Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Scenarios
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006, 03:33 AM

Default Interview Questions...

I know this isnít the exact right format for this thread but still thought this could be pretty fun. I recently had an Interview for a Fire Dept and these are some of the questions I was asked. Letís see what people some up with. (Keep in mind this is a panel interview so quick thinking was very much involved)

1. You and your crew arrive on Scene to a MVA, Two patients a mother that has serious but non life threatening injuries and her Infant Child. The mother is Hysertraical and asking about her baby, Baby is dead. What would you do and why?

2. You are at the Hall and start noticing that a Capt. is always assigning you extra work, to the point were he is singling you out. What would you do and why?

3. You are doing Overhaul at a Warehouse fire, when you notice a bystander he approaches you and says he has some possible information on how the fire might have been started. When you start to ask him questions he starts to get frantic and says he doesnít want to talk anymore and begins to leave the scene. You are alone at the time and have no radio on your person. What would you do and why?

4. You arrive on Scene to a fully involved Chemical Facility. You and your crew pull hose lines and prepare for a possible interior attack. At the front door you notice a Chemical Hazard sign. As you see the sign your senior officer says "get ready, where going in". What would you do and why?

5. On route back to the hall from a call your crew decides to stop in at the local Safeway to get some grub. The senior officer and another FF go in to the store you and the Driver are left to wait in the Truck. While waiting the driver decides to pull around closer to the front of the store and says that there is no need for you guide him as he backs the truck up. As he does he hits a parked car. You get out and see thatís thereís no damage to the truck and only a small scratch to the car. There are no witnesses around. Driver says lets just not worry about it itís only a scratch. What would you do and why?

There were a couple of more but these were the really good ones. Iím sure the guys on the panel probably got a pretty wide range of answers given the situation all the applicants were in. Letís see what you guys can come up with.

Cheers

Farris
Old 12-12-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris
I know this isn’t the exact right format for this thread but still thought this could be pretty fun. I recently had an Interview for a Fire Dept and these are some of the questions I was asked. Let’s see what people some up with. (Keep in mind this is a panel interview so quick thinking was very much involved)

1. You and your crew arrive on Scene to a MVA, Two patients a mother that has serious but non life threatening injuries and her Infant Child. The mother is Hysertraical and asking about her baby, Baby is dead. What would you do and why?

2. You are at the Hall and start noticing that a Capt. is always assigning you extra work, to the point were he is singling you out. What would you do and why?[url]

3. You are doing Overhaul at a Warehouse fire, when you notice a bystander he approaches you and says he has some possible information on how the fire might have been started. When you start to ask him questions he starts to get frantic and says he doesn’t want to talk anymore and begins to leave the scene. You are alone at the time and have no radio on your person. What would you do and why?

4. You arrive on Scene to a fully involved Chemical Facility. You and your crew pull hose lines and prepare for a possible interior attack. At the front door you notice a Chemical Hazard sign. As you see the sign your senior officer says "get ready, where going in". What would you do and why?

5. On route back to the hall from a call your crew decides to stop in at the local Safeway to get some grub. The senior officer and another FF go in to the store you and the Driver are left to wait in the Truck. While waiting the driver decides to pull around closer to the front of the store and says that there is no need for you guide him as he backs the truck up. As he does he hits a parked car. You get out and see that’s there’s no damage to the truck and only a small scratch to the car. There are no witnesses around. Driver says lets just not worry about it it’s only a scratch. What would you do and why?

There were a couple of more but these were the really good ones. I’m sure the guys on the panel probably got a pretty wide range of answers given the situation all the applicants were in. Let’s see what you guys can come up with.

Cheers

Farris

this is just a very shorten version i guess of what i would say

1. have crew member move mother away from child and try to calm her down - other member(s) start cpr. It may be obvious the child is dead - but give it to the mother and start cpr until medics arrive and take over - its the least u could do for the mother

2. shut ur mouth and do the work - its ur job. If it persists that you get the short end jobs all the time - ask do if you get those jobs b/c u do them well or b/c u don't complain about them like others do

3. if your smart u would try and get his name right off the bat and some other info - remeber his makeup/description. Your a firefighter not a police officer - do your job but report your "skeptic" beleifs asap to your officer - and hopefully the info you gather from initial confrontation

4. point out the sign - your responsible for the safety of yourself and others - maybe the capt. never saw it or overlooked it while taking in the million other things during size up - we miss a few things everynow and then - if he did see it and says haul ass in the building - then it turns into the whole safety and disobeying ur order - basically - point it out then if its still a go get ur rear in there its an order

5. One thing i have learned hahah - there is always! witnesses - whether u see them or not. plus the whole integrity aspect of the fire service. hopefully though u insist on backing him up and get out no matter what he says - better safe than sorry - accident maybe avoided - if not you have to report it

Last edited by Cpuck : 12-12-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26

Quote:
From the question is sounds as if the mother isn't in direct contact with the child (IE, "asking about her baby") if thats the case, I would attempt to calm her down and keep her busy/distracted (while attenting to her injuries, which left un-treated could be an issue). I don't want her near my guys who are working on the child, they'll be having a hard enough time without the mother in the way. Hopefully EHS will show up and take over DPQ. If push came to shove, I would immobilize the mother (collar, which would be on anyway since it was an MVA, backboard and the whole meal deal).

