Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Canadian Military and DND Firefighting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Default When will CF be hiring firefighters again

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has any knowledge as to when the Canadian Forces will be hiring firefighters again? (non skilled) I have completed my Pre - Service Firefighter program, gotten my NFPA 1001 firefighter 1 & 2 tickets. This past august I went through the application process, including aptitude testing and interview just to be told at the end they were only hiring previous members of the Canadian Forces!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Probably, loads of guys are quitting, and I'd estimate that about 70% of the QL3's will leave after their first contract. Good luck with trying to lure back previous members.

Keep your eyes open if you really want a bite of that shit-sandwich, just understand that it is not a fire department as most people would understand the definition.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby92 View Post
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has any knowledge as to when the Canadian Forces will be hiring firefighters again? (non skilled) I have completed my Pre - Service Firefighter program, gotten my NFPA 1001 firefighter 1 & 2 tickets. This past august I went through the application process, including aptitude testing and interview just to be told at the end they were only hiring previous members of the Canadian Forces!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Funny you ask this, I just recently went to the Forces recruitment office in Edmonton, and was looking into joining the Forces doing Firefighting, and the recruiter told me, in the 3 years he's been doing the recruitment, he's never seen them hire anyone from outside of the forces. He informed me that since it's such a small wing of the forces, that they usually pull from within to fill the voids in the ranks. But he did say the DND is always looking for civilian firefighters if you wanted to go that route.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_LFD30 View Post
Funny you ask this, I just recently went to the Forces recruitment office in Edmonton, and was looking into joining the Forces doing Firefighting, and the recruiter told me, in the 3 years he's been doing the recruitment, he's never seen them hire anyone from outside of the forces. He informed me that since it's such a small wing of the forces, that they usually pull from within to fill the voids in the ranks. But he did say the DND is always looking for civilian firefighters if you wanted to go that route.
I have 3 friends....whom over the past 8 yrs joined the CF and were in the FF trade right after drill school...
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_LFD30 View Post
DND is not always looking for Firefighters. I wish that was not though. There are many DND halls that are understaffed but with budget cuts the positions are not being filled.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 AM

Do they take job experience over actual certs and schooling for the firefighter trade?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to ndvfd_ff33

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit0629 View Post
Do they take job experience over actual certs and schooling for the firefighter trade?
You don't need any certs or schooling to get into the trade. I'm sure it would help but it's not required, unless things have changed.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndvfd_ff33 View Post
You don't need any certs or schooling to get into the trade. I'm sure it would help but it's not required, unless things have changed.
A recruiting officer told me that even if you have certs with no experience they will take experience with no certs over you.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit0629 View Post
A recruiting officer told me that even if you have certs with no experience they will take experience with no certs over you.
Does this mean they now accept applications from civilians and not just members of the Forces from other trades?

Is volunteer firefighting considered experience or only other full time firefighting? I don't have any certs.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Does this mean they now accept applications from civilians and not just members of the Forces from other trades?

Is volunteer firefighting considered experience or only other full time firefighting? I don't have any certs.

Thanks.
I asked him and he told me they won't be hiring for a while. Also told full time FF is considered experience.