Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM

Default BCAS interview...now what? Physical?

I was wondering if someone that has recently went through the BCAS hiring process could let me know how long it took for BCAS to contact them after the initial interview.
I had an interview yesterday and I think it went pretty well. I had done a lot of prep, and used the star format. The interview was long, (hour and 15)!
I've been pretty lucky so far. Im only EMR, but they contacted me the day after I submitted my application, and I had an interview date within two weeks of that.
I'm just curious...is this the typical rate of the process, or does it bog down at a certain point? Seems like things have been done pretty efficiently so far, and Im really preoccupied with that interview! Chomping at the bit for some feedback!
I was thinking that I will eventually have to take the physical testing, so maybe focusing on "training" for that might get my mind off the interview. Anyone have an inside scoop on what the applicant is to perform in the assessment? Is it different depending on gender?

Push ups x ?
Sit ups x ?
Step test for how long?

Etc...

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:04 PM

So apparently I passed the interview and they are just checking references. I know the physical will be next. I heard somewhere that they will want 33 push ups. I'm gonna be about 30 short...
Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakehole View Post
So apparently I passed the interview and they are just checking references. I know the physical will be next. I heard somewhere that they will want 33 push ups. I'm gonna be about 30 short...
I don't know who told you 33 push-ups but 90% of the work force couldn't do 33 push ups. I've never been able to do 33 push-ups in my life, or not since I was 10.

Read this: https://paramedicblog.wordpress.com/...al-assessment/
Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Normal rate. They usually do interveiw about this time, it does slow abut now until they find where they will put you. And until you go throu their boot camp. The physical isn't difficult, it's done at a physio centre, nothing extreme. Push ups, flex ability, agility. And a bit of cardio. It's not difficult at all. Not sure where ur planning to work, usually they start u off in a smaller area. And if that station accepts EMR.
Good luck!

Working bcehs 6 yrs
Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 PM

Thanks for that info, it really put my mind at ease. This is a whole new element and I'm trying to figure out what's going to be expected of me at each stage. Probably doesn't help that I'm almost 40 and think I'm too old for this! hahaha!
I just have the physical and medical tests left for the recruitment process. I guess if I pass, I'll get a list of stations that are hiring, and then I'll have to pick one. I'm shooting for the same thing everyone else probably is - decent amount of opportunity to work, and a commute that is "do-able". Fraser Valley is my "base", so something within 4-5 hours would be nice.
What would be REALLY awesome is to have an inside scoop about a station (that would hire an EMR), who has a really great chief! Easy to get along with, or is a great teacher, etc...
If I had (at least) one call on a shift, and a good chief, I think that would be a pretty sweet gig!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 AM

So how'd you make out
Old 10-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Onair Do Na Mairbh

Is it possible to go casual with BCAS in a rural area if your an ACP? I'm currently working for an air ambulance service in northern Canada and my schedule is one month on and one month off. I've been thinking of moving to BC and wouldn't mind picking up a few shifts during my months off. Obviously I wouldn't be able to practice to my full scope in a BLS car.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspir View Post
Is it possible to go casual with BCAS in a rural area if your an ACP? I'm currently working for an air ambulance service in northern Canada and my schedule is one month on and one month off. I've been thinking of moving to BC and wouldn't mind picking up a few shifts during my months off. Obviously I wouldn't be able to practice to my full scope in a BLS car.
Yes, absolutely. You'd be working as a PCP however. PCP pay and PCP scope of practice.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:12 AM
Onair Do Na Mairbh

Do I need to downgrade my licence to PCP when I do my labour mobility application? Or is it fine if a do ACP.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspir View Post
Do I need to downgrade my licence to PCP when I do my labour mobility application? Or is it fine if a do ACP.
You can absolutely keep your ACP license, but the employer will restrict you to a PCP scope.