Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26
Default Fill'r up...... gas station/fire scenario

It's a nice sunny weekend afternoon. Things have been uncommonly slow around around Station 12. You've got Engine 12 and Rescue 12 in quaters. It seems like forever since you had anything more than an automatic fire alarm or smoke sighting.

You're the ranking officer of at the station, a Captain, and you are just finishing up on some paperwork. The guys are doing some routine maintenance around the place when you get a chill down your spine. A few seconds later.....

CLANG CLAN CLONG DING BEEEEEEP BEEEEEP

"Engine 12, Rescue 12, Engine 11, Ladder 11, from Central Dispatch, report of a vehicle fire at the pumps of the Chevron Service Station on 4789 Lanark Road. Caller says the flames are spreading fast to the pumps and that there is possibly someone trapped."

Jumping into your gear and getting on the truck you quickly referance your maps and find out that the Cheveron Station is at a busy intersection of Lanark and Yates. As you and Engine 12 pull out, Engine 11 and Ladder 11 from the next station over are doing the same and reporting in. Their ETA is roughly 5 minutes.

Pulling up on scene you see a number of vehicles parked at the pumps with the front of one of them on fire. The gas station attendant runs up to your Engine and tells you that he has gotten everyone away from the vehicles and pumps, but there is a small child in a car seat in the back of the blue partially involved vehicle that he wasn't able to get. The mother is in hestarics and bystanders are keeping her from running into the flames. You also notice a number of men with smoked out faces and burns on their arms nearby, apparently they tried to put the fire out before you got on scene. The flames are just starting to spread under the front of the vehicle from leaking gas from the pumps. The child in the back is still a viable save at this point as the flames are only inside the engine compartment. However, you'll have to act fast to get to him as there is a strong oder of gas.... and it is getting stronger for some reason.

Your Resources:
Engine 12: 1050gpm, 400gal. 1 capt (you) 3 firefighters
Rescue 12: no FF equipment. 1 LT, 3 firefighters (two of which are paramedics)
Engine 11: 1050gpm 450gal. 1 capt, 3 firefighters
Ladder 11: 1500gpm, 200gal, 1 LT, 2 firefighters
Ambulance: Dispatch says that one BLS car is enroute as well. ETA 4 minutes behind you.
Hydrants: I'll be nice this time around. There is a hydrant roughly 1/2 block from the gas station on Lanark Road and another 1 block away on Yates Street.
You can call for additional alarms/resources if you need to. They are roughly 7-8 minutes away.

Questions:
1) List your three priorities
2) Explain your overall plan, including supression and rescue
3) What things could you ask the Gas Station Attendant?
4) List five likely hazards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_fire.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	823  

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper
Old 11-24-2005, 01:23 PM
DND Firefighter

Send a message via MSN to Kearley

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter26
Questions:
2) Explain your overall plan, including supression and rescue

Ok. I'm going to take a quick stab at this. It's gonna be very basic, and I wanna hear all the criticism. Cuz this is gonna be based on VERY limited experience.

1) Priorities: i) Preserve life; child's rescue
ii) Protect exposures; don't let the fire burn beyond the gas station
iii) extinguish any accessible property.

2) Would it be at all possible to haul the vehicle containing the baby out of the pump fire, and then treat it as a seperate vehicle fire. So make a single quick approach to fix on a chain, and use an apparatus to tow it out? And then you would be left with a fire only involving property loss.

Well... I think that's the limit of my expertise. I mainly just had that idea and would like to know of its feasability.

"If you can remain calm when all around you is in chaos; chances are you don't fully understand the situation."
Old 11-24-2005, 02:19 PM

I'll have a go at it...

Establish command, give a sit rep, request Class B foam support (no specific resources mentioned), request Hazmat unit (or Public Works with diking or sand for spill containment, request police (crowd/traffic control), and more EMS

Life Safety (obviously the Child in the blue car)
Fire Control
Property Conservation

2) Explain your overall plan, including suppression and rescue
(since it was not mentioned I am going to assume no first out foam capability)

Engine 12 assigned to initial attack and rescue. Rapid attack of fire to push away from passenger compartment to effect rescue. (Understanding that this may spread the fire)

Rescue 12 Assign the paramedics to triage and EMS duties. The Lt is assigned to confirm (that the power is off to the pumps and the emergency switch is tripped. Then fireground/EMS support.

Engine 11 to establish water supply and lay into Engine 12 to support fireground operations.

Ladder 11 to begin salvage by removing the vehicles from around the pumps and the danger area.

Foam to assist with extinguishment
Hazmat and/or PW to contain the spill/fire with diking.

Is the gas pump master off (emergency shut down) power, or whatever its termed? How much fuel in the underground tanks? Do they provide propane and where is the tank?

A) Accelerated fire spread from fuel still flowing from the pump.
B) Application of water to spread the fire.
C) other vehicles adding to fire load.
D) Bystanders reaction to the trapped child.
E) Water supply problems due to length of run (and traffic)
F) Exposures?
G) Traffic patterns and crowd control
H) Time of day, current weather

Removing the blue car is good idea, depending on whether the car is the source or a victim of the fire. If it's the source your no further ahead and have wasted time, if it's the victim you could expect less fire and an easier rescue. Though, it's probably better to get in a rapid attack.

