Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Firefighting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie91 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Should just dispatch an ambulance

Actually that's what leading to fire apparatus being decommissioned and stations being closed in Toronto and other municipalities across Ontario.

I mean the following as an information post. Not slagging your comment, but I do disagree with your thinking.
The acting chief of Toronto a few years ago believed a study and information presented by Toronto EMS. (He was also in the competition for the position as the new Fire Chief of Toronto. Perhaps he saw himself saving money as a way to help his career?)
Since that time that information has been shown to have been hand picked from over all numbers.
The acting chief agreed to Toronto Fire Services being removed from certain types of calls (mostly medical). That has led to the cuts Toronto firefighters faced.

I am sure I do not need to point out this equals less full-time positions in these towns and cities.

There are countless studies which show that firefighter intervention does save lives and a recent study completed here in Ontario shows that the most economical investment is to upgrade the medical training of the firefighters already in place. They are in the station, with medical equipment and a vehicle.

I am not suggesting firefighters are medics so everyone hold their blasts on that topic but firefighters can be trained to a higher level of training and increase the save percentage of the patients that receive early intervention.

Just as a note - cuts in Toronto removed 92 positions. 84 of those were operational firefighters and 4 were district chiefs who start as firefighters.
Some of those positions have been filled by fire prevention staff. But, what position are the majority of members on this site dreaming of filling?

Thought so.

Just sending an ambulance is not providing the best care and not the best use of the taxpayers dollars. I'm being paid if I run that call or not. Might as well run it.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
Actually that's what leading to fire apparatus being decommissioned and stations being closed in Toronto and other municipalities across Ontario.

I mean the following as an information post. Not slagging your comment, but I do disagree with your thinking.
The acting chief of Toronto a few years ago believed a study and information presented by Toronto EMS. (He was also in the competition for the position as the new Fire Chief of Toronto. Perhaps he saw himself saving money as a way to help his career?)
Since that time that information has been shown to have been hand picked from over all numbers.
The acting chief agreed to Toronto Fire Services being removed from certain types of calls (mostly medical). That has led to the cuts Toronto firefighters faced.

I am sure I do not need to point out this equals less full-time positions in these towns and cities.

There are countless studies which show that firefighter intervention does save lives and a recent study completed here in Ontario shows that the most economical investment is to upgrade the medical training of the firefighters already in place. They are in the station, with medical equipment and a vehicle.

I am not suggesting firefighters are medics so everyone hold their blasts on that topic but firefighters can be trained to a higher level of training and increase the save percentage of the patients that receive early intervention.

Just as a note - cuts in Toronto removed 92 positions. 84 of those were operational firefighters and 4 were district chiefs who start as firefighters.
Some of those positions have been filled by fire prevention staff. But, what position are the majority of members on this site dreaming of filling?

Thought so.

Just sending an ambulance is not providing the best care and not the best use of the taxpayers dollars. I'm being paid if I run that call or not. Might as well run it.
ah yes, you're absolutely right. I wasn't referring to removing us from those types of calls, but from that caller, as to get them to the hospital, instead of having us arrive, check them out, tell Toronto fire no ambulance is needed, clear the scene, only to be called back to the same person within the hour.

I agree 100% with using us, seeing as we are there already. I also agree with our intervention saving lives, 10000%. I know it hasn't exactly been a long time, however over the past little while that I've been on, I can easily say that out of all the VSA's I've attended, we've been on scene a few MINUTES prior to EMS, and have already given shocks, and obtained a stable, and open airway.

All I meant to say, BigSmoke, was with regards to that patient, maybe having the ambulance on scene transport them, for a higher level of medical attention, to see if something else needed to be taken care of.

e: with the possibility that our truck could potentially be put to better use at a more vital call
Old 12-19-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
ah yes, you're absolutely right. I wasn't referring to removing us from those types of calls, but from that caller, as to get them to the hospital, instead of having us arrive, check them out, tell Toronto fire no ambulance is needed, clear the scene, only to be called back to the same person within the hour.

I agree 100% with using us, seeing as we are there already. I also agree with our intervention saving lives, 10000%. I know it hasn't exactly been a long time, however over the past little while that I've been on, I can easily say that out of all the VSA's I've attended, we've been on scene a few MINUTES prior to EMS, and have already given shocks, and obtained a stable, and open airway.

