Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Health and Lifestyle > Firehouse Cooking
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 AM
RIP DFCSmash

Default Getting into A Rut!

hey folks,
I am hoping to change my eating habits sometime in the near Future, I was wondering if anyone has a good link or copy of a cook Book that they can recommend, I am hoping to take my family along for the trend....I am so tired of the some old things, and I want healthy nutrious choices that don't suck looking for your typical Quick, Easy and Healthy Ideas... Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:47 AM

Flashover, buddy, I hear ya'! I have been trying to enter a lean out phase and just can't do it, I've been "bulking" for far too long and just can't seem to make the switch as well!!! The best advice I could give you would be to get out and buy the GI Diet book and the GI Diet recipe book. GI stands for Glycemic Index. I lent mine to a friend who has now moved away, so must replace!

It's not really a "diet", as much as it is a way of eating, it makes complete sense and is really good for your body (easy on the ole digestive system). The foods you stay away from are high GI, they burn easily, or like sugar in your body, such as white bread, instant rice, carrots, pineapple, and you stick to foods that burn more slowly, keep your blood sugar levels even and allow you to skip those dreaded 3pm sugar snack attacks!

Anyway, it's worth looking into. Chapters and Walmart usually carry the books, I've been putting it off, but it's time!!! I've gained ten lbs of ick and need to get rid of it!!! lol

Just a thought!!!
Sue
Old 07-14-2005, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHOVER05
hey folks,
I am hoping to change my eating habits sometime in the near Future, I was wondering if anyone has a good link or copy of a cook Book that they can recommend, I am hoping to take my family along for the trend....I am so tired of the some old things, and I want healthy nutrious choices that don't suck looking for your typical Quick, Easy and Healthy Ideas... Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed!
"Body for Life" program is pretty good...I find you don't have to be quite as picky as they are in the book. Basically offers snack/meal ideas and suggests several small meals...pretty decent workout routine too. Plus the 'free' day is awesome.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Traffic rules....Bah

Here is my real life weight loss Starting in Sept. of last year, I pretty much quit eating junk! I used to pollish off a huge bag of chips per night laying on the floor watchin TV, and always felt like crap for the entire night. Since Sept/04 (my acceptance to USAR) I decided to change! For probably 2 months, I walked 1/2 hour a day, then when it turned cold, I went to the gym and gradually worked that up to about 60 min/most days (30 walk/30 wieghts). I quit eating junk food, I hardly ever have a pop (if I do it's diet)Lots of water. I hardly ever watch TV (cause I am always on firehall ) I find something to do. I am a sandwich fanatic, and since my wife opened a subshop in aug/04, I eat a 6' sub twice/day pretty much every day. For a snack I will eat a muffin or a tart, or whatever...just not junk. At home for snacks, I have yogurt, granola bars, veggie sticks, muffins, stuff like that. I tell ya...I don't feel like I have dieted one bit, because I eat like a pig...I just eat smarter and exercise a bit.....I dropped 25LBS over the winter, and have easily kept it off(so far )

Just my experience,
iamvff
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Red_Devil

Congrats on the weight loss IAMVFF, now you dont need that four wheeler you have in your avatar to haul your fat a$$ around anymore!! keep up the great work!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Hosehog176

Wink Good Eats

Flashover: My wife & I both belong to the (cooking club family) on MSN it is full of good ideas & recipes posted by pros & nonpros plus they have a chat room that is always very helpful. My wife post alot of her recipes there. I hope this is helpful & good eating.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Traffic rules....Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil
Congrats on the weight loss IAMVFF, now you dont need that four wheeler you have in your avatar to haul your fat a$$ around anymore!! keep up the great work!
Oh no...I still need it!! The part I didn't mention is that I dropped from 500lbs down to 475!

iamvff
Old 07-14-2005, 08:14 AM
FTCB

FO eating healthy is all in the head once you get around it then its easy,theres tons of stuff to eat and at the same time get tore into those little junk treats.As they say everything in moderation.

Also, dont confuse weight loss with fat loss if thats your goal.When I hit my 40 year crisis I started with a concerted effort to get back in shape.I started at 212 with a BF of 28% It took me about 6 months of intense work with a trainer my weight flucuates between 200-205 but I am still at 17% body fat.Three years later.I still cant get over the weight/fat thing. I look at pictures from before and laugh at the fat bastard, yet my weight is still close to my starting point.

Good luck and dont deprive yourself of snackies.

Dentedhead
Old 07-14-2005, 08:18 AM
Traffic rules....Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead
Three years later.I still cant get over the weight/fat thing. I look at pictures from before and laugh at the fat bastard, yet my weight is still close to my starting point.
Dentedhead
Ah..don't worry DH...It's all in your head !!

iamvff
Old 07-14-2005, 08:23 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvff
Ah..don't worry DH...It's all in your head !!

iamvff
Its been established theres nothing but nonsense in my head.

Dentedhead
P.S nice job on getting yourself fit,lean and mean!