Old 04-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Default Confused on certifications.

Hi all.

As the title states, I am very confused as to what certifications that I actually need to succeed in getting a job.

I know that I NEED NFPA 1001 FF1&2. But what are all the other certifications, NFPA specifically. They just increase your training base right?

What are all these organizations. OAFC, OFAI. How do these fit into the bigger picture?
Old 11-27-2015, 01:36 PM

From my understanding, it depends on the city you apply to. Each department may require different certificates to land the job. However, I believe that NFPA 1001 FF I&II are at least the minimum requirements you need to get hired on somewhere. Other departments may require certain medical tickets, class 3 drivers license, etc. There is a lot you can find out on city websites regarding the requirements.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnation View Post
Hi all.

As the title states, I am very confused as to what certifications that I actually need to succeed in getting a job.

I know that I NEED NFPA 1001 FF1&2. But what are all the other certifications, NFPA specifically. They just increase your training base right?

What are all these organizations. OAFC, OFAI. How do these fit into the bigger picture?
OAFC is the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs which has developed the current Provincial testing standards with the OFM (Ontario Fire Marshal) for fire service hiring in Ontario.
http://www.oafc.on.ca

OAFI is Ontario Fire Administration Inc. that delivers the testing.
http://www.ofai.ca