Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
smoke 'cough ugh' eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
It will depend on what your future department and crew expects from its probies.

As a rule the harder you work your first few years the easier the rest of your career will be.

Your reputation in your department can be made or broken in your first few years.

The last thing you want to be known as when you first start is a lazy *uck, it will stay with you for a long time.

Remember you have two eyes two ears and one mouth.

Hope it helps.
OB
Oldboot is right, it only takes one incident to get labled around the hall. I know alot of guys that have had to put a bunch of years in before they can shake a label they got when they were a recruit, and some never do!

Rember whether you work 24's or 10's and 14's, there will be plenty of time for 'down time' for the most part. But, and this is a big 'but', just because the rest of the crew is kicking back doesn't necessarily mean its probies turn to. As a probie you've got equipment to learn, trucks to learn, classification exams for the next 3-5 years depending on your department, and cleaning that needs to be done each shift, just to think of a few. Think about the interview question that used to be asked all the time, "Tell us what you think a typical shift will be like?". Well think of the answer you would have given for this and apply it. Would you have said "Well I think there would be a lot of TV watching accompanied by huge meals and naps!", hell no (even though this is often true ). Think of the crew you get placed with as an extended, more critical, hard assed interview panel that is relentlessly wathcing you so they can decide whether you belong or not.

A probie should always be taking initiative, don't overstep your bounds, but don't wait to be told the obvious either. If the sh$#er needs to be cleaned, clean it; if the truck needs to be washed, wash it; If there are dishes in the sink, even if they aren't yours, wash them. Don't sit back and wait for the captain or one of the guys on your crew to tell you. Same with studying or learning the trucks, no one is going to take you by the hand to make sure you do this stuff, you need to take the initiative to do these things. If you do, the guys on shift will notice, if you don't they'll notice to, and belive me you want them to notice for the right reason if not they can make life around the hall hell.

With all said though, you need to find balance as a probie. You need to be able to sit with the guys to watch the hockey game, or eat a meal, or whatever else the guys do to relax, this is an important way to fit in with the crew and show them that you belong. You also need to do the things mentioned before, the trick is finding a way to balance the two (and you thought it was all smiles and sunshine after you got your congratulations letter!). If you can like most do you'll integrate well into station life!

And regarding the hall kitchen, its the heart of the station, the guys come together there, they argue together there, they laugh together there. Its were 95% of station life happens.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Senior's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnotahobby
they argue together there
"Not so much" so they say. In all honesty in all my short career as a full time firefighter(33 years) do I remember any actual arguing at the "Kitchen Table". There may have been the odd disagreement but that was usually taken behind closed doors in private, possibly with an officer mediating. There is definitely a lot of bantering, especially about sports teams etc.
The " Kitchen Table" in my eyes has always been a place of camaraderie, friendship, support, learning and of course good old fun.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM
smoke 'cough ugh' eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsqyu View Post
"Not so much" so they say. In all honesty in all my short career as a full time firefighter(33 years) do I remember any actual arguing at the "Kitchen Table". There may have been the odd disagreement but that was usually taken behind closed doors in private, possibly with an officer mediating. There is definitely a lot of bantering, especially about sports teams etc.
The " Kitchen Table" in my eyes has always been a place of camaraderie, friendship, support, learning and of course good old fun.
I agree, argueing usually steming from who has the better body Jessica Biel or Scarlett Johansen. Which everyone knows by the way that its Scarlett!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotahobby View Post
Oldboot is right, it only takes one incident to get labled around the hall. I know alot of guys that have had to put a bunch of years in before they can shake a label they got when they were a recruit, and some never do!

Rember whether you work 24's or 10's and 14's, there will be plenty of time for 'down time' for the most part. But, and this is a big 'but', just because the rest of the crew is kicking back doesn't necessarily mean its probies turn to. As a probie you've got equipment to learn, trucks to learn, classification exams for the next 3-5 years depending on your department, and cleaning that needs to be done each shift, just to think of a few. Think about the interview question that used to be asked all the time, "Tell us what you think a typical shift will be like?". Well think of the answer you would have given for this and apply it. Would you have said "Well I think there would be a lot of TV watching accompanied by huge meals and naps!", hell no (even though this is often true ). Think of the crew you get placed with as an extended, more critical, hard assed interview panel that is relentlessly wathcing you so they can decide whether you belong or not.

A probie should always be taking initiative, don't overstep your bounds, but don't wait to be told the obvious either. If the sh$#er needs to be cleaned, clean it; if the truck needs to be washed, wash it; If there are dishes in the sink, even if they aren't yours, wash them. Don't sit back and wait for the captain or one of the guys on your crew to tell you. Same with studying or learning the trucks, no one is going to take you by the hand to make sure you do this stuff, you need to take the initiative to do these things. If you do, the guys on shift will notice, if you don't they'll notice to, and belive me you want them to notice for the right reason if not they can make life around the hall hell.

With all said though, you need to find balance as a probie. You need to be able to sit with the guys to watch the hockey game, or eat a meal, or whatever else the guys do to relax, this is an important way to fit in with the crew and show them that you belong. You also need to do the things mentioned before, the trick is finding a way to balance the two (and you thought it was all smiles and sunshine after you got your congratulations letter!). If you can like most do you'll integrate well into station life!

And regarding the hall kitchen, its the heart of the station, the guys come together there, they argue together there, they laugh together there. Its were 95% of station life happens.
Well said. A friend of mine that's on the job gave me very similar advice before I started, and I've did my best to follow it.

This job is all about fitting in, and itsnotahobby has just given you all a fantastic "Cole's Notes" as to how to do this.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Some of the many reasons I love this job! (well...Will love...just not on a department yet!)
Getting the congrats letter is just the beginning!
Thanks again for all the advice
Old 06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
TRUST NO ONE

Quote:
Think of it as the big family "holiday dinner". All the other crap happens everywhere else, but the kitchen table is where "family " atmosphere really comes together.

I guess you really have to experience it to really enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Kitchen is hands down the best room in the hall. Info on the rigs, calls ,addresses, who did what is exchanged. No matter how much management can weigh us down sometimes we'll always have the bull shit sessions at the kitchen table. "Top up my coffee piss kid!!"
Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 AM

You guys all have BBQ's right? And now that it is summer, well almost pretty much 95% of our cooking is out on the bbq. I have a great tip if you are looking to get an upgrade in the bbq department. Leave it on when you get a call.....! When you come back it will be in flames and ruin! And you will have to get a new one! Nothing gets the blood flowing like returning to station to see a plume of smoke rising from the back of your hall.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFbeaumont View Post
You guys all have BBQ's right? And now that it is summer, well almost pretty much 95% of our cooking is out on the bbq. I have a great tip if you are looking to get an upgrade in the bbq department. Leave it on when you get a call.....! When you come back it will be in flames and ruin! And you will have to get a new one! Nothing gets the blood flowing like returning to station to see a plume of smoke rising from the back of your hall.
Nice idea BUT...............Our BBQ's are bought through an amenities fund through union dues. This means a new BBQ comes out of our pockets, so with seven to buy we need to take care of them.
Ours are natural gas so they plug into the building ( supplied by City).
I have seen ours "Self cleaned" for a few hours when someone forgot to shut one off!