Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Recruitment > Recruitment & Career Questions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 PM
jshaw jshaw is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Default 10 best interview tips period.

Hi my name is Jay a professional firefighter and graduate student who has helped tons of recruits with the behavior based interview. This is my top ten list of the best of the best. For more of the best job advice go to 911college.ca

10. Study the department you're applying for. The 5 W's of that department. Research.

9. Write it down. Answers, stories, anything and everything you can about what you are doing to prepare.

8. Know your resume cold. When the panel asks you what you did in 2005 before you went to Europe. You better be smooth and know your story straight .

7. Study the recruitment package for tells about competencies, traits and free info on what will happen to you. So many department tell the applicant what the questions will be on based on core values , ethics, and professional traits they require.

6. Where a suit. period! No flashy ties, or shoes, or belt buckles and take the metal off your face. You want to look the part.

5. Dry run to the building to check for route timing and parking availability. You show up late, your done.

4. Practice with a video recorder and get your hours in . Yes hours! Most Canadian admit to practicing aprox. one hour for an important job interview. You need 15-30 depending on your skill level and speaking ability. No joke. You should be talking to your self in the car , while you jog.......

3. Your resume is what your stories are about, who you are and what you are. Prepare your behavior based interviews answers on your life experiences . Not made up stuff that will get you off topic and lost.

2. Behavior based interviews are designed to get the applicant to talk about a skill or competency that they want from you, in a manner that describes and tells that you actually have the skill. Google search STAR technique for Behavior based interviews and focus on this tool.

1. Firm hand shake, eye contact, confidence because you prepared for 30+ hours, Say the interviewers name back to the person, and three times in your head, it's okay to pause for 2-3 seconds before speaking to collect your thoughts and load your perfectly practiced answer to their competency based question, if you ask a question at the end make sure it's insightful and not just filler. " I recently read in the news that this department is using a new HAZMAT trailer for decon. during drug labs, What other specialty units do you operate?" BAD QUESTION you should know this already - I have read a lot about this service and I would love to learn more about the future of EMS and this department. When I stopped by station 3 the senior FF had mentioned how many medical calls they go on. Do you see a need to grow in this area ? WHEN you leave, go straight to a quite place and brain dump for 3o minutes every thing you can remember about what happened to you. All the ?'s ans every thing you can write.

Best of luck,
Jay
Contact me at info@911college.ca

Last edited by jshaw : 04-23-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 PM
KootenayKid KootenayKid is offline
 
Posts: 94
Default

Awesome awesome awesome!! Great advice. I've only been to one department behavioural interview and although I thought I had the qualifications and had prepared...I knew as soon as I walked out that I had blown it. I have another one coming up and hopefully one in May or June and I appreciate the advice. It is a whole new experience if you've never done an interview like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2014, 01:16 PM
justin12 justin12 is offline
 
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaw View Post
Hi my name is Jay a professional firefighter and graduate student who has helped tons of recruits with the behavior based interview. This is my top ten list of the best of the best. For more of the best job advice go to 911college.ca

10. Study the department you're applying for. The 5 W's of that department. Research.

9. Write it down. Answers, stories, anything and everything you can about what you are doing to prepare.

8. Know your resume cold. When the panel asks you what you did in 2005 before you went to Europe. You better be smooth and know your story straight .

7. Study the recruitment package for tells about competencies, traits and free info on what will happen to you. So many department tell the applicant what the questions will be on based on core values , ethics, and professional traits they require.

6. Where a suit. period! No flashy ties, or shoes, or belt buckles and take the metal off your face. You want to look the part.

5. Dry run to the building to check for route timing and parking availability. You show up late, your done.

4. Practice with a video recorder and get your hours in . Yes hours! Most Canadian admit to practicing aprox. one hour for an important job interview. You need 15-30 depending on your skill level and speaking ability. No joke. You should be talking to your self in the car , while you jog.......

3. Your resume is what your stories are about, who you are and what you are. Prepare your behavior based interviews answers on your life experiences . Not made up stuff that will get you off topic and lost.

2. Behavior based interviews are designed to get the applicant to talk about a skill or competency that they want from you, in a manner that describes and tells that you actually have the skill. Google search STAR technique for Behavior based interviews and focus on this tool.

1. Firm hand shake, eye contact, confidence because you prepared for 30+ hours, Say the interviewers name back to the person, and three times in your head, it's okay to pause for 2-3 seconds before speaking to collect your thoughts and load your perfectly practiced answer to their competency based question, if you ask a question at the end make sure it's insightful and not just filler. " I recently read in the news that this department is using a new HAZMAT trailer for decon. during drug labs, What other specialty units do you operate?" BAD QUESTION you should know this already - I have read a lot about this service and I would love to learn more about the future of EMS and this department. When I stopped by station 3 the senior FF had mentioned how many medical calls they go on. Do you see a need to grow in this area ? WHEN you leave, go straight to a quite place and brain dump for 3o minutes every thing you can remember about what happened to you. All the ?'s ans every thing you can write.

Best of luck,
Jay
Contact me at info@911college.ca

I know this is an old post but I thought of a relevant question to post here. Does anyone have an opinion on wearing my volunteer dress blues to a career interview?

I have 2 schools of thought on this. Shows you are the part and respect the service so it's a good idea. On the other hand, would you wear a McDonald's uniform to a Harvey's interview (just a stupid analogy but makes a good point).

