Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26
Default Injury Simulation (Moulage)

Another firefighter and I were tasked with setting up a scenario last week (for those that have been on the forums a while, you should know it wasn't all that hard to come up with a good scenario....)as our regular training officer had his plate full working with the FF Cadet Program.

Anyway, as a result of the positive feed back from our scenario, we have decided to plan another evenings worth of scenarios for some time in April. After poking around in the training room we found a really kick ass (I can ass, right?) injury simulation kit. The kit itself seems complete (the size of a suitcase), and has all sorts of great stuff in it.

I've done some basic simulated injuries in my previous stint as training officer, things like embedded glass, and make up to simulate bruising and bleeding, but nothing as advanced as what is included in this kit.

I honestly can't believe that it has just sat gathering dust in the training room, and I plan to use it in our next creation. I am initially thinking along the lines of a 2 or 3 vehicle MVA with 4-6 PTs ranging from walking wounded to Priority 1 for rapid extrication and transport.

What I wanted to know was if anyone has ever used a large kit for simulating injuries and what worked well an what didn't; as well as any tips or tricks anyone might have to enhance the overall scenario.

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper
Old 06-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Scenario #1

WARNING: EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE SIMULATED INJURIES, THEY DO LOOK PRETTY REAL.

Well, I put my limited knowledge of makeup and artistry together and managed to come up with some excellent looking injuries to add to the "realism" factor of fire practice last week.

Scenario #1 was a two vehicle, t-bone style, MVA, with one PT ejected. Pictures of the ejected PT have been attached. Once again, they ARE FAKE and NOT REAL. Though, the look on some of the faces of some of they guys when they stepped off the truck was worth all the effort!

Does anyone else do things like this for practice, or am I the only one too much time on my hands and crazy enough give it a try?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888055_3775.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2979  Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888061_4663.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2980  Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888059_4384.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2981  

- Trooper
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Scenario #2

About part way through Scenario #1 (above) we started Scenario #2, across the street.

The "call" was for a fall from the roof of a building, with injuries. Ambulance was reported as being delayed for 20 minutes.

The PT had an open fracture of the lower leg (keeping my terminology light) and a cut on his head, as well as being semi responsive and semi combative.

This scenario we did the full deal and actually opened and used the bandages, etc, etc. IMHO, "simulating" putting a bandage on only goes so far. Sometimes you just have to experience ripping the packages open and doing the job for real.

Once again, all these injuries are FAKE and NOT REAL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	n601936652_888063_4972.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2982  Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888065_5273.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2983  Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888075_6733.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2985  Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888081_7855.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2986  Click image for larger version

Name:	n601936652_888079_7564.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2987  

- Trooper
Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 PM

The weekend past our dept did its annual spring mock exercise. We held a TIC refresher in the station. We also held 2 mock MVIs at the local junk yard. One of our newer member is a paramedic with years of experience doing very realisic moulage. He just received a new moulage kit. His unique talents really added a new level of realism. The shock and awe effect was immediate. If you have the opportinuty to have this service provided to you, take full advantage it.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Member Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter26 View Post
.......Once again, all these injuries are FAKE and NOT REAL.
Ok, you must have enticed him with some beer to pull this one off....no pun intended.

(Good stuff!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wow.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	2993  
Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM

The funny thing is, years ago I knew a guy that had his leg amputated below the knee and he was more than willing to participate in a mock chainsaw accident. That was probably one of the most bloodiest scenarios I've ever put together!

- Trooper
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Realistic Puke

Nothing tests the guts of a FF when doing a mock accident then having fake puke. This stuff looks real and smells like the real thing. Try this in one of your evolutions.

2cups quaker oak meal
1/4cup corn
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup sour milk
1/2 cup kraft parmaganna cheese
1/4 cup of vinegar

this stuff is easy to make and looks and smells like the real thing, get back to me and tell me how it worked.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 PM

Back in the 90s I called the local high school and asked if they'd like to lend us some drama students that we could make up for a training day. They sent us 10! That happens when you don't specify......

So, with a bit of guidance from an ex-military SAR-Tech we came up with all kinds of stuff! Closed head injuries, sucking chest wounds, amputated fingers......I have no pictures unfortunately, but mortician's wax works really well for the wounds. It just starts to get really soft overtime.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Now a VFF/FLSE

Goodness, this is realistic. And after I posted how I don't have an issue with blood on the Recruit forum...If anyone wants me, I'll be a mile down the road diverting traffic from the scene, ha ha.

Actually, this was very interesting and ever since I met a guy who told me that at one MVA (with 11 people and 5 fatalities) he cut the door off a truck and caught the driver's arm I've known FF's are up for some pretty messy stuff.

The Iodine solution we use on the cows after milking looks a lot like blood if you get enough on you (sometimes it spills, runs all over your hands and makes you look like you cut off a finger), it's a little too dark though, more like dried blood.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Nothing tests the guts of a FF when doing a mock accident then having fake puke. This stuff looks real and smells like the real thing. Try this in one of your evolutions.

2cups quaker oak meal
1/4cup corn
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup sour milk
1/2 cup kraft parmaganna cheese
1/4 cup of vinegar

this stuff is easy to make and looks and smells like the real thing, get back to me and tell me how it worked.
I can't believe it doesn't have carrots in it! I thought all puke had carrots. No matter how long ago you eat them the stomach seems to keep a store of them back for the next time you hurl!