Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Health and Lifestyle > Firehouse Cooking
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Wink having a couple of "quick and easy" meals as a basis is always great

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWildland View Post
Hey guys I have to admit I have had it lucky for the last 8 years. The wifes cooking is top notch and I have never had to cook. Now that I am on full time, after training I will be required to do the cooking.

I have searched this forum and there is lots of good info on everyone's best dish but I am looking for info on what the usual dishes are around Canadian fire halls......Even Russian fire halls for that matter LOL...

I have 11 weeks to start basic training at the stove.
and Having things that are "standards" are good to, One of the ones the Guys always love is roasted potatoes whatIdo is dice them large bite sized and once in the roasting pan good for a new B get a package of that Lipton Onion soup mix, The powdered stuff, and add a package a 1/4 cup of olive oil mix it with a wisk and pour it over your taters, and mix it so the oil gets all over the taters preheat the oven hot ( ours is gas and we use a commercial Roasting pan so they roast Really well, after 15 minutes if you like youcan always turn em back down Figure about an hour at 375.. Halfway through Youmight want to try to turn them, other wise You might need an airdrill chipper to clean the pan.. The idea is to get a good crusty apperance with the seasoning infused ,mmmmm some taters roast better then others reds and yukons are just fine long as they arent soft... mashed are easy , change em up and do raw frys occasionally too.. or scalloped baked in mmmm I'll getto entrees after i eat......lol
Old 09-25-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Chicken burgers

Try these...... very tasty chicken burgers

Get enough ground chicken to make about a half pound burger for everyone on shift
enough swizz cheese to put a slice on every burger+ canned pineapple... also enough to put on piece on each burger + whole wheat buns or white buns

BBQ burgers till they are ready ( stick free pan also works but not as well )

Add cheese while cooking, then grill the pineapple so it takes drys out a bit ( a few minutes )

Add the pineapple when complete, toast buns

Basically just normal chicken burgers but they come out with a wonderful island taste that everyone cant get enough of when i have get togethers ( every weekend ) ahah

Toss a large salad, cut up tomatoes,block cheese, green pepper, red pepper and carrots

very healthy and filling meal for the crew, it might be a bit different then the pasta and or steak and rice meals normally made.........but so filling and tasty.... i got this from my grandfather who was a chef for 50 years downtown toronto

\

Hopefully this helps

Regards
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM

Been on the floor now for 1 month and the cooking is going pretty good guys. Thanks for all the advice. Now if I can just remember to look in the ceiling tiles before settling down for the night.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Keep in mind depending on the shift you work, when its your turn you may have to prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner
Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM
braithre thar gach ni

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyWildland View Post
Hey guys I have to admit I have had it lucky for the last 8 years. The wifes cooking is top notch and I have never had to cook. Now that I am on full time, after training I will be required to do the cooking.

I have searched this forum and there is lots of good info on everyone's best dish but I am looking for info on what the usual dishes are around Canadian fire halls......Even Russian fire halls for that matter LOL...

I have 11 weeks to start basic training at the stove.
I gotta say..I have been a Chef for 12 years and a cooking for 18. the cheat for anyone who wants to learn how to cook....foodnetwork.com. Millions of step by step recipies, a great resource.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 AM
culinary genius

Send a message via MSN to FireChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ View Post
I gotta say..I have been a Chef for 12 years and a cooking for 18. the cheat for anyone who wants to learn how to cook....foodnetwork.com. Millions of step by step recipies, a great resource.
Where did you do your training??
Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
braithre thar gach ni

Started my pre apprenticeship in high school, did stage at Westin Bayshore, Four seasons, La belle auberge, went to VCC for 1 yr program, apprenticed at seasons in the park for 2 years, 6 months at Northview golf, A short stint at moustache Cafe and le Gavroche, finished the apprenticeship at a place called Zev's under Zev beck from Century grill. Worked in just about every place in Vancouver, ran a few joints. Competed a bit in the late 90's and I am currently doing a couple of days at the Marriot downtown.

Last edited by doc_ : 12-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Website I stumbled across for all you guys that can't cook and have a crew to feed!!!

http://www.firehousechef.com/