Old 04-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Default CF Firefighter

Hey, I am new to the site. I graduated from ESA Professional Fire Fighter course in November. I am thinking about joining the Canadian Forces as a Firefighter. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the job? I have been researching quite a bit, but am still having trouble making up my mind, basically the main factor is feeling like I'm giving up my freedom to be able to be shipped wherever the job takes me or being in a contract for a certain amount of time.
Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPaq View Post
Hey, I am new to the site. I graduated from ESA Professional Fire Fighter course in November. I am thinking about joining the Canadian Forces as a Firefighter. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the job? I have been researching quite a bit, but am still having trouble making up my mind, basically the main factor is feeling like I'm giving up my freedom to be able to be shipped wherever the job takes me or being in a contract for a certain amount of time.

Thanks
There's a lot of good info on the boards here and some cool members that do help you out.
From what I gather you are military before you are a fire fighter.
There's a lot of pros and cons to the trade.
I haven't found enough pros tho.
A lot of guys leave for a municipal dept (better pay, better conditions, no relocations every couple of years , no ships)

There's people who have made a career out if the CF.
What is frowned upon is going into the trade for the certs then leaving after your contact.

Also check out the army.ca forums (total troll domination ).

It's not an easy decision but I Hope it works out for you.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPaq View Post

Thanks
I`ve heard that its a great job, as long as you don`t have a family.

If you`re serious about the job and don`t write aptitude tests on a regular basis, it may be beneficial to pick up a CFAT prep book. They recommend you select at least 3 trades of interest, so do a bit of research prior to the application to see if there is anything else that interests you. I refused to write down anything other than firefighter, so needless to say, I didn`t get the job.