Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Default NFPA compliant certificates

I'm looking into completing A few courses and have been told the certificate at the end of the course is an NFPA compliant certificate. To get PROBOARD certified I would have to come back at a later date for another test. Now the question is, is this NFPA compliant certificate acceptable when submitting to fire departments or would they want the PROBOARD certificate?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky12 View Post
I'm looking into completing A few courses and have been told the certificate at the end of the course is an NFPA compliant certificate. To get PROBOARD certified I would have to come back at a later date for another test. Now the question is, is this NFPA compliant certificate acceptable when submitting to fire departments or would they want the PROBOARD certificate?
They will want proboard or IFSAC accreditation. Anyone can teach a course that is NFPA compliant but unless they've been accredited by one of those 2 agencies, then they usually don't hold much weight.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Default NFPA Compliant

FF95 is right. The Ontario Fire Marshal's Office Officially adopted NFPA Professional Qualification Standards in April 2014. Any cert/course you get should be IFSAC or ProBoard Accredited if you want it to hold any weight. All Municipalities in Ontario require Pre-Service Ontario Cert or NFPA 1001 Cert to IFSAC or ProBoard in order for your application to be accepted.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM

[quote=FF95;228075]They will want proboard or IFSAC accreditation. Anyone can teach a course that is NFPA compliant but unless they've been accredited by one of those 2 agencies, then they usually don't hold much weight.

I know this is an older post I'm replying to but are we talking about NFPA 1001 or NFPA 1006 Technical rescue stuff? In regards to NFPA 1001, couldn't agree more. States that normally in the job description.

In regards to tech rescue courses, I've spoken with many chiefs, deputy chiefs and my own chief, and they have all told me that IFSAC/Probaord certification for technical rescue courses are not required. An NFPA compliant technical rescue course, such as ice/water, rope, trench, hold the same weight (resume score) as one that has been accredited by the fire marshals office. Just so we are all clear, this is in reference to Ontario fire departments.

FF95, who told you this? Because when you say "they don't usually hold much weight" tells me that you aren't sure or you are offering an opinion.

Husky, I highly recommend you ask some of your local department chiefs. My question for you Husky to ask yourself (and to find out for yourself) is :
Do the departments in the area I want to be on apply more resume marks for IFSAC accredited courses vs. NFPA compliant courses? Please let us all know what they said and what province/state your applying in. Thx

I definitely understand that things may have changed since the original post but looking to hear from anyone out there with other information in regards to this.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Default NFPA Certifications

Hi Everyone, I thought I'd add my 2 cents to this interesting conversation in regards to IFSAC and ProBoard Certifications.

The AHJ (OFMEM) recently addressed the NFPA Grandfathering Process for Fire Services across Ontario and the NFPA Certifcation Process at the June 2016 OMFPOA Conference. I have also attended two NFPA Qualification / Pre-Employment Credential Recognition Seminars for Municipal HR Staff in regards to the acceptance of IFSAC, ProBoard and Non-Accredited Certifications and Courses. First off, its important to recognize that Accreditation / Certification is a voluntary process. The AHJ (in Ontario that is the OFMEM) offers IFSAC and ProBoard Certification for those wishing to have accreditation as part of the training process. Accreditation is important to Municipalities from a Pre-Employment , Training and Occupational Health & Safety Perspective to ensure that the persons they are hiring or promoting have the desired skills required to do the job. Example; In March 2014 Ontario Municipalities were directed to ONLY accept NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 Diplomas with an IFSAC or ProBoard Seal as a mandatory prerequisite qualification for the position of Operations Firefighter. This will ensure that the prospective employee completed a minimum baseline training that covers the entire NFPA 1001 ProQual Standard and will be ready for duty (or close to) with minimal post-employment training. Having said that, Municipalities are free to hire whomever they want, with or without any training what-so-ever. For larger self insured municipalities with a full time service, this would be very risky.

Here's where it gets interesting. Some Municipal Fire Chiefs / Senior HR / Chief Training Officer Staff made the decision to become an NFPA only department. Therefor only accepting IFSAC and ProBoard Accreditation for all other "Preferred Qualifications" i.e NFPA 1006, NFPA 1002, NFPA 1035, etc. This posed a problem in 2014 due to the fact that the OFMEM did not offer theses courses to outside students(aka Civilian Personel). Only full time municipal or volunteer firefighter persons who attended the Ontario Fire College could get a seal. Since then, some municipalities have decided to either keep the IFSAC & ProBoard requirements OR abandon the process all together as the accreditation is voluntary. (Keeping in mind that the NFPA 1001 Level 1 & 2 will always be required to have the IFSAC or ProBoard Seals.)

Now, as far as moving forward, it will depend on the municipality that you are applying to, whether or not they have decided to ONLY accept IFSAC and ProBoard Accredited as acceptable education or they do not care where the potential employees credentials came from. Having said that, I can assure you one thing, since Ontario adopted the NFPA Pro Qualifications in 2014, more fire services have started to request IFSAC Accredited Courses as acceptable pre-employment credentials. The matter of fact is that IFSAC / ProBoard Accredited Courses are always a better choice when deciding to take a course to improve your resume since the certificate is signed be the AHJ. There will never be a fire service that will NOT accept a AHJ IFSAC or PROBOARD Accredited Certification. One way to take a sneak peak into the future of Fire Service Training and Recruitment requirements is in the Municipal Fire Master Plans. I have read, and help developed several GTA Fire Service Master Plans. The Training of Operations, Prevention and Communication Staff will transitioned to NFPA ACCREDITED Training Programs...its only a matter of time.

I hope this helps with your resume building course decisions.

Thanks,
Emily
profirerecruitment.com

Last edited by FireHR : 06-27-2016 at 03:19 PM.