After the fire perhaps CISD (regardless of the outcome) for the bystanders and patients.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Retired Member

Ok...I'll take a stab at this one as well. To blab for a bit before I answer the questions. Firts of all, it's a gas station at a busy intersection...so I'd notify our dispatch to get police sent out and have the roads shut down. If the sh#t hits the fan, at least that way there won't be a ton of vehicles in the area. Secondly...there is gas leaking, a smell of gas, it's getting stronger etc...the station attendant has been very helpful so far, but one thing I don't see listed there is the pumps being shut off...so I'd send him along with a FF from the rescue inside to make sure that the pumps are off...hopefully that takes care of the gas leaking.

I'd then have the two FF/paramedics from the rescue begin a triage and treatment of the black smoky faced individuals, while I request EMS to attend with as many ALS ambulances as my guys deem necessary. While all of this is going on, I'd have my two guys off the back advance a line to the front of the car, approach from the corners, and begin water application to hopfully get things knocked down.

I'd have the officer and the remaining firefighter from the rescue approach the car from the back corner once the flames are knocked back a bit, and things are a little bit cooler, and have them break out the side windows, go in and remove the child in the car seat.

I would radio the second in engine and have them catch the hydrant that is a half a block away, lay their supply line and tie into my truck. Hopefully by the time they have done that my guys would have things under control. The Lt. and the FF that took the child out would give him over to the care of the two FF/medics, as well as the BLS car that would hopefully be on scene now. I'd have them return, get a pry bar off the rescue and assist the first two FF's from my truck to get the hood of the car open, and fully extinguish the blaze in the engine compartment.

Also, whenever the Ladder arrives, I'd see if it was safe and practical for them to get a tow chain somewhere on the rear of the car and we'd pull it away from the pumps. Oh and BTW...all of my guys would have on full PPE and SCBA. So to answer the specifics...

1.)a.) get the gas pumps shut off
b.) start an attack on the fire
c.) rescue the child when the FF's are protected by the hose line of the first two FF's off my pump.

2.) well...thats all pretty much above lol
3.)Pumps off? how much fuel on site? what kinds of other fuel? other hazardous materials that may be on site? is a supervisor of the company coming(for fire report purposes)?
4.) a.) the leaking gas and pumps that are on
b.) the presence of other fuels
c.) the traffic through the area
d.) the bystanders
e.) the roof canopy of the gas station that is being affected by the fire, possibility of hidden extension above

Anyways...just some thoughts...

AB
Old 11-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Michael13

I'm just going to answer part of your question. My first three priorties would be fast attack on that fire right away to get that fire knocked down. From your picture, I would assume a fire that large would be through the windshield already, but I'm guessing thats not the case. Fast attack # 1, and the removal of the child 2nd. One or two on the hose, and 2 getting that kid out. In Full PPE that rescue could be attempted, without endangerment to my crew I think. And we all think people are smart enough, that the fuel attendant, would have that fuel off already. A station that large would have at least 3 or 4 attendants working on the shift. I know this is scenario is possible, but in all likely hood, I would hope that doesnt happen. I could look up in the ON Fire Code, but theres a minimum requirement for extingushers for gas stations, and other rules. All employees are supposed to be trained to use an extingusher, and the minimun rating I think is 10 or 20 lb and there would be 3 or 4 on the premises. Empty those into that car right off the bat and the fire would at least be controlled until FD arrives. If the owner of the car was helpful she would have 'popped' the hood release which would make getting to the fire easier. By your explanation, the bystanders made attempts to rescue the child, but it doesnt seem they tried to put out the fire, or at least control it. Obviously there were some brave souls there, they tried to get the kid, but why not use extingushers? I tyoed this off quick, so I didnt consider any of the other hazards. Next time.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Kearley: Good idea with pulling the car away. If it isn't the main source of fire that might work to remove it from the scenario, especially if the fire can't be controled. Good job thinking outside the box.

hmckay91, ABFF37: Great answers. Good to see you caught onto the emergency pump shut off being left out of my information. I am sure the increasing oder of gas helped as well! Glad to see everyone using a charged hose line to shield the FFs making the rescue.

Michael13: Good point, chances are someone somewhere would have grabbed an extinguisher. Just goes to show that even slip up when I think of these scenarios.

I figured that this one would get the least amount of responses next to the HAZMAT scenario I added this morning. The interface fire from yesterday, well....... one of my favourites!

- Trooper
Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Anyone new to firehall.com want to add anything?

- Trooper
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 AM
TRUST NO ONE

It's almost a 5 year old post...........
Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 AM

A walk down memory lane....

... it was a simpler time back then. Cats and Dogs were friends. Gas was only 70 cents a litre, wannabe was still a wannabe and a young scuba_jude was changing his Mr. Clean Avatar every few minutes....

Good times were had by all... well, except DH (I don't think he likes me!)

- Trooper
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Default This actually happened in Winnipeg, MB

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2012/05/20/...garys-beltline

It was a similar scenario on a gas station. Thought I'll share it with you.