Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 PM

Default Rookie

Anyone have any advice for a rookie. I just got on a fire department and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks to help me through the probationary period. I am so excited to start next month but i am also nervous.

Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 PM

Default congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe123 View Post
Anyone have any advice for a rookie. I just got on a fire department and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks to help me through the probationary period. I am so excited to start next month but i am also nervous.

Thanks!!
As a current rookie, I can give you the advise that was passed onto me.

Never ever, be late! Find out what time they do shift change and be there 30 min before. Be prepared to do everything! Never be the first person to.sit down for.dinner, be the last. Ask what you can help with/ do. Always answer the phone, my crew makes a game of it ( sit close to the phone) leave your cell.phone in your locker; don't be on it at all, always be cautious when your crew is offering you food ( it could be someone else's), stay out of the TV room for at least a year; they will invite you, but don't bite.

Participate in crew meals, this is a great bonding time. Know the truck, your job, how to make coffee and have money on you. If you don't know, ask. If you have previous experience, don't share it with them, always learn from your crew. Don't tell them you have done it like this or its better to do it like that.

Keep busy with cleaning, regular chores, apparatus familiarization , training, studying etc. Keep quiet and observe your crew. They're not your friends right away, you have to earn their respect so don't be buddy buddy or joking like crazy, be polite and respectful. Always address your capt and chiefs by rank, not by name.

Bedtime is bedtime, you don't have to be.the absolute last person to bed, there are night hawk's who will.stay up really late, however, if there is a.good conversation happening at the table, don't get up and leave to go to bed, take part in it.

Be prepared and able to take a joke, get wet etc. If your crew isn't joking with you eventually, that is not a good thing.

If there is any other questions, let me know, I'll try my.best to answer them.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:20 AM

Awesome thanks a lot this will help. I am sure I will have a lot more questions
Old 09-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Anyone else have a little more advice to ad? I would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Old 09-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Baxter

Talk to the last rookie who was hired before you, and find out everything that they did. Make sure you don't do any less.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:49 AM

Know that if they mess with you, they like you. There is nothing worse than being ignored