Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 PM

Default How would you answer situational judgement questions

I had my first aptitude test for a fire dept and am quite worried about how I answered these questions. I chose the answers that I felt were right but I am not sure if this is what they are looking for. For example a question about pulling out the bbq to grill burgers while on shift and someone pulls out a case of beer and offers you one. There was an option to report it to the captain, to refuse and sit silently uncomfortable with the drinking, to accept the beer as it is only one beer, or to say no and you don't condone of drinking at the station. I chose to say no as you don't condone drinking at the station. This is honestly how I feel as I don't feel that it would give a good impression to anyone in the public if they were to walk by and see drinking. However I feel that the majority would accept and therefore make that the right answer.

How do you answer them or how is the right answer determined?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:50 PM

from what i have learned taking those tests you are on the right track. the book i have says always answer honestly
Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 PM

Yah just be honest. Ps I can't find shit for test books on fireservicebooksstoo spamming us with your ads
Old 03-20-2016, 12:50 PM

Yeah that would never be the right answer... Accepting it. Do you honestly think a chief wants to hear you say you'd accept is because everyone else would..? It's a beer... It's alcohol and against the rules to drink on shift. Come on man, is this even a question? Obviously you report that to your captain... One beer is one too many.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26

The obvious answer, to me, should be not only refuse, but remind everyone who is on duty that they're on duty. I'm not the kind of person who cries to the captain or station officer if someone called me names, but if there was any drinking going on and I couldn't stop it before it happened, the officer would be my next step. Really no different than if I seen an unsafe condition on the apparatus floor, like a wet floor, tripping hazard or damaged equipment. I'd try to correct it myself and if I could not, report it up the chain of command to be dealt with.

The reason questions like this are stupid is because this scenario shouldn't even be possible in the first place. In this day and age it should be widely accepted that drinking, no matter where it happens, and going on calls is absolutely unacceptable.

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper
Old 03-31-2016, 09:37 PM

Default Ask your mom

Everyone is on the same track and right track. It's pretty simple really. You have to remember that your actions and those of your fellow members reflect on your department, the fire service and the municipality that you work for. If your actions ended up on the front page of the paper to be read by the tax payer could your Chief or membership stand in front of it?
If you're still unsure... "Ask your mom". She'll be able to tell you what's right.