#11  
Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 PM
ffnlee ffnlee is offline
 
Posts: 7
Default

yeah, i woulda waited 4+ years for toronto to open up...good luck
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM
iguazu iguazu is offline
 
Posts: 331
Default

Thank you !
__________________
"Frankly, I don't think you could have driven a needle up my sphincter using a sledgehammer."

- Col. Barry Horne, F-117 pilot, on first mission over Baghdad


Minds without purpose will walk in dark places
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 PM
8888 8888 is offline
 
Posts: 166
Default

Well its been a roller coaster of a ride with the CF

Went through all the hoops and got meritt listed last year.
I was super excited to get the congrats you been meritt listed letter in the mail.
From there I was counting down the days and months. Periodicaly I would inqure about my status and I kept getting the same answer over and over "just wait and you'll get the call"

A year goes by and...nothing.
April of this year I get a call to update my medical & interview. woooo hoooo
Once i arrived at the recruitment center I was ready to go. I filled out all the tedious background clearance papers and was reviewing them in the waiting area.

I was pulled out of my interview and was told I qualified for the trade However,I was deemed not competitive enough due to a low CFAT score. (yes I waited a year for absolutely nothing)

Something changed this year (2015) causing the fire trade score to be higher (almost to an officers score...words from the recruiters mouth)
I was choked !

I had to Redo the CFAT yet again.
On my second attempt I didn't score high enough... qualified but deemed not competitive. AGAIN!!
The second time I scored a bit lower than the first time.
Double Choke

I was off by a point or 2 the first time. In this cases a waiver can be asked if you have the experience and Quals for the trade. (at the time I didn't know I could've requested a waiver)
*face palm*


I'm on my third and final shot. It seems it would take an act of parliament to redo the CFAT,for a 3rd time.

A third time requires you to do a higher level of education.
If you score low on math and completed 416 or 514 math in high school, you would have to return to do math 436 or functions. This is pretty unusual because If you always struggled in math why on earth would you take the hardest math out there. On the rewrite you would have to show proof that you have done the proper upgrade.


Right now the CFAT counts for 60% of your final grade. The other 40% goes to interview, medical, Education/experience and personality skills. Before it was the opposite and the CFAT weighed way less. Thus, how I qualified and got merit listed the first time.

Education and Experience holds no weight. A Doctor with 10 years experience will not qualify for med tech if he/she doesn't score high enough.
Its unfortunate that the CF does itself a disservice by doing that.

I'm not looking for an sympathy from this post. Im merely posting this as an eye opener for applicants.

I would urge those taking the cfat to really brush up on their grade 10 and 11 math (algebra, decimals, fractions,percentages and word problems). The practice test is really easy compared to the test itself ...dont be fooled!

The English portion uses complex words that are not used, or even heard on a daily basis.
Cognitive you should play around with rubix cubes or legos or online quizes.

Im not good in math and used a couple of books (like cfat ready). It didn't really help me much in the math but helped me with the english words and the spacial.

Heres a break down of the test

The CFAT is a multiple choice test that assesses your abilities in three distinct areas:
• Verbal Skills (15 questions, maximum time allowed for completion is 5 minutes)
• Spatial Ability (15 questions, maximum time allowed for completion is 10 minutes)
• Problem Solving (30 questions, maximum time allowed for completion is 30 minutes)

With each multiple choice question, you will have four answers to choose from. Only one answer is correct.


If you are merit listed you are not out of the woods yet !
Its only until you get the call that you should breathe somewhat easy!

If you fail the CFAT the first time you have 3 months to re write it. So brush up while its still fresh in your head. After a year you don't remember what was on it.
Also, Don't settle for a trade thinking you can remuster after! your CFAT score will follow you ! So stick to your guns and redo it!

Im not sure If I will be able to re write a 3rd time, but hopefully I get my last shot at the can before calling it.
Hopefully my next post will be one where I finally get in !!!!

Cheers

Last edited by 8888 : 05-21-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Antoine4554 Antoine4554 is offline
 
Posts: 1
Default CFATTraining.ca

Thanks for the info. I'm almost ready to write. I used CFATTraining.ca as they advertised having study guides and tons of practice exams. I registered a few days ago so far there are a lot of info to go through, but i think it will all be worth it. Good luck to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8888 View Post
Well its been a roller coaster of a ride with the CF

Went through all the hoops and got meritt listed last year.
I was super excited to get the congrats you been meritt listed letter in the mail.
From there I was counting down the days and months. Periodicaly I would inqure about my status and I kept getting the same answer over and over "just wait and you'll get the call"

A year goes by and...nothing.
April of this year I get a call to update my medical & interview. woooo hoooo
Once i arrived at the recruitment center I was ready to go. I filled out all the tedious background clearance papers and was reviewing them in the waiting area.

I was pulled out of my interview and was told I qualified for the trade However,I was deemed not competitive enough due to a low CFAT score. (yes I waited a year for absolutely nothing)

Something changed this year (2015) causing the fire trade score to be higher (almost to an officers score...words from the recruiters mouth)
I was choked !

I had to Redo the CFAT yet again.
On my second attempt I didn't score high enough... qualified but deemed not competitive. AGAIN!!
The second time I scored a bit lower than the first time.
Double Choke

I was off by a point or 2 the first time. In this cases a waiver can be asked if you have the experience and Quals for the trade. (at the time I didn't know I could've requested a waiver)
*face palm*


I'm on my third and final shot. It seems it would take an act of parliament to redo the CFAT,for a 3rd time.

A third time requires you to do a higher level of education.
If you score low on math and completed 416 or 514 math in high school, you would have to return to do math 436 or functions. This is pretty unusual because If you always struggled in math why on earth would you take the hardest math out there. On the rewrite you would have to show proof that you have done the proper upgrade.


Right now the CFAT counts for 60% of your final grade. The other 40% goes to interview, medical, Education/experience and personality skills. Before it was the opposite and the CFAT weighed way less. Thus, how I qualified and got merit listed the first time.

Education and Experience holds no weight. A Doctor with 10 years experience will not qualify for med tech if he/she doesn't score high enough.
Its unfortunate that the CF does itself a disservice by doing that.

I'm not looking for an sympathy from this post. Im merely posting this as an eye opener for applicants.

I would urge those taking the cfat to really brush up on their grade 10 and 11 math (algebra, decimals, fractions,percentages and word problems). The practice test is really easy compared to the test itself ...dont be fooled!

The English portion uses complex words that are not used, or even heard on a daily basis.
Cognitive you should play around with rubix cubes or legos or online quizes.

Im not good in math and used a couple of books (like cfat ready). It didn't really help me much in the math but helped me with the english words and the spacial.

Heres a break down of the test

The CFAT is a multiple choice test that assesses your abilities in three distinct areas:
Verbal Skills (15 questions, maximum time allowed for completion is 5 minutes)
Spatial Ability (15 questions, maximum time allowed for completion is 10 minutes)
Problem Solving (30 questions, maximum time allowed for completion is 30 minutes)

With each multiple choice question, you will have four answers to choose from. Only one answer is correct.


If you are merit listed you are not out of the woods yet !
Its only until you get the call that you should breathe somewhat easy!

If you fail the CFAT the first time you have 3 months to re write it. So brush up while its still fresh in your head. After a year you don't remember what was on it.
Also, Don't settle for a trade thinking you can remuster after! your CFAT score will follow you ! So stick to your guns and redo it!

Im not sure If I will be able to re write a 3rd time, but hopefully I get my last shot at the can before calling it.
Hopefully my next post will be one where I finally get in !!!!

Cheers
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.