such things as, is it normal for the outriggers to come off the ground on the opposite side of the working side. Tires off the ground or not, when the outriggers are deployed. I know the preffered working area is off the back. Every time we ask a question all we seem to get is maybe or yeah it should work. Any info would be great. Thanks Guys and gals
Where did you acquire it?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz1 View Post
Kingsville, Ontario runs a '91 Grumman 102' tower. Check with them, I'm sure they could help you out. www.kingsvillefire.ca
Guelph has a 1990 as well.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2427 View Post
Call Midland and ask to speak to their Training Officer ....good guy. If you are lucky they might even copy their operating manual for the truck. Probably a few other quirks about the truck model you guys would need to know as well.......good for you for trying to get the correct info rather than the "that should work" response.....lol.
Jake brake "off" on that one while in pump gear?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Senior's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFD023 View Post
Call Midland and ask to speak to their Training Officer ....good guy. If you are lucky they might even copy their operating manual for the truck. Probably a few other quirks about the truck model you guys would need to know as well.......good for you for trying to get the correct info rather than the "that should work" response.....lol.
Jake brake "off" on that one while in pump gear?
Great advice, i know a very detailed training and operation manual went with the truck when it went to Midland. I had one in my filing cabinet but unfortunately threw it away when I retired. When we first got it we ran it as the main pump out of our HQ station. Silly idea at the time, constantly catching tree branches. Only had 250 gal booster tank as well. Weighed in at 77,000 lbs and 47' long.

Forgot to mention, when we wad completed our training and qualified to drive and operate the truck we were considered to be "grummanized"

Last edited by irsqyu : 04-24-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Just because I can
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsqyu View Post
Great advice, i know a very detailed training and operation manual went with the truck when it went to Midland. I had one in my filing cabinet but unfortunately threw it away when I retired. When we first got it we ran it as the main pump out of our HQ station. Silly idea at the time, constantly catching tree branches. Only had 250 gal booster tank as well. Weighed in at 77,000 lbs and 47' long.

Forgot to mention, when we wad completed our training and qualified to drive and operate the truck we were considered to be "grummanized"
We do have a training manual for it and as of today it is out of service as the drive shaft fell out of it today as we were bringing it over to have it saftied ironically enough
Send me a pm and I will get you some contact info