Quote:
2. You are at the Hall and start noticing that a Capt. is always assigning you extra work, to the point were he is singling you out. What would you do and why?
Not only would I do whatever is assigned to me; I would do it to the best of my abilities. If things become blaintently obvious it would become apparent to the rest of the crew as well. If it turns out I don't deserve the extra work/$hitty jobs I am sure the others on my crew would back me up. If no one backs me up, than I probably deserve the extra duties for some reason and would work harder to get them done.

Quote:
3. You are doing Overhaul at a Warehouse fire, when you notice a bystander he approaches you and says he has some possible information on how the fire might have been started. When you start to ask him questions he starts to get frantic and says he doesn’t want to talk anymore and begins to leave the scene. You are alone at the time and have no radio on your person. What would you do and why?
I wouldn't ask him questions about how the fire started. It isn't my job. I would make him feel comfortable/ that his information would be of great value and suggest he needs to talk to either my captain or the ranking officer on scene. If he does turn and run, I wouldn't chase him down. Note his description and get to an officer PDQ. NOTES 1) why is a bystander anywhere near where I am doing overhaul at a warehouse fire? 2) why I am working alone at overhaul?

Quote:
Point out the sign to the senior officer giving the order to go in (as well as make the other firefighters aware of it that would be going with us). If nothing happens, then I would suggest we check what the Hazard sign says (IE, refer to the HazMat book). Still nothing? Perhaps he has information, as an officer, that I wouldn't as a firefighter and I would have to trust his judgement.

Quote:
5. On route back to the hall from a call your crew decides to stop in at the local Safeway to get some grub. The senior officer and another FF go in to the store you and the Driver are left to wait in the Truck. While waiting the driver decides to pull around closer to the front of the store and says that there is no need for you guide him as he backs the truck up. As he does he hits a parked car. You get out and see that’s there’s no damage to the truck and only a small scratch to the car. There are no witnesses around. Driver says lets just not worry about it it’s only a scratch. What would you do and why?
Safeway good. Home Depot Bad. "An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure." I'd be out of the truck to spot for him if he wants it or not. If the guy is senior enough to be a driver, he should no better and has been probably been around and seen other people back into things. If he still moved the vehicle without a spotter and hit another vehicle, it would have to be reported, reguardless. IE, "cause and affect" - if the driver is willing to chance moving the apparatus without a spotter, he is willing to accept the consuquences should $hit go wrong.

I don't think you'll find many major deviations to the questions.

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper

Last edited by firefighter26 : 12-12-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpuck
this is just a very shorten version i guess of what i would say

1. have crew member move mother away from child and try to calm her down - other member(s) start cpr. It may be obvious the child is dead - but give it to the mother and start cpr until medics arrive and take over - its the least u could do for the mother

2. shut ur mouth and do the work - its ur job. If it persists that you get the short end jobs all the time - ask do if you get those jobs b/c u do them well or b/c u don't complain about them like others do

3. if your smart u would try and get his name right off the bat and some other info - remeber his makeup/description. Your a firefighter not a police officer - do your job but report your "skeptic" beleifs asap to your officer - and hopefully the info you gather from initial confrontation

4. point out the sign - your responsible for the safety of yourself and others - maybe the capt. never saw it or overlooked it while taking in the million other things during size up - we miss a few things everynow and then - if he did see it and says haul ass in the building - then it turns into the whole safety and disobeying ur order - basically - point it out then if its still a go get ur rear in there its an order

5. One thing i have learned hahah - there is always! witnesses - whether u see them or not. plus the whole integrity aspect of the fire service. hopefully though u insist on backing him up and get out no matter what he says - better safe than sorry - accident maybe avoided - if not you have to report it
I agree with all the answers I think they are the on the right path.
The first one about the baby I would like to add to it.
4 things come into play in this answer that I believe are essential 1) Scene safety 2)other victims 3)triage 4)reporting.

I would make sure the scene is safe for the emergency crew and victims (wires down), if this is a highway cones and vehicle placement would be necessary. Avoid the candle moth scenario; go out side and around the vehicle (Inner, Outer Check) for other victims. Make sure the vehicle is stable-chock wheels make sure the vehicle is in park and e-brake is on. Access vehicle and determine who is in need of the most critical care, report findings to your officer- Remove baby from vehicle to a safe location and administer cpr (life saving measures) to the baby –the additional crew member/s would attend to the mother, stabilize head(cspine), c-collar and perform a survey to determine any life threatening injuries. Again report progress to the Officer. I would tell the mother that we are looking after her baby and providing the best possible care.