Anyone who has an opinion on this please offer, or if you've done this yourself and it worked? Or is it best to go with just a nice business suit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM
ex_re ex_re is offline
 
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin12 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on wearing my volunteer dress blues to a career interview?

I have 2 schools of thought on this. Shows you are the part and respect the service so it's a good idea. On the other hand, would you wear a McDonald's uniform to a Harvey's interview (just a stupid analogy but makes a good point).

Anyone who has an opinion on this please offer, or if you've done this yourself and it worked? Or is it best to go with just a nice business suit?

Thanks!
NO NO NO NO NO.

You'll simply waste whatever time your interview takes because showing up dressed like that just screams 'NIMROD' who doesn't understand what he's there to do, and they will politely conduct the interview, answering 'ummm hmm' to all your answers, and you'll get the 'thanks but not thanks letter/email' a few days hence.

Just think of those guys with pagers/volley fire t-shirts at the written test.. did any of that help them write the test? Nope, just made them look like knobs.

You're not there to prove how great a firefighter you ARE, you are there to prove how great a firefighter THEY CAN TRAIN YOU TO BE. Full stop.

Business suit only.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM
PNEFD's Avatar
PNEFD PNEFD is offline
Senior Member
 
Location: Onterrible
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_re View Post
NO NO NO NO NO.

You'll simply waste whatever time your interview takes because showing up dressed like that just screams 'NIMROD' who doesn't understand what he's there to do, and they will politely conduct the interview, answering 'ummm hmm' to all your answers, and you'll get the 'thanks but not thanks letter/email' a few days hence.

Just think of those guys with pagers/volley fire t-shirts at the written test.. did any of that help them write the test? Nope, just made them look like knobs.

You're not there to prove how great a firefighter you ARE, you are there to prove how great a firefighter THEY CAN TRAIN YOU TO BE. Full stop.

Business suit only.
ex_re hit the nail on the head! Business suit only! I also agree with the written test... Fire shirts, pre-service uniforms and pagers just make you stick out as the one(s) they don't want.

Not saying anyone shouldn't be proud of what they do, but it's not the place. Everyone there has a pretty good idea of everyone's general background anyways.
__________________
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM
justin12 justin12 is offline
 
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNEFD View Post
ex_re hit the nail on the head! Business suit only! I also agree with the written test... Fire shirts, pre-service uniforms and pagers just make you stick out as the one(s) they don't want.

Not saying anyone shouldn't be proud of what they do, but it's not the place. Everyone there has a pretty good idea of everyone's general background anyways.


Thanks for the feedback guys, makes sense for the interview, appreciate the straight-up responses. Honestly, don't think wearing a fire t-shirt to the tests has any impact negative or positive, nothing wrong with representing your current department.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 AM
CDNROOK CDNROOK is offline
 
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNEFD View Post
ex_re hit the nail on the head! Business suit only! I also agree with the written test... Fire shirts, pre-service uniforms and pagers just make you stick out as the one(s) they don't want.

Not saying anyone shouldn't be proud of what they do, but it's not the place. Everyone there has a pretty good idea of everyone's general background anyways.
Not trying to pick on you Justin12, but guys that wear fire shirts of any kind to a recruitment process are one of my pet peeves. PNEFD is totally right and to add to his statement, if you're so proud of your volly dept and want to show off your colours everywhere then why are you even applying to another dept in the first place? Leave the uni at home for each step and you have a better chance of not sticking out for the wrong reasons.

Hope it's not to harsh but that's the message I get when someone wears a fire shirt from a different dept to a testing step. Good luck either way!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-13-2014, 05:55 AM
ex_re ex_re is offline
 
Posts: 136
Default Exactly...

CDNROOK nailed it.

You should only wear 3 things during a recruitment process.

Interviews? - Business suit. No axe/maltese cross tie pins either.
Written test? - Smart casual. Others will say wear what you want but let me put it this way, if you find it so onerous to dress respectfully for a stage in a recruitment process where you are competing against THOUSANDS then you probably don't have what it takes to beat those THOUSANDS to the job.

PT test/ CPAT? - Decent PT gear.

Nowhere in the above orders of dress should you be wearing volley fire t-shirts.

Trust us on this.... YOU WILL LOOK LIKE A D***HEAD.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 AM
justin12 justin12 is offline
 
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_re View Post
CDNROOK nailed it.

You should only wear 3 things during a recruitment process.

Interviews? - Business suit. No axe/maltese cross tie pins either.
Written test? - Smart casual. Others will say wear what you want but let me put it this way, if you find it so onerous to dress respectfully for a stage in a recruitment process where you are competing against THOUSANDS then you probably don't have what it takes to beat those THOUSANDS to the job.

PT test/ CPAT? - Decent PT gear.

Nowhere in the above orders of dress should you be wearing volley fire t-shirts.

Trust us on this.... YOU WILL LOOK LIKE A D***HEAD.

Appreciate the candidness guys. Will follow suit. Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM
crankitup crankitup is offline
 
Posts: 75
Default

just gonna throw in one more point and a very important one
Be yourself. There's nothing worse then hearing the same scripted anwers over and over.
Relax, be honest and true to yourself and if you're right for the job it will happen
And a suits not 100 percent needed, tie yes, suit no. If you're not comfortable ina suit, dress how you feel comfortable-within reason
remember, just cuz you have all the certs doesnt mean you're right for the job. Lots of guys with minumum requirements get hired simply because they were themselves and right for the job
and no volly shirts ever. Don't be a schmuck.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.