Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > The Lounge > Greetings
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM

Default Aussie firefighter seeking information about requirements to apply for Canada

Hey Guys and girls,
I am a firefighter in Darwin Australia and I wanted to find out some information about if its possible for me to apply fire Canadian fire departments. My girlfriend is from Winnipeg Manitoba and we wanted to move back to Canada so she could be closer to her family. I am very keen to try and get a position with over there but I am not sure how different the training is or if I can even apply. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks heaps,
Nick.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM

I think for the most part provided your certifications are equivalent to NFPA / IFSTA / Proboard you shouldn't have any problem getting the required certifications. Commonly we apply for the common seals (IFSTA / PROBOARD) with our NFPA accreditations because they are internationally recognized training standards.

Typically you just submit your existing credentials to those institutions and each certification costs a certain amount of money. This is assuming you have any training.

I don't know what would prevent you from applying... We're talking about CANADA here eh!