An interview that required the candidate to have nfpa 1001 or in Ontario, pre-service, I would expect the interview panel would require the answers to be more technical and based on the training they received. However, if this was not a prerequisite they would not expect an answer that is technical but one that uses common sense. In either case you should be thinking about scene safety, other victims, who is hurt the most, and relaying info back to officer-so he can notify other agencies, make decisions and give updates. Also trying to calm the mother, by assuring her that the crew is providing care to her child.

Last edited by FireInterviews : 12-19-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 AM

Here's a question... you respond to a CO alarm at an apartment. You knock on the door and the tenant is deaf.. what would you do?

Oh here's another.... MVA, occupants of vehicle (3) don't speak english...two injured, one walking around the scene... how would you handle this?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:16 PM

1. I assume that the mother is really going right off about her baby. You have to do what you have to do. Tell her whatever settles her down at the time (may not be the truth. May not sem like the right thign to do).
2. A Captain is singling me out? Well, I would probably talk to him, and express my concern. If that got no response, or worse, the situation became worse, I might have to talk to people higher up the chain about it.
3. I wouldn't ask him questions in the first place. I don't want to have to go to court over it. Say he told me some stuff though, I would assure him nothing will happen to him, and urge him to talk to law enforcement. If worse comes to worse, all I could do is give the police a description.
4. My safety comes first. I would tell the officer, and other members of the crew. If he still decided,a dn I wasn't sure, I wouldn't do it. I am goign home tonight. (not a reply for a job interview)
5.I would tell my officer when he came out. Backing intoa car, fire truck or not, isn't a super big deal. leaving the scene of an accident, fire truck or not, is a big deal.

As for the other two that came up, I don't know what would happen. For the deaf guy, you could quickly write it I guess. if not, use gestures to make it obvious. Put your mask over your face, then take it off and pretend to be sick. Use this gesture. point to the smoke detector, waving him to come out with you. As for guys with different languages, try to explain it to one. Maybe he could help. Police or even another member of the department could help.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica13 View Post
Here's a question... you respond to a CO alarm at an apartment. You knock on the door and the tenant is deaf.. what would you do?
Had this one in an interview (re: a deaf person), I believe I answered it as best as I could. Since I speak ASL (American sign language) I would react in the exact same manner as I would a normal CO call, and follow the SOG. It was also stated then that the person did not understand ASL , I said that I would write down all the information and explain to the tenant why we are there and what I would want the person to do. It cracked a smile on the DC's face when I said I knew ASL, he seemed really suprised. Which also goes to show that your resume is not always read prior to the interview so make sure you talk yourself up!!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
Old 08-16-2008, 12:54 PM

You arrive on Scene to a fully involved Chemical Facility. You and your crew pull hose lines and prepare for a possible interior attack. At the front door you notice a Chemical Hazard sign. As you see the sign your senior officer says "get ready, we're going in". What would you do and why?

Direct attention to the issue that deem to be unsafe (the sign). If the officer persists (yelling, etc.) simply say, "With all due respect sir/ma'am, I do not feel that this assignment is safe, therefore I have to respectfully decline this order, and request re-assignment".

My thinking though is what does the Chemical Hazard sign indicate? Is it simply a warning of product in the building? Or is it IDLH? If an officer wishes to pursue this issue further back at the station, a simple discussion with him/her may resolve it. If not, get the union rep involved.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Careful with this one...

"Direct attention to the issue that deem to be unsafe (the sign). If the officer persists (yelling, etc.) simply say, "With all due respect sir/ma'am, I do not feel that this assignment is safe, therefore I have to respectfully decline this order, and request re-assignment". "

Be careful with this one. Make sure you check your legal rights before doing this. In Ontario, the Occupational Health an Safety Act, Part V, 43. (1) and (2)(b) states:

"43. Refusal to Work, Non-application to certain workers
(1) This section does not apply to a worker described in subsection (2),

(a) when a circumstance described in clause (3) (a), (b) or (c) is inherent in the workerís work or is a normal condition of the workerís employment; or

(b) when the workerís refusal to work would directly endanger the life, health or safety of another person. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 43 (1).

(2) The worker referred to in subsection (1) is,
(b) a firefighter as defined in subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997;"

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...o01_e.htm#BK46

Obviously different jurisidctions have different laws, but that answer would probably get applicants disqualified in Ontario. Know the jurisdiction's OH&S laws.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Defence Scheme No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyOsmond View Post
You arrive on Scene to a fully involved Chemical Facility. You and your crew pull hose lines and prepare for a possible interior attack. At the front door you notice a Chemical Hazard sign. As you see the sign your senior officer says "get ready, we're going in". What would you do and why?

Direct attention to the issue that deem to be unsafe (the sign). If the officer persists (yelling, etc.) simply say, "With all due respect sir/ma'am, I do not feel that this assignment is safe, therefore I have to respectfully decline this order, and request re-assignment".

My thinking though is what does the Chemical Hazard sign indicate? Is it simply a warning of product in the building? Or is it IDLH? If an officer wishes to pursue this issue further back at the station, a simple discussion with him/her may resolve it. If not, get the union rep involved.
You would actually do all of those things?

RC