Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Volunteer
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM

Default Volunteer Interview

Hi folks

Ive been researching the site the last week and learning as much as I can. I have an interview for a Volunteer department on Tuesday. Does anybody have and idea what questions I may get asked?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiRam View Post
Hi folks

Ive been researching the site the last week and learning as much as I can. I have an interview for a Volunteer department on Tuesday. Does anybody have and idea what questions I may get asked?

Thanks in advance
Likely the typical questions like,

What do you do if one of the firefighters shows up at the station and appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol and is wanting to respond to the call.

You notice that one of your fellow FF's hasn't been pulling their weight around the station, ie. Cleaning trucks, helping to restock, etc etc.. What do you say? Who do you report it to?

Tell us about a conflict that you have had with a co-worker, how was it resolved...

Those type of questions. I wouldn't expect there to be many (if any) about the firefighting role in general. But, as I have never actually done an interview for a volunteer FF position, its just a guess..
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Expect typical job interview questions, also questions about the amount of time they expect from you in regards to calls, trainings, meetings etc......When I did interviews I basically laid it all out there.......this is what I expect, what do you think? And then take note of the reaction more than the answer
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM

awesome info. Thanks alot folks.

I'll keep ya posted on how I make out
Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 PM

When I did my interview these were the questions I got that I can remember:
Why do you want to be a firefighter? Here they were looking for people who are genuinely interested in doing it to help others and serve their community.
What do you do to continue bettering yourself? Here they were looking for continuing education, courses, etc.
Volunteer firefighting requires a significant time commitment. Will you be able to attend the majority of fire calls and training? For me this was no problem as I'm often around during the week.
What do you do to stay physically active in your daily life? You don't have to be a pro athlete, but they didn't want couch potatoes either.
Do you works well in a team environment and can you give an example? I'm sure you know that firefighting is a team activity so this one is self explanatory.

They also asked about major roads and intersections in the area and some general aptitude questions regarding building construction, small motors, and electrical wiring. Nothing beyond the very basic stuff.

Hope that helps and good luck Tuesday.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the insight JayG.

I guess I can provide a little bit of my background for ya's

I am currently a police officer and have been for 6 years. Prior to that I took the Paramedic program in college. And before that I started my apprenticeship as a car mechanic. I am in the last couple weeks of my final block of schooling to finish my apprenticeship so I can write my license.

As for the time commitment, I work shifts and do 4 on and 4 off. I also live and work in the same township that the volunteer department is in.

thanks again for the help folks.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 AM

I had my interview. I was asked 11 questions. They did give me the "firefighter under the influence" question. Also asked about how I would be able to manage the time commitment. All in all I think the interview went well. I should hear back in a couple weeks.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Excellent! With your past training and experiences you'd have lots to offer. Good luck
Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 AM

How was your interview?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 PM

I think the interview went quite well. it was only 10 minutes long. The questions weren't tough but I found that the answers were mainly common sense.

I did the written testing two weeks ago and it was difficult. It was heavily based on math and logical thinking.

Nest up is the agility testing. If anybody has any insight on that it would be helpful.