Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Firefighting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Default What path to take to become a firefighter

I have been looking at these forums for a while now, and I have some idea of what to do and what I need to become a firefighter but I'm finding it difficult to "make a plan" and piece it all together.

I am 18 years old and recently finished highschool. Because I didn't know what I wanted to do in life I didn't apply anywhere for uni or college. This year I plan on getting a part time job and taking some online courses. I also want to apply to tthe military as a supply tech or vehicle tech. My question is, what do I do afterwards? I know I can take pre service and/or NFPA but where do I find the time to do this. When I get out of the military I am going to need a source of income while taking classes and then applying to become a firefighter (which could take forever)

Would my my military career and all of the necessary requirements be enough? I would take pre service before I apply to the military but I don't know how long I woukd be in the military. What if things change while I'm in? I guess I am just asking for some more guidance and anything else I could do to have a better chance of being accepted.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonFaize View Post
I have been looking at these forums for a while now, and I have some idea of what to do and what I need to become a firefighter but I'm finding it difficult to "make a plan" and piece it all together.

I am 18 years old and recently finished highschool. Because I didn't know what I wanted to do in life I didn't apply anywhere for uni or college. This year I plan on getting a part time job and taking some online courses. I also want to apply to tthe military as a supply tech or vehicle tech. My question is, what do I do afterwards? I know I can take pre service and/or NFPA but where do I find the time to do this. When I get out of the military I am going to need a source of income while taking classes and then applying to become a firefighter (which could take forever)

Would my my military career and all of the necessary requirements be enough? I would take pre service before I apply to the military but I don't know how long I woukd be in the military. What if things change while I'm in? I guess I am just asking for some more guidance and anything else I could do to have a better chance of being accepted.
If you want to become a FF with a municipal dept, after your time with the military why dont you become a FF in the military? You get all your training, experience and sbould be able to apply once you get out? You may like it and wont leave...
Old 07-11-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF95 View Post
If you want to become a FF with a municipal dept, after your time with the military why dont you become a FF in the military? You get all your training, experience and sbould be able to apply once you get out? You may like it and wont leave...
Agreed, switch your MOS and do FF with the trade. I'm in a military firefighter, really I'm just using it as experience and applying to departments whenever they open up. It's not a bad trade... It's just the COC is so... idiotic at times it makes your eye balls turn to the back of your skull five times over.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit0629 View Post
Agreed, switch your MOS and do FF with the trade. I'm in a military firefighter, really I'm just using it as experience and applying to departments whenever they open up. It's not a bad trade... It's just the COC is so... idiotic at times it makes your eye balls turn to the back of your skull five times over.
Coming from the other branch of emergency services in the military...it appears the apple doesnít fall far from the tree in terms of the COC haha!

Any military experience will help you stand out from the crowd but like whit0629 stated...join up as a CF firefighter, get the amazing training and use it as a stepping stone. You may even enjoy it and stay.

I myself am looking to make a switch to firefighting to follow in my fatherís footsteps and just joined this forum to get the ball rolling.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:51 AM

Firefighters usually work for local government and their primary job is to save individuals' life and residential and commercial properties from fire hazards. You can join technical school, college, or firefighting academy to take proper and professional training. One of my Friends is pursuing this kind of training and he bought fire fighting equipments for his training from Garamloha.com. You can also go through it.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonFaize View Post

Right now you have the qualifications (grade 12 high school) for many recruitment. Big cities such as Windsor or Mississauga often open up to everyone. They put you through their own basic training so why do you need to go to college? North York is running an open recruitment right now.

They do want first aid and your DZ truck, but those are easy to get.

My advice is don't worry about fire training right now. Go military and enjoy it, or even get a job in the trades for a few years. Life experience, common sense and being good with your hands seem to be the in requirements.

Good luck
Old 08-22-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangereric View Post
Right now you have the qualifications (grade 12 high school) for many recruitment. Big cities such as Windsor or Mississauga often open up to everyone. They put you through their own basic training so why do you need to go to college? North York is running an open recruitment right now.

They do want first aid and your DZ truck, but those are easy to get.

My advice is don't worry about fire training right now. Go military and enjoy it, or even get a job in the trades for a few years. Life experience, common sense and being good with your hands seem to be the in requirements.

Good luck
Hey do you have the link for the North York recruitment info?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM
PF14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit0629 View Post
I bet you they have some winners as young guys that think they know everything to though.
Cough Cough YOU Cough Cough
Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 AM

I did 20 years in the service and 13 of that as a FF. Its is a great trade with excellent training and post career opportunities. Any trade you pick in the service will have its rewards and as an 18 year old you have time to grow and build your resume and life skills that will make you a competitive recruit for the Fire Service in years to come....