Old 06-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Default Stability versus experience?

Hi all,

Just looking for some insight here. I am your typical firefighter wannabe...Pre-service grad, volley, 1001-er with a background in manual labour. I have moved around a lot and held a number of jobs but have never worked anywhere for more than a year. Now I am deciding on another possible move/job-change. How much do recruiters value stability? Is it detrimental to my cause to have a resume that demonstrates only a few months here and there, or, conversely, is it more valuable to keep accumulating varied experience?

Just a thought. I appreciate any feedback
Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Very circumstantial- If you divulged that you get bored easily or something to that effect then you could probably keep talking but the interview is over.

With that said, a few job moves pre-career (especially these days) is not uncommon and if balanced out enough to gain some experience (sticking it out for a year or so) in various pursuits then it can work to your benefit.

A big part of it would be about identifying that you do have focus, and vision for what you want to be and what it has taken to get there. Ensure that you can find ways to relate the experience you gained moving so often to how it will help you adapt to this new environment, how its enhanced your ability to be integrated into new groups and learn new skills within the fire discipline.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 AM

Just an idea - kind of outside the box. But do you have to have every job on your resume? You could have gaps on your resume and explain them as "I spent a few years working and travelling. I would have a job for a while until I saved up enough to travel and then off I went, travelling. I was young and wanted to see the world."

To answer your question I would say if a hiring panel were deciding against one person who had just 1 long term job and another with a resume filled with jobs then they might look at the more stable prospect as a better option. But the prospect that's had an interesting life and done some travelling whilst he was young that might be a different story.

Another option - I know a friend (not a fire applicant) who got rid of a bunch of smaller jobs from his resume and just said he was self employed for a while. Just need to come up with something you can do, and a good reason for why you stopped, but when they go searching for references, well hey you were self employed so there are none...

Last edited by DWilliams : 06-08-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Where is the integrity and honesty in that?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliams View Post
Just an idea - kind of outside the box. But do you have to have every job on your resume? You could have gaps on your resume and explain them as "I spent a few years working and travelling. I would have a job for a while until I saved up enough to travel and then off I went, travelling. I was young and wanted to see the world."

To answer your question I would say if a hiring panel were deciding against one person who had just 1 long term job and another with a resume filled with jobs then they might look at the more stable prospect as a better option. But the prospect that's had an interesting life and done some travelling whilst he was young that might be a different story.

Another option - I know a friend (not a fire applicant) who got rid of a bunch of smaller jobs from his resume and just said he was self employed for a while. Just need to come up with something you can do, and a good reason for why you stopped, but when they go searching for references, well hey you were self employed so there are none...
Just a heads up: I know of potential new hires who eliminated themselves when it was discovered they had misrepresented themselves. H.R. people look at 1000's of resumes vs the 1 you will write.
Its not worth BSing your way to a job.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliams View Post
This suggestion is just pure garbage. It's one thing to leave unrelated job experience off a resume in the interest of keeping it down to < 3 pages but to do it with the intention of bending the truth or outright lying about it is reprehensible.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have definitely needed to pare down my resume simply to save space. Living in a rural area means that work is seasonal, hence having to move from job to job! And no, I would never consider any form of misrepresentation...