All I meant to say, BigSmoke, was with regards to that patient, maybe having the ambulance on scene transport them, for a higher level of medical attention, to see if something else needed to be taken care of.

e: with the possibility that our truck could potentially be put to better use at a more vital call
I see your point. I misunderstood the intent of your original comment. Sounds like you've had some real experience at medicals.
When I fist started, fire was dispatched at the same time as ambulance by 911. We used to run far more VSA's - sometimes multiple VSA's a day. Our truck was nicknamed Medic 7!
Then the dispatch protocols changed and since that time we've seen a dramatic drop. Then fire was dropped from a number of medical calls because stats showed fire intervention with the patient was not that much sooner than EMS. (Wonder why)
I had an opportunity to speak with the Doc who was part of the decision to remove fire from some medical calls. He said that the information that had been presented when the decision was made to remove fire could have been more in depth. At least TFS has been added to a few of the lost calls.

Good discussion.
Stay safe!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I see your point. I misunderstood the intent of your original comment. Sounds like you've had some real experience at medicals.
When I fist started, fire was dispatched at the same time as ambulance by 911. We used to run far more VSA's - sometimes multiple VSA's a day. Our truck was nicknamed Medic 7!
Then the dispatch protocols changed and since that time we've seen a dramatic drop. Then fire was dropped from a number of medical calls because stats showed fire intervention with the patient was not that much sooner than EMS. (Wonder why)
I had an opportunity to speak with the Doc who was part of the decision to remove fire from some medical calls. He said that the information that had been presented when the decision was made to remove fire could have been more in depth. At least TFS has been added to a few of the lost calls.

Good discussion.
Stay safe!
There have been a few weird times that we haven't been dispatched for things youd think were surely critical for. In our area, on more than one occasion, we will be out for a drive, just doing area familiarization and come upon a MVA, where the airbags are all deployed, and quite a lot of wreck damage. It just seems odd that, given its usually in the middle of the intersection, we wouldn't be toned out for that call. None the less, we are ourselves on scene and help out any way possible
Old 12-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
There have been a few weird times that we haven't been dispatched for things youd think were surely critical for. In our area, on more than one occasion, we will be out for a drive, just doing area familiarization and come upon a MVA, where the airbags are all deployed, and quite a lot of wreck damage. It just seems odd that, given its usually in the middle of the intersection, we wouldn't be toned out for that call. None the less, we are ourselves on scene and help out any way possible
Sent you a pm
Old 12-22-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Sent you a pm
Got it, replied.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Thought so.

I hear what your saying. I don't mind running medical assist calls, that is about 70% of my job. It just sucks that you get toned out time and time again to the same person. Its like getting toned out to a fire alarm at the same building time and time again when knowing they need to fix there alarm. From my eyes it would just suck getting hired as a firefighter and 95% of calls are medical. I know its part of our job but not 100% of our job.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalhead View Post
I hear what your saying. I don't mind running medical assist calls, that is about 70% of my job. It just sucks that you get toned out time and time again to the same person. Its like getting toned out to a fire alarm at the same building time and time again when knowing they need to fix there alarm. From my eyes it would just suck getting hired as a firefighter and 95% of calls are medical. I know its part of our job but not 100% of our job.
No argument. I've worked in many different fire stations and there is always the patient with the flu who felt it was worth calling 911.
In their minds I am sure it was.

But like the multiple false alarm calls the owner of the building can be charged for responses and we have seen a dramatic drop in the number of alarms to certain buildings.

The less than urgent medical calls are a by-product of the health care system. And that's a long deep discussion about preventative medicine and shortened wait times and more family physicians and .............
Old 01-02-2016, 03:33 AM

Quote:
No argument. I've worked in many different fire stations and there is always the patient with the flu who felt it was worth calling 911.
In their minds I am sure it was.

But like the multiple false alarm calls the owner of the building can be charged for responses and we have seen a dramatic drop in the number of alarms to certain buildings.

The less than urgent medical calls are a by-product of the health care system. And that's a long deep discussion about preventative medicine and shortened wait times and more family physicians and .............
I think we all have that one "Freddy" in our first run. Heck, I ran it last night for the 1000th time already.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:57 AM

Default Surrey hall 2

Unofficial stats:

Engine 2: 3100
Rescue 2: 4600

Don't have the stats for their volunteer trucks but have to be close to 8000 calls a year