Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Default Interview

I put a lot of time and effort into aptitude tests, like a lot of others on here; however with recent reflection, I realized if I got an interview, I would not be prepared. Anybody out here willing to share past interview experiences/questions. Any help would be appreciated, I should really start to work on this. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 AM
Firemarshal Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfire7 View Post
I put a lot of time and effort into aptitude tests, like a lot of others on here; however with recent reflection, I realized if I got an interview, I would not be prepared. Anybody out here willing to share past interview experiences/questions. Any help would be appreciated, I should really start to work on this. Thank you.
I've had (5) interviews over the past 8+ yrs, and it's always extremely nerve racking, regardless of how prepared you are. I've had coaching three times, and I highly suggest it. Every interview I've had gets better and better with the last one leaving me feeling very confident, but it still wasn't enough. The interview's for all the marbles, so I'd really focus on that.

FMB
Old 03-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Most interviews these days are situational / behavioral- and being familiar with the STAR method of answering will be beneficial. I won't go re-write what 1 million webpages have already described... there are ample examples out there as well as coaching tools that walk you through it. That'll get you started.

As for the interview side of things- my only suggestion is that you be intimately familiar with the department and the community you're applying for. Look at the service's history and find aspects of its progression that inspired you or interested you in becoming a member. Get a feel for what they value and subtly draw connections between those and your own. Know what the shift schedule is and get a feel for what type of apparatus they run. You may get an opportunity to chip in a quick comment about how much pride the crews take in the apparatus since they're always immaculate, or make a side comment about how you've worked on that style of truck before and really liked it... or... how the transverse was set up... or whatever. It demonstrates an interest in the service.

It's much, much easier walking into the interview with a sense of what they're going to ask or at least have something to which to connect your answers. It gives you a focal point- a map... You know how to route your answers to the destination. Not only does it demonstrate your values (don't like about your values- find ways to connect yours to theirs... if they don't line up then why are you even there?) but it also clearly shows that you have done your research.

If you have an intriguing story about why it is that you decided to be a firefighter- then make sure you keep it in your back pocket because the HR folks still think it's pretty magical. The whole "I just really like to help people" thing got old about 2 decades ago and if a firefighter / chief officer is sitting in his eyes will backpedal into his head. I pay more attention to the guy who says "Chicks dig a guy in uniform" since he's obviously got a sense of humour.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Default Start out here....

With any interview you have to think of yourself as a car salesman with the upper hand. You already know what the client (the department) wants, your job is to sell the car (yourself) to the client. What do I mean by that? Before you go into any interview you should have prepared by doing the following:

-understand the department you are applying for. Go do a ride along, understand what is important to them through questions to who works there
-understand yourself, you should have a good idea of at least five of your strengths/attributes.
-match the above two. You should have a general idea of the questions, now how do you connect the two?

if you want more advice send me a message.

DC Elliott