Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Education & Training > Cadets / Juniors
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Would like some advice in joining the Fire Services

I'm a 25 years old male and looking into joining the Fire academy's around the Montreal Quebec areas. The questions in my mind is, if quebec does not offer the NFPA 1001 certification will my certificate be recognized in other provinces? The classes are only offered in french but I'm perfectly bilingual just want to know if other provinces recognized Quebec training program. And is 25 too late to be considering this career? I see mostly if anything only 18 year olds around the training grounds. And my last question, what was the one thing you did not expect or anticipate when selecting firefighting as a career? Thank you in advance for you help!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 PM

25 is a good age and in fact you stand a better chance of getting hired as fire depts like to see some life experience. As for quebec qualifications being valid elsewhere i think the real question is where do you want to get hired? If they dont follow nfpa stds but you only want a Quebec job then no worries. But if you want to wirk elsewhere in Canada make sure your college give you nfpa certs.