Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Default No written exam

I noticed that the Burnaby fire department does not administer a written examination as outlined here http://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/...t-Process.html This seems very unusual and I have not heard of this before. Are there other departments in Canada that don't have written exams/aptitude tests?

Last edited by JayG : 05-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I noticed that the Burnaby fire department does not administer a written examination as outlined here http://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services/...t-Process.html This seems very unusual and I have not heard of this before. Are there other departments in Canada that don't have written exams/aptitude tests?
The way it should be,that 8 day orientation period will separate the good from the bad regardless of how well they write a test.The guys on the floor can see through any bullshit,instead of a white shirt and HR lady working from a script.Too bad its not practical for most depts.This isn't new this has been done by several California depts inc LA.They also have another test where they place 4-8 candidates in a stn mock up with a real Capt in charge and they spend 24hrs together and it is treated as shift....except they don't run calls.It too is apparently quite telling.

Dentedhead
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM

That's interesting for sure, but I can definitely see how a program like the ride along or mock up shift will give a department a much closer to reality idea of how suited someone is for the job better than a test or even an interview ever could. Anyone who has spent anytime in the working world has come across many people who ace tests and are completely useless in the workforce. Still definitely an anomaly though.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 PM

Someone might correct me, but I'm pretty sure Esquimalt hasn't been doing writtens on Vancouver Island.

Bigger departments often use it to weed through the large volume of candidates.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen View Post
Someone might correct me, but I'm pretty sure Esquimalt hasn't been doing writtens on Vancouver Island.

Bigger departments often use it to weed through the large volume of candidates.
Its a combination of that and because they have to! Apparently they don't think FDs know how to hire firefighters and it removes any type of cronyism.Mostly brought on by non hackers that didn't get hired and went crying foul to the media lawyers etc.

Dentedhead