Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 AM
Did somebody say HazMat?

Default No duff, no duff, no duff!

Does anyone know the origin of the phrase "No duff, no duff, no duff"? This is a line used during scenarios to inform all that an actual emergency exists. Different words are used but I've heard "no duff" a lot. The reason for tracking the origin is that we have some people at work who think this is the funniest thing ever - they're cops...
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 AM

"As far as I know, it's an old RAF term. I always heard or read it in air force-related conversations, books, etcetera.
"Gen" is information. It can either be "good gen", or "duff gen". I have never, until now, seen anybody say "good duff gen".
"Duff" gen is not to be trusted, and "Good duff" gen is a contradiction.
Do we still have the term NODUF for use in message traffic to indicate: "this message is real rather than 'exercise' traffic?
The origin of that term is, indeed, duff gen from the air force in the really big war."
This quote was from a military forum I copied from the web. Not the most precise explanation but it may clarify things somewhat....or it may completely confuse you.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Toxic

I first encountered the "noduf" while working for the air force. We use it here because we are next to an air base, and have lots of DND members and DND civilians.

I googled the below information. YMMV
Quote:
The proword 'NODUF' was taken from the shortened version of 'No Direction Finding', meaning that it was a real message and shouldn't be used to DF the exercise location by the 'enemy'.

Once the idea that if something was NODUF or 'Not Duff' it was real took hold, it would have been a short step to assuming that the opposite of good information was 'Duff' information.
Quote:
As far as I know, it's an old RAF term. I always heard or read it in air force-related conversations, books, etcetera.

"Gen" is information. It can either be "good gen", or "duff gen".

"Duff" gen is not to be trusted, and "Good duff" gen is a contradiction.

Do we still have the term NODUF for use in message traffic to indicate: "this message is real rather than 'exercise' traffic? The origin of that term is, indeed, duff gen from the air force in the really big war.
One more interesting item
Quote:
Morse R .-. means - received.

R in early phonetic was Roger (now Romeo)

Got taken across when we became able to talk down the wire and not just send bleeps.

Last edited by hmckay91 : 10-25-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:43 AM

Something else that you might find interesting regarding duff is that "Duff" is also a term used to describe rotting vegetation on a forest floor. Duff can go quite deep and is composed of rotting trees, leaves, moss, etc.., and forms a 'false' floor so to speak. For you wildlanders out there, you know that duff fires can be a real pain to deal with. Relating this to scenarios, a 'duff' situation would be a 'false' or an imitation scenario, whereas a 'no duff' situation would mean, 'no b.s., this is the real deal!'

My bit of instructional education for the day...
"RING RING" - oh, there goes the bell, it's recess time children....

-MC
Old 10-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Did somebody say HazMat?

Actually searching the net revealed only 2 things for me - Duff beer and Duff on the forest floor.

Thanks for the input guys. When I drop one f on duff I get basically what has been posted.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:53 PM
culinary genius

Send a message via MSN to FireChef

I thought it was something Homer Simpson would say
Old 03-26-2016, 03:14 AM

Thanks for the input guys. When I drop one f on duff I get basically what has been posted.