Old 03-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Advantages of JIBC?

I'm planning on taking my fire fighter training at the end of the year, but was debating whether or not to take it at the JIBC or somewhere cheaper like Training Division. I have talked to 2 former fire chiefs in BC that have told me some departments frown upon training taken in Texas, which could make it more difficult for me to get hired. However, another former fire chief in BC has told me that it does not matter where I take my training as long as I obtain the proper certification from an accredited school.
I also talked to firefighters in BC that have both done their training at the JIBC and from Training Division. However, I know a few guys that took their training from Training Division and SMART Fire that have not succeeded in getting hired thus far.
So I'm somewhat torn between the two options because I do not want to hurt my chances of getting hired after my training, but I do not know if taking my training in Texas would necessarily do that or if taking my training at the JIBC has any advantaged in that regard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jeev91 : 03-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM

Jeev91

If you consider how many trained people fail to be hired as a firefighter, you should conclude that there are more important and relevant factors to being hired than where you received your training. Frankly, if that is the only firefighting training and experience a candidate has, everyone (but the candidate) understands they donít know jack anyway.

From you research some departments may have a preference (or a non-preference) with regards to a training organization. If you are restricting yourself to a few departments in BC (likely a bad idea) then dig a little more on those specific departments, otherwise choose what works for you.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckay91 View Post
Jeev91

If you consider how many trained people fail to be hired as a firefighter, you should conclude that there are more important and relevant factors to being hired than where you received your training. Frankly, if that is the only firefighting training and experience a candidate has, everyone (but the candidate) understands they donít know jack anyway.

From you research some departments may have a preference (or a non-preference) with regards to a training organization. If you are restricting yourself to a few departments in BC (likely a bad idea) then dig a little more on those specific departments, otherwise choose what works for you.
hmckay91

Thanks for the response. I understand that where you have received your training is only one of several factors that departments consider during the hiring process. This is the main reason I have considered Training Division because it would give me more financial freedom to explore volunteering and work-experience options (such as the one offered by the Merritt Fire Rescue Department). Since my parents live in BC and I will likely have to take care of them in the future I do want to work for a department in BC. The research I have done so far has left me a bit unsure of which option to choose even though I am leaning more towards Training Division so I am just looking for some feedback from others with more experience than I before making my final choice.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 PM

Default Training Division

I myself went through Training Division. However, even though I am not hired on yet, I do not feel it's the leading factor as to why. It is a long and lengthy process to get the job. I am not a POC in the lower mainland, but I feel that experience is key (if you can get on with a paid call dept. then I would suggest doing the Training Division anyway). If you are in a financial burden, and feel taking time off from work will be a problem, then I suggest going threw Training Division (and though SMART Fire, if you like). I have 2 friends that have been hired just within the last two recruitment with Vancouver that went through Training Division, and one with Surrey about a year ago.

From my experience and what I've been told is that getting your 1001 is getting your 1001. Both schools are reputable. You get what you pay for with the hands on portion, which ultimately can be a helping hand a couple years down the road if your not hired on and want that hands on skills boost during a ride along.

I do not regret my decision, because it work best for me. You need to find out what works best for you and those in your life.

Best regards,

BKR32

P.S. If you go through TD, you are eligible to start ASAP with no wait list, and if you are determined to finish, it allows you to apply to departments sooner than later.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:56 PM

There are a few disadvantages to Training Division- but the most prominent (coming from a guy who works with a number of TD "grads" is they don't get Pump A / 1002 A (whatever you want to call it).

Granted, it's only a week course... but if I've got an option on a candidate who has it over one who doesn't with all other things being equal it's obvious which one I'll choose.

I can take two turds and give one a certificate from one school and the other a certificate from the other ... neither will get hired because ... well... they're turds. Both have an equal opportunity to get hired or not... but they probably won't be. Fact is, a lot of it sways on the interview and qualifications- not on where they were achieved.

Proper certifications (don't forget about your medical component!) go a long way. I can't remember sitting in an interview thinking (oh... well this isn't very good! He got his training at Fire ETC. I HATE fire schools that use acronyms that moonlight as abbreviations!) More to the point is that you have what we're looking for and represent yourself well in the interview.

What I'm saying OP is that at least in my opinion you should do the one that is going to help ensure you succeed and survive... if finances are a concern for your life overall then manage that and make your decision based on that. Fact is if you go the other route and find yourself 10s of thousands of dollars in debt from dues and living expenses... and then out pounding pavement looking for a job (that pays just enough to sustain you nevermind pay back your loans)...

The decision actually sounds REALLY easy.

Last edited by bloggins : 03-15-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Default Both are good options

Hi Jeev91
One of the top reasons why some one doesn't get hired after the go to Training Division is they don't do their research in what else they need to apply.

The JI gives you everything you need to apply except for your Class 3 DL.

Training Division creates a void because their EMR is not recognized by EMA licensing here and there are First Aid training companies that have given hundreds if not thousands of Training division graduates a FR certificate not a license. Unfortunately most graduates don't realize that and that is the prime reason they don't get hired.

If you want BKR32 can fill you in on that but its a huge problem

If you have any questions in regards to your First Responder please shoot me a PM or email at firestormfirstaid@yahoo.com

Good luck