Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Recruitment > Hiring
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmy22 View Post
When I say paramedics, I'm talking about what we call in Canada, the ALS paramedic. The states just calls it paramedic. The AEMCA is around 200 or so. And as a part timer, I don't get steady shifts. There's times that I may only get 3 a month. The rest of the time I'm doing pt transfer. So overall, I've been trying to pay back school loans before I go out and take another one to do paramedic training in the states (because it's cheaper). Make sense now?
Are you a COP too?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday View Post
Are you a COP too?
Not a chance lol
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Not a chance lol
so you're doing "als" paramedic in the states? because in Canada we simply don't have that.

So you're an american citizen? because they wont just let you work there after taking a few week Texas course... again, none of what you are saying is valid.

e:

also, after finally admitting to JUST being out of pre-service, I can tell you with great confidence that there haven't been at least 6 dpts in Ontario that have hired within the last little while, to have made it to interviews already, providing that your "just out of pre-service" is the last class that would have graduated, that being around January ish I would assume.

Last edited by Probie91 : 04-14-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
When I say paramedics, I'm talking about what we call in Canada, the ALS paramedic. The states just calls it paramedic. The AEMCA is around 200 or so. And as a part timer, I don't get steady shifts. There's times that I may only get 3 a month. The rest of the time I'm doing pt transfer. So overall, I've been trying to pay back school loans before I go out and take another one to do paramedic training in the states (because it's cheaper). Make sense now?
Oh the ALS Paramedic - I get it now - that's the one from the made up academy of Paramedics...

In Ontario we have PCP, ACP and CCP, which you would know, if you were a Paramedic of any level....

Quote:
the ALS paramedic. The states just calls it paramedic.
The US Academy of Photoshopped Certificates might just call it "paramedic" but any cert you get from any real-life school will call it the NREMT-P. If you actually have the NREMT-I you would know this.

One day I'll introduce you to Wikipedia - its awesome when you want to make stuff up

Last edited by palcakes : 04-14-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm right out of pre service yes. I took my EMT-I in Texas in TEEX in college station and I'm yet to write my A-EMCA. That's why I'm EMCA pending. Next is paramedics (ALS here).
Quote:
At the moment I work doing patient transfer and part time EMS
So what you're saying is that an Ontario EMS company hired you based on you having a US EMT-I and being AEMCA pending?

I dont know of any Ontario EMS company that would hire anyone as being AEMCA Pending when they trained in the US and are only EMT-I

To work as a Paramedic in Canada under the equivalency process run by the MOHLTC you have to already be an EMT-P, provide documentation of 450hrs of field time on an actual ambulance, pass 4 different tests and then pass the AEMCA.

How did you get hired as just an EMT-I?

Last edited by PoleSlider : 04-14-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleSlider View Post
To work as a Paramedic in Canada under the equivalency process run by the MOHLTC you have to already be an EMT-P, provide documentation of 450hrs of field time on an actual ambulance, pass 4 different tests and then pass the AEMCA.
plus you have to beat all the local paramedic students who trained in ontario and have local precepor recommendations. Why would any company hire a US trained kid when there are a million ontario trained ones all fighting to get the job..... beyond crazy my friend.... suppose you'll be the guy driving around with the huge "Im a paramedic" sticker on his car wearing his "I'm a paramedic" tshirt
Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleSlider View Post

How did you get hired as just an EMT-I?
I think I've solved the mystery...

http://www.sja.ca/English/Community-...ices-Home.aspx
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probemyfirehole View Post
Why would any company hire a US trained kid when there are a million ontario trained ones all fighting to get the job.....
Because he's not from onterrible... Duh.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Why don't fire departments here in Ontario often hire people around the ages of 18-23ish area.
Judging by his quote seems he is local...

Last edited by palcakes : 04-14-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 PM

And from what I quoted in my post I kind of assumed I wasn't talking about whatever you said- whatever it was.