Old 04-14-2014, 08:34 AM

Default Recruitment tips

Hey guys and gals,

I've been a vollie for 3 years and just finished acquiring my NFPA certs and I work construction. Just wondering what tips you guys could give to a guy going into the starting phases of a recruitment process (recently applied for Windsor)
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 PM

Make sure your resume is up to date, and start studying for whichever written test they are going to administer to you. Especially if it is CPS. I use testreadypro.com, but there are several books or other methods you could use.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Make sure to prep yourself for the interview process and start early. The interview portion is one of the most important and is sometimes overlooked. I always try to prepare for an application like I am going to get the job. There are lots of helpful sites out there but be sure to look at the STAR approach for answering questions.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM

I've got my text books from pre service still as well as a firefighterprep.com account
Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM

Anything I should try to get on my resume? I've got some different NFPA courses in auto ex and rope rescue and ice rescue. Got my DZ and I just applied to a patient transfer company to try and better my medical skills. The construction is only a seasonal type of job

Last edited by Firefighter126 : 04-14-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 PM

List everything you have on your resume. All of those skills you spent the time to get need to be there. Your construction skills are good but your volunteer service and firefighter skills are more important to list. Your training will get you to the interview your experience at work and in life will aid you in the interview and get you the job.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire1978 View Post
Your construction skills are good but your volunteer service and firefighter skills are more important to list.
Fire departments love trades- were you the guy cleaning the floor or were you working with an actual trade?

I'd take a guy who understood how a house was built over some guy who did 3 calls a year with some department in the boondocks and drank on every training night in the hall training orifice.

And for the love of god don't list everything. I don't care if you mowed lawns when you were 15 or were president of the chess club. List the stuff pertinent to the job and I would be putting some time in upgrading your medical qualifications- first aid / CPR / EMR (or whatever it's called where you are)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggins View Post
Fire departments love trades- were you the guy cleaning the floor or were you working with an actual trade?

I'd take a guy who understood how a house was built over some guy who did 3 calls a year with some department in the boondocks and drank on every training night in the hall training orifice.

And for the love of god don't list everything. I don't care if you mowed lawns when you were 15 or were president of the chess club. List the stuff pertinent to the job and I would be putting some time in upgrading your medical qualifications- first aid / CPR / EMR (or whatever it's called where you are)
I'm doing my apprentice hours for my ticket in construction. I've got my EMR. I'm located in Ontario. Our department runs a fair amount of calls per year too, up to 67 this year.