Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 AM

Default interview questions how would you answer

I know this isnít the exact right format for this thread but still thought this could be pretty fun. I recently had an Interview for a Fire Dept and these are some of the questions I was asked. Letís see what people some up with. (Keep in mind this is a panel interview so quick thinking was very much involved)

1.If the captain tells you to go into a fire and you thought it was unsafe what would you do?

2.Class setting- the training officer stated something in class that was wrong and you have read it other was that was right, what would you do

3. A senior FF is not pulling his weight on the fireground or station how would you go about it

4. Have you ever made a mistake on the job?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny1234 View Post
I know this isnít the exact right format for this thread but still thought this could be pretty fun. I recently had an Interview for a Fire Dept and these are some of the questions I was asked. Letís see what people some up with. (Keep in mind this is a panel interview so quick thinking was very much involved)

1.If the captain tells you to go into a fire and you thought it was unsafe what would you do?

2.Class setting- the training officer stated something in class that was wrong and you have read it other was that was right, what would you do

3. A senior FF is not pulling his weight on the fireground or station how would you go about it

4. Have you ever made a mistake on the job?
1. I would give my reasons to the captain, as to why I thought it was unsafe, however I realize that my captain has far more experience than I do, and could see something or know something I don't. Maybe they know of a viable life to be saved, or some such other thing. I would follow my captains orders, seeing as the nature of the job is dangerous, however I have accepted these dangers as just that, a part of the job.

2. I would AFTER class, as not to make a fool of the training officer, and undermine his/her authority that I read the information differently. Perhaps I was mistaken with understanding, or perhaps they made a slight mistake (they are human, we all do it). This gives the officer the time to set the record straight with either the class, correcting themselves, or correcting me with my mistake. Either way, the important thing here is to do it in private at first.

3. Pick up the slack. A senior firefighter is just that... senior. Around the hall it isn't their responsibility to do remedial tasks, its that of the junior man/woman. On the foreground, as long as their actions aren't directly putting someones life in danger for carelessness, but rather asking me to get a saw, or telling me to pull a line, or raise a ladder etc. I would do it. If it is however putting lives in danger, point out my feelings, out of ear shot of anyone else, and ask if theres anything I could do to help.

4. Everyone makes mistakes, from the 30 days on, to the 30 years on. What makes the difference is being able to quickly and effectively own up to your mistake, evaluate the situation and make a decision and problem solving effort based on what went wrong.