Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Default Training Ideas

I'm looking for some training ideas from you guys that you have tried and were successful with. The guys at my hall have said they would like training to be a bit more realistic, rather than carrying ladders around the hall and stuff like that. (even tho we still have to go thru that too!) My hall is volunteer, 25 members, anywhere from 12 to 20 show up at weekly practices, which run from 7 to approx 9.

I'll start off with one;
I drove around town and chose some addresses and set up a scenario. eg, 123 Main St. -bedroom fire on main floor. The guys had to drive over, take a look and write down resources needed, truck placement, rit setup, location of accountability, hydrant locations etc, etc.
It really got their minds working, got them to find some streets they may not have been familiar with, and since it was so hot out, they didn't have to wear gear, plus it was all real things that could happen.
They all were quite positive about it after!
Really got them thinking with the "22 foot boat about one third of the way out in the river, anchored, fully involved"! Some awesome suggestions came up!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from others' experiences with training!

Thanks
Iceman26 Capt/TO
Old 08-28-2010, 04:06 AM

I am also from a voluntary department. We do practice every week for a couple hours. The last one was a scenario involving gas leak at the cadets training building. Call came in as alarms ringing and on the way, it was changed for gas leak.We had to do a search on 2 buildings and take care of victims. It was really interesting. The nice thing about that is a week later, we got an alarms ringing call on that same base. Training sure made it easier as we knew the layout of the building.

Our officers makes good training practices for us. Also, firefighters were asked to make up practices so everyone get involved.

We also did a fire fit practice were we had to pull a charged hose, move the dummy, climb stairs and rise a pack. Damn Perka for coming up with that idea... We had fun that day even if it was sweaty.

Hope that helped a bit.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM

the fire fit practice is always good thats for sure.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM

One scenerio I am working on is for our rookie class is a scene set up. They will have to take the rescue truck and have it set up for that of an MVC in the evening. This will have them thinking about what equipment should be set up at the tool dump, where they can find it on the truck, as well as how to set up lighting and start all the powered equipment that is needed.

It seems rather basic but you have to remember what comes as second nature for the experienced needs to be learned and practiced.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Gamma Male

Send a message via MSN to Outlaw

A good one I used the other night: Set up 2 45gal drums and seperate your crew into 2 teams. Use your Chief and Training officer as judges and have the 2 teams race to see who can fill up the 45 gal drum the quickest. The catch is, a 10 second penalty for everything the crew does wrong: Ie. SCBA not hooked up properly, only one man on the attack hose, etc, etc.

I got alot of great feedback from the crew on this one.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 AM

one practise we do once in a while for haz mat, is to practise a gas leak, where we crack open a firehall air line (air gun) or an scba tank (old tanks we use for air tools) and send the guys into the blacked out firehall to search for the leak to shut off the valve, and sometimes we drop a dummy into the scenario to spice things up. We have also used our tanker truck to simulate an oil truck leaking after an accident (using placards stuck on with tape) we have done territorial reconnaissance with different types of calls where we give an adress they must find, and give the proper information on the location, or switch things around, and give just the name of a company and they must find it and give the adress... as most, we do scba practises in the fire hall with dummies (and mannekins lol) but once in a while we throw a man down alert in there without telling them... and once they bring the dummy out, we have a cpr dummy to practise doing cpr on their victim... Everytime we can mix more than one type of practice together, we do it...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompier5 View Post
one practise we do once in a while for haz mat, is to practise a gas leak, where we crack open a firehall air line (air gun) or an scba tank (old tanks we use for air tools) and send the guys into the blacked out firehall to search for the leak to shut off the valve, and sometimes we drop a dummy into the scenario to spice things up. We have also used our tanker truck to simulate an oil truck leaking after an accident (using placards stuck on with tape) we have done territorial reconnaissance with different types of calls where we give an adress they must find, and give the proper information on the location, or switch things around, and give just the name of a company and they must find it and give the adress... as most, we do scba practises in the fire hall with dummies (and mannekins lol) but once in a while we throw a man down alert in there without telling them... and once they bring the dummy out, we have a cpr dummy to practise doing cpr on their victim... Everytime we can mix more than one type of practice together, we do it...

not to bash your sceneraio but if there was a gas leak I wouldn't be crawling inside looking for the leaky line...
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM

hey, no problem... for natural gas, ok, but we have industries who use ammonia lines for freezing food... we have to practise for search and rescue and to control the situation by limiting the quantity of gas...
Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM

But with a gas leak you wouldn't be crawling, visibility would be 100%