Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Cool BC Fire Schools

Hey folks, I have come to the great realization that I want to become a firefighter and am currently looking at my options for fire schools. The two options I am looking at in British Columbia are the JIBC and the College of the Rockies in Cranbook. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinons on which is the best bang for the buck?
Cheers
Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Never Heard of the college of the Rockies, but when recruits come through our competitions the JI grads seem to stand out as polished and confident.

Having said that there are a number of good programs out of Alberta that may be cheaper.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM

I'm not sure if this thread is long dead or not but I too am looking for more information about the college of the Rockies Fire program. I'm new to the Forums and am also looking to complete my Fire cert.'s at either the JIBC or at the College of the Rockies. I have noticed that the College of the Rockies program is 5 months long; the JIBC program is 3 month long. What is the main difference or advantage of the 5 months program, if any? If anyone who has attended the C. of the R. program reads this post I am hoping you could answer this question. I have submitted applications to both programs for the next intake and will hopefully be accepted for the next Fall term. I'm hoping any feedback will lean me toward one of the two schools.

I know this question has been asked before but no responses have really given too much insight. Hoping anyone who has had experience in these programs can let me know how each program ranked in your opinion? Or if one is better than another. Looking for feedback about the overall course, instructors, equipment used, pros and cons of the program?

Hoping to hear a few more responses than in previous posts
Thanks everyone.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM

I know this thread is long dead I'm sure, but if you still haven't gone to firefighter school yet, then the differences between College of the Rockies and the JI is that the JI is an IFSAC accredited school, meaning when you finish the courses, you get your IFSAC seals from that, which are international. College of the Rockies is a Pro-Board school, and I'm not sure where that is acceptable, but IFSAC is definately preferrable. if not those ones, then there's a school in Vermillion, Alberta, which is IFSAC accredited. Also, if you're looking for cheaper options, you can always go to the Kilgore College in Texas, which is a highly recommended fire academy (IFSAC accredited)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
b3harris

Send a message via Skype™ to b3harris
Default Jibc

Go to the JI. If your fit enough to get in, pass the entrance and the examination (body) you know that you will pass the rest of the course. Sort of. The school is pretty tough. Dress deportment attention to detail, marching. I hated it, then loved it. Go to the JI it doesn't get you the job, but it sure as heck gives you the tools to be a good life long student. good luck.

billy
Old 01-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Default Hands on vs cost.

If you have the money and the time the JI sounds great. I have friends that have gone that route. I went the texas route through training division. I could not afford to take the time off and then pay to go to school. I did the book thing on my time and then did the 14 days or so straight of boot camp. I was in a volunteer department at the time as well so tool time wasn't really a problem.

just another option for you.

got on with a major department in 2012.