Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Building Construction.

What are some ways in dealing with or identifying SIP panel construction in residential or commercial applications?
Safety concerns, or if anyone had heard of any SOP's for this kind of situation.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWGS1058 View Post
What are some ways in dealing with or identifying SIP panel construction in residential or commercial applications?
Safety concerns, or if anyone had heard of any SOP's for this kind of situation.
It's probably not the answer you were looking for but bring your crew by new construction in your area. Whether it be a new subdivision or a new building usually if the workers are aware that it's not an inspection they are more than happy to answer any questions. It's a start. I have personally never been to a fire in this type of structure but assume driving by one might think it is conventional construction if all they see from the road is an OSB faced house.

"Are we moving too far ahead, or are you falling too far behind"
Roree403
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Thanks Roree,

I bring it up because I work with a building company that uses them from time to time on some of our custom homes. When assembling we use burners to install bucks for framing that holds each panel together. Even as the heat gets close to the material it's almost already starting to disappear. Once finished it looks the same as any other home you would see. My concern is, if responding to a fire that involves SIP panel construction how long would a roof last, especially if ventilating. I didn't know if maybe once a house is built like this, it would be a good idea for departments within the response area to be notified of it.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 AM

I agree the houses should be known to the FD . The town or city should have a system of letting the FD know when the building permits are given out . I also have wondered about safety of the people living in these types of homes also ICF block from the toxic smoke that would come of when burning and would they get out .
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWGS1058 View Post
Thanks Roree,

I bring it up because I work with a building company that uses them from time to time on some of our custom homes. When assembling we use burners to install bucks for framing that holds each panel together. Even as the heat gets close to the material it's almost already starting to disappear. Once finished it looks the same as any other home you would see. My concern is, if responding to a fire that involves SIP panel construction how long would a roof last, especially if ventilating. I didn't know if maybe once a house is built like this, it would be a good idea for departments within the response area to be notified of it.
I'm skeptical as well about sip construction but there are a few videos on YouTube with sip under fire conditions and its seems to hold up much better then traditional construction.

Probably just as dangerous as light weight as there is only 1 ridge beam holding up the roof panels and once it goes the whole roof will fail. Although it may last slightly longer then light weight if you use larger dimensional lumber as it will take longer to burn... Just my thoughts.

Anyone else?

Here's a link:

http://youtu.be/_nxZFo-ICPo
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Nice video, as far as I know our SIP's are regular osb. Never heard of Magboard but it seems like it has a good fire rating. We use the brand Therma Pan.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM

What is the fire rating of a SIP?

With 1/2" gypsum board, SIPs have a 15-minute fire rating which meet residential fire code regulations. Thermapan SIPs also meet the National Building Code of Canada. As with any fire resistance issue, however, requirements vary by region, occupancy and building classification. You should contact your local building or fire departments to determine the necessary requirements and ensure compliance with local fire codes.