Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Default When is it acceptable to break chain of command??

For example, say you show up at your lieutenant's home unannounced on a day off, and he is clearly under the influence of marijuana. How would you proceed??
Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM

it's possible he didn't inhale
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFFF View Post
For example, say you show up at your lieutenant's home unannounced on a day off, and he is clearly under the influence of marijuana. How would you proceed??
Its nobodies business what he does on his time off,if he does it at work whole nuther story.

Do you pride yourself in being a rat?

Dentedhead
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Roadwarrior

What DH said....
Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead View Post
Its nobodies business what he does on his time off,if he does it at work whole nuther story.

Do you pride yourself in being a rat?

Dentedhead

Of course not. It was a question in an aptitude test I once took, and was not really sure how to answer.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Default Intersting

That is an interesting question though. Because I think from a brotherhood/chain of command perspective, DH hit the nail on the head, but at the same time, don't most services want to see your commitment to maintaining high standards on and off the job? How would you vets say is the correct way to answer this question?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM

I would love to see the "right answers" on all the situational based tests i did. I'd love to compare what the test bank says is right and what most guys on the job answer...
Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 AM
FTCB

Like anything else there will be a common sense answer and a corporate answer.

I still stand by the rule what you do away from the hall is your business,within acceptable parameters obviously.Other than the fact that weed is still technically considered illegal It is less impairing than alcohol would you run to the chief every time you showed up at a brothers house and he was having a beer?

Is Lou a chronic? Dos it affect his work? Maybe he has been RX for an medical condition that he has not told anyone about and only uses it when he is off shift.Too many variables to have a pat answer.

To the initial poster my apology if I was out of line with the rat comment I just noticed it is in scenarios.However if it was areal life deal I would still consider the person a rat.If it does not affect the good order and safety of the dept,shift or individual FF its none of yours/theirs or my business what a guy does when he is not working.

Dentedhead
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 AM

There is no "right" answer. There are many answers based on which competing value(s) of many, you interpret as the most important in the situation.

The key here is to gather information/facts. Are there legitimate reasons for the situation (illness, enviroment, side job, etc.)? Once the facts are determined you can evaluate the possible options by weighing the pros and cons of each. Presumably, selecting an option with the most net positive effect.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 AM

If your close enough with your Lt. to be showing up at his place on a day off unannounced, you probably know him well enough to know that he smokes dope. If you like your station and crew you do nothing, maybe take a drag, if you don't like your station or crew you call the rat line and enjoy the rest of your career being known as a rat and no one talks to you.