Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
FTCB

So, give us a run down of the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis vs the combo dehydration/heatstroke.-FF26

In dehydration or heatstroke you dont so much see flushing as you will blanching or more of a pallor. They will be warm/hot and dry to the touch.

Heat exhaustion will be manifested by flush skin, with diaphoresis and cool and clammy to the touch.To get to the point of unresponsiveness in a dehydration/heat stroke they would have to be really well gone.IE they would have passed through the exhaustion phase and prolly drawn attention to themselves.

In a moderate to severe anaphylactic reaction you will see dyspnea with stridorous respiration(high pitched wheeze) due to the trachea swelling and narrowing, with this you will see the cyanosis.These people can appear flushed at onset and diaphoretic too.They may have a localized or general rash/hives.They will also exhibit swelling at contact or sting sites and typically have facial edema(swelling).What eventually kills is laryngospasm due to swelling of the airway,as side note this is what also eventually kills in both smoke inhalation and freshwater or dry drowning.

Thats what I remember anyways. Im sure one of the current or practicing medics will clarify anything I have missed or erred on.

Dentedhead
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Spaghetti again?????

How about my usual jargen....ummmm 70 sumpin ...SOB...medical history is over there and his names Pedirrrtin smagtell.......can we clear??......LOL........................BC........ ..........
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcoast
How about my usual jargen....ummmm 70 sumpin ...SOB...medical history is over there and his names Pedirrrtin smagtell.......can we clear??......LOL........................BC........ ..........
Pretty much my contribution now.We have some real knobs on the meatbus in our area so I dont even talk to them....unless I can point out something they are doing wrong I love thatLOL.

Dentedhead
Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Retired Member

Quote:
Ask over and over if the O2 is helping and wait for BCAS......................BC...............
Don't forget covering them with a blanket if it's cold...that's a critical step for a first responder...high flow O2, blanket, reassurance, wait for EMS to arrive LMAO...

AB
Old 07-02-2006, 09:41 PM
culinary genius

Send a message via MSN to FireChef

Or alternatively, if you come in behind BCAS (or other EHS), walk slowly behind them, hang around the front door and wait to see if you are needed or not......or say you will wait for the next elevator, then get up there and find out you are not needed............lol
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26

did a shift with SJA in Nanaimo at a motor cross rally..... had a rider go down hard and we packaged them. Nanaimo Fire showed up seconds after BCAS and did just that... sorta milled around for a while. When I was done handing over I went over and chatted them up

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper
Old 07-04-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
But downtown first Aid sucks.
When I took my OFAIII a few months ago, the insturctor was telling me about a contract their company was awarded..... to teach CPR and first aid to "ladies of the evening"... I think everyone should have some kind of first aid training (they used to offer it in highschool) but I guess time will tell if the "project" will work or not.

Anyone finding these interesting or should I stick to the regularly scheduled scenarios?

- Trooper
Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Spaghetti again?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter26
When I took my OFAIII a few months ago, the insturctor was telling me about a contract their company was awarded..... to teach CPR and first aid to "ladies of the evening"... I think everyone should have some kind of first aid training (they used to offer it in highschool) but I guess time will tell if the "project" will work or not.

Anyone finding these interesting or should I stick to the regularly scheduled scenarios?
Our guys teach CPR classes to residents of the Downtown eastside, women's shelters etc..... I've been to numerous calls where they are at least attempting some form of first aid before our arrival....so I think it's a worthwhile thing for sure.......the more people trained the better. Sometimes there is more concern showed by people for their fellow man on the DES than you will see on the "trendy" west side of town................BC.......

Last edited by bestcoast : 07-04-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Sometimes there is more concern showed by people for their fellow man on the DEA than you will see on the "trendy" west side of town
Isn't that the truth!

I've seen some "trendy" people driving their BMWs or whatever that are to busy calling the radio station to tell them there is an accident or their office to tell them they will be late, than to stop and call 911, or even help for that matter!

- Trooper
Old 07-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Spaghetti again?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCFFFV
LOL............And then make sure we fill out the fancy new forms!
Funny story about those fancy forms. When the first ones came out awhile back some BCAS crews were asking for them and others weren't. We had a call for this "regular" and the skipper filled out the form and handed it to the BCAS crew as we were clearing. A few months later same address, same guy, same problem. First thing the medic says when he walks in the room is "where's your first responder form", so the captain reached over and grabbed the form we handed him a few months back that was still sitting on the TV and said "Here ya go, pretty much the same this time around, can we clear".......BC..........

Last edited by bestcoast : 07-09-2006 at 08:33 PM.