Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Default CFB Trenton

Anybody here from CFB Trenton or has recently been there?

A buddy of mine's daughter has recently graduated from one of the pre-service courses and is looking for a way to be more competitive in the hiring process for a municipal department.

I suggested joining the Canadian Forces as a firefighter and then I did a little research on her behalf. I noticed (according to the website anyway) that firefighter is now a reserve occupation and that 8 Wing is "currently hiring'.

Just curious if that is in fact true, and if so what shifts do they work at CFB Trenton?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Gillespie
Fire Investigator
Office of the Fire Marshal
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Hey Jim,

Your best bet is to contact the reserve unit if she wants to go into the reserves.
From there they will guide you on the recruitment process.

Don't quote me on this, but if she does like the Reserves and wants to go Reg, she can transfer over to the Reg. However, she might have to move from Trenton.
That's something the recruiter might be able answer in more detail.

The process is not an easy one.
Im not sure if the requirements have changed but they prefer applicants with emergency service experience (Ex: volunteer fire, poc fire, Search and Rescue, Coast Guard Auxiliary etc).
That said I've known a couple of guys and gals with a bunch of experience & certs and were turned away (due to not scoring high on the CFAT).

As long as you score high enough on your CFAT (you have to get a certain mark to qualify for the fire fighter trade...and they dont tell you your mark)
and pass the interview and physical, you're pretty much waiting for BMQ start date.

Like everyone has mentioned to me You're a soldier before you're a firefighter.
Once you're done with BMQ you are sent to your local reserve unit.

If you have any questions let me know here or inbox
I'll do my best to answer them

cheers
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM

The fire service in the CAF is not Reserves. The firefighters are Regular Forces members about 450+ in numbers. There are firefighters on some Bases /Wings that are in the Reserves though.

Andy
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Forces

Joining the forces / reserves firefighting is pretty much as competitive as a municipal fire service. The 1000's of graduates each year look at the same opportunities.

Quickest route to employment is out west, in the oil fields if they're hiring. Nowhere near the same job but a good start.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire149 View Post
The fire service in the CAF is not Reserves. The firefighters are Regular Forces members about 450+ in numbers. There are firefighters on some Bases /Wings that are in the Reserves though.

Andy
Well, the above post is a lie.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...refighter.html

Quote:
Part-time option

This occupation is available part-time within the following environment: Air Force
Serve with the Reserve Force

Limited positions are available for part-time employment through the Reserves. Reservists generally work part-time for a Reserve unit on a main operating base or Air wing in their community. They are not posted or required to do a military move. However, they can volunteer to move to another base. They may also volunteer for deployment on a military mission within or outside Canada.

Part-time employment

Firefighters serve with the Royal Canadian Air Force. They prevent the loss of life or property due to fire and perform a variety of tasks to support Forces training and operations. Firefighters employed on a part-time or casual full-time basis usually serve at a military base, wing or unit locations within Canada.

Reserve Force training

Reserve Force members usually begin training with their home unit to ensure that they meet the required basic professional military standards. Following basic military training, occupational training for Firefighters takes approximately 14 weeks and is conducted at the Canadian Forces Fire and CBRN Academy in Borden, Ontario.

Working environment

Typically, Reserve Force members work or train with their home unit. Reserve Force members may work up to twelve days a month in either a shift-work schedule or regular work days. They are paid 85 percent of the Regular Forces rates of pay and receive a reasonable benefits package.