Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Canadian Military and DND Firefighting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Hey guys, I don't think i've posted much on this forum but i might have in the past. I just want to let you know I was offered (which i accepted) a fire fighting job the other day. I start in March. I applied through direct entry. If you want to take my suggestion I applied back in the summer while i was doing forest fire fighting. It's a long process, the best day to apply was yesterday.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Harbinger,
It's always hard to tell over the interwebz but it seems like there is some hostility towards the trade. Would you recommend against going in if you were offered the chance to move forward?

Also can anyone who has done the 15 week bmq give me a realistic assessment of what it was like?
Hi, I got a lot of helpful information on army.ca/forum
Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewn View Post
Hey guys, I don't think i've posted much on this forum but i might have in the past. I just want to let you know I was offered (which i accepted) a fire fighting job the other day. I start in March. I applied through direct entry. If you want to take my suggestion I applied back in the summer while i was doing forest fire fighting. It's a long process, the best day to apply was yesterday.
Hey bud,

Congrats on getting in! Would you happen to know your timeline
From application to merit list to offer of employment?

For jayG
Check out the website drewn posted.there's a lot of good info on there.
If you do post in those threads be sure that your question(s) haven't been already posted
Because they will throw you ass first through the car wash.
If you want check YouTube for a series called basic up.
You get an idea of what goes on during BMQ (13 weeks)
I keep on hearing the week #s keep changing !? I heard 12, 13 and now 14?
Try to ask your recruiter as many questions (they probably won't know much about the fire trade)

Cheers
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Harbinger,
It's always hard to tell over the interwebz but it seems like there is some hostility towards the trade. Would you recommend against going in if you were offered the chance to move forward?

Also can anyone who has done the 15 week bmq give me a realistic assessment of what it was like?
If the opportunity presents itself, take it!

It is the best trade in the military, easily. The hostility towards the trade is usually directed from one of three types of people: (1) those that are jealous, (2) those that complain for the sake of complaining and (3) those that are unhappy with their lives.

It's not perfect, nothing is and there is better money to be made but for the most part it's a good & honorable job.

Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 PM

Would I recommend it?

That would entirely depend on the individual and their motivation for joining the trade.

If you are looking for a paycheck, don't care about responding to calls, and don't mind having very little say in where you live, than go for it. Just understand what you are signing on for, and more importantly how LONG you are signing on for. (5 years minimum) don't expect to join and keep looking for other firefighting jobs - they will not release you during your first contract.

Understand that when you join, you are not a municipal firefighter. There is a very real chance that you may have a 25 YEAR career without going to an actual structural fire - even once.

You will be working for supervisors who may have never responded to a structural fire outside of the training ground - ever.

Now that is a real testament to our dedication to fire prevention, but not really the motivation that people get into firefighting for.

Understand that you are military first and a firefighter second. Meaning tasks, deployments, moving and postings. You will not feel like a firefighter the way you imagine how firefighting should be. Prepare to accept that.

There are a few good things about the trade. The guys that you work with are one of them. Generally excellent guys. Supervisors on the other hand - many good, some bad. Many more bad than good in the future as all the employable ones are releasing for other employment. Second language abilities are now more important than job-competence CF-wide now, so if you were born outside of "la belle province" forget about advancing beyond sgt.

I'm a remuster from the army in the late 90's. When I first got in the fire trade I would have enthusiastically recommended it to anyone.
For the last 10 years our "leadership" in Ottawa has systematically attempted to destroy this trade. Personnel issues from a decade of short-sighted decisions are fast-approaching a crisis point beyond which the CFFM, career manager and CWO trade advisors will no longer be able to hide their mismanagement and incompetence from someone with enough authority to reprimand them all.
Fat chance of that happening though.

Bottom line:
1)if you are joining because firefighting is your dream job - than focus on getting on a municipal fire department
2) if you are joining because you want to be in the CF, than firefighter is a good choice.
3) if you are joining because you don't know what to do with your life, uni is not an option and you are currently in a dead end job - than it is a good choice.

No longer the best trade in the military. The ones who tell you otherwise will fall into three categories:
1. Guys who were, or are in the trade, and are probably one of the sycophantic, incompetent supervisors that are driving the unbelievable release rate that we are seeing (The trade may have one of the worst retention percentages in the forces)
2. Guys that got out years ago, have fond memories of getting drunk in Lahr or Baden, and have no idea what the trade has evolved into.
3. Guys who are unemployable in any other fire service - and know it.

I had some good times, saw a lot of the world, met a lot of great people (who all got out as well) spent too much away from family, and got posted back and forth across the country like it was some kind of sick game to that career manager POS.

Would I do it over again? No, life is too short and their are far too many rewarding careers to choose from to waste time with this. I did my 20 years, took my pension, and now have a fantastic job in an entirely different fire service, working for supervisors who are worthy of respect, and who treat me with respect in turn.

If you join and don't like it, you get to correct that mistake 5 years later. If you can afford that kind of time.......
Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8888 View Post
Out of curiosity , why were people saying the posting was closed to the public
And the open spots reserved for remusters?

Would you know Why people refuse the QL5 course?
I guess the reason being is the municiple depts pay more?
I'm sure there are other reasons?

I heard the trade is under review. The hull techs are the ones dealing with the fire fighting duties on the ships. There was also a rumor about receiving spec pay.

Cheers
50-50 split between remusters and direct entry historically. I've never in 15 years seen the trade closed for direct entries.

They refuse the QL5 course because:
1. they not willing to sign on for an additional 9 YEARS to go on a course on which they will receive zero transferable certifications.
2. They generally find the job unfulfilling.
3. Posted to the navy after QL5. The navy is even less fulfilling.

Hull techs are not taking ship positions - that rumour has been around for ten years. FFs are still posted to ships, 50% are sailing-50% are malingering (that means lying to get out of sailing).

There will never be any spec pay for ffs. Period. We were going to get it "anyday now" back in 1997.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM

Thank you harbinger for posting your thoughts and experience about the CF FF trade.
It's really seems like a lot more negative than positive . I guess it's all in what you make it out to be!?

I would like to know if the Borden academy still gives out ifsac certs for the courses?
I imagine you are trained in everything from fire prevention to all the technical rescue courses?
What courses are taught in the QL3,4 & 5?
If you already have the majority of the certs do you still have to retake the course(s)?

Also, do they still have the firefighter reserve option?
I'm guessing that's only for those who live near Borden?

Thanks for reading

Cheers
Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Im an Ex military firefighter. Joined as direct entry and I realesed after my 5yr contract for all the reasons already listed plus many many more. I will say I loved the time that I served but in the end the pros didnot out weigh the cons.
As I understand now, the new contract is for 9 years with a restricted release clause. I personally would not sign a 9 yr contract and I would not recomend that anyone sign on for that period of time especially if there is a restricted release. If you want to serve in the military great but pick something else. If you want to be a just a firefighter than stick to civy side.
Im not going to go into great detail on here as There are already numerous posts on the trade in other threads. Research them. Most of them are accurate to the T and paint a good and clear picture of the trade. Feel free to PM me and I will answer any questions I can.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 AM

Passed my aptitude test for the fire fighter trade and awaiting medical and Interview. How long does this phase generally take? then what comes after that? Feel free to respond or PM me.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe43 View Post
Passed my aptitude test for the fire fighter trade and awaiting medical and Interview. How long does this phase generally take? then what comes after that? Feel free to respond or PM me.

Thanks
Depends on the recruiting center. When I passed my aptitude test they just gave me my medical interview as soon as I was done and right after the medical they set me up for the interview.