Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Wildland
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Lightbulb How does a Canadian citizen become a seasonal wildland firefighter in Australia?

Hey all firehall.com members,

I am currently finishing a Pre-Service Firefighter program in Ontario. I have always wanted to go to Australia and I've planned on taking a trip down under when I graduate. I recently had the idea of potentially working there for a fire season. From what I have learned on the interwebs, most wildland firefighters in Australia are volunteers. This is not an issue for me as I would be going for the adventure and not the money. However, getting paid would be nice.

Could anyone please tell me how to go about doing this? Or have any websites to refer to? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKG View Post
Hey all firehall.com members,

I am currently finishing a Pre-Service Firefighter program in Ontario. I have always wanted to go to Australia and I've planned on taking a trip down under when I graduate. I recently had the idea of potentially working there for a fire season. From what I have learned on the interwebs, most wildland firefighters in Australia are volunteers. This is not an issue for me as I would be going for the adventure and not the money. However, getting paid would be nice.

Could anyone please tell me how to go about doing this? Or have any websites to refer to? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Not sure of the details (if you find out let me know). However, what I have heard is that you need to be "in country" to apply. It sounds pretty risky to me that you could spend thousands of $ to get there and not get hired on. Just my two cents.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM
schmidt

Default Australia

Hey, I think I can help. I was employed with the Department of Sustainablility and Enviornment in Australia for a fire season. It wasn't easy, but it can be done. I applied when I was here in Canada, but to be considered you have to be there. I had planned on being there for when they were hiring, so it worked out. They may call you on a Friday for an interview on Monday, so...
It was interview, medical, fitness then job offer. You have to have the appropriate visa to be considered also. I had a working holiday visa, which worked prefectly. If you plan on going back for a second season, you must be aware that you will only be granted if you work in Regional Australia (Immigration has a list of approved areas). You also have to be under 31 to do this as well.
If you have any questions, let me know. I would be glad to help and had the time of my life working with them. Amazing experience!