Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Emergency Medical Services > Emergency Medical Transport
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Traffic rules....Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEMS17
JUst a small correction, he may well have had a CLass 4 license or higher, which entitles him to operate an ambulance according to the Highway Traffic Act, however the Ambulance and Stretcher Act has seperate licensing requirements for Operators and attendants of ambulances. These licenses are issued by MB Health and not the Regional Health Authorities, The RHA apply to MB Health on your behalf to act as your sponsor to have you licensed to be an EMS practitioner in the province.
Personally don't have a huge deal with it, but rules are rules. Unfortunately theis FF was put in a crappy situation by medics that should not have asked this of him if he didn't have the license.
Gotcha..I stand corrected. I knew it was something like that.

iamvff
Old 02-07-2006, 11:50 AM

I have always found that the best way to handle these situations is put the firefighter in the back and have one of the ambulance crew drive. No offence to anyone but driving bigger heavier vehicles dosen't garanttee a smooth ambulance ride. And the police are the worst people to drive the ambulance.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiesel
I have always found that the best way to handle these situations is put the firefighter in the back and have one of the ambulance crew drive. No offence to anyone but driving bigger heavier vehicles dosen't garanttee a smooth ambulance ride. And the police are the worst people to drive the ambulance.
AMEN and thank you
Old 02-07-2006, 12:48 PM

FYI anyone interested in legal mumble jumble, here's a link to the new Ambulance Services Act coming into force April 1, 2006

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/regs/index.php
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 PM
stompintom

Sorry I have been still steaming and not wanting to come back and lose my composure on this yet again.

The Driver has a class 1 with air, seasoned driver, skill not a question at all and is very competent. While at the scene, we were asked to provide a driver by ems, and this driver was selected as the driver was properly licensed as per hta. As for being put in a bad situation, I don't think so as it is regulary done here and even in wpg i believe as it is the patients care that is priority. Now under these new rules, we will no longer be asked to drive, however we may be asked to go in the back to assist. Personnally I think that if it was one of my kids in the back as a patient, I would feel better if 2 emr or emt were working on him than 1 emt and a bfa firefighter while a emr or t drives the ambulance. The other option is that we can wait 30 to 60 minutes for another ambulance to get to our scene to assist with the driving issue. Guess the patient is SOL so I feel that something else needs to be done. WE tossed around the idea of transport by firetruck like wpg does but as we don't carry any substantial med equiptment or supplies this was nuked. Another is that we all become emr's, something the rha may go along with, however, now they will incur additional costs to support that, which they don't have.
So it is coming down to a choice of follow a stupid administrative rule or save a life?? I would say if you save a life, it would be worth losing the ff vollie career, but we shouldn't be forced to make this choice. We are there to help save a life, not become pathetic bystanders watching someone circle the drain.

Sorry I have vented, but I am starting my campaign by communicating these thought to our politicians and making some noise in the press. This is an unfair rule that tarnishes the reputations of those who chose to help and could lead to the loss of ff who donate their time and effort to be of assistance to those who really need it. I challenge the minister, tim sale to come out and do some ride alongs to get a real feel for what happens out there and show him there is real life and death decisions being made outside of the wpg perimeter. I understand that the city of wpg is NOT bound by this rule as they have there own insurance, nice to have a two tiered health dervice plan eh??

sorry still pod,
Tom
Old 02-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Did somebody say HazMat?

Would this campaign be helped along by having letters sent to the Labour minister from various departments around Manitoba? I would be happy to sign my name to one.
(Guess I should talk to my chief first though...)
Old 02-08-2006, 12:11 PM
stompintom

I am thinking it might be time to start that Fire Fighter party up for the next provincial election. Can we import BC FF as our candidate?
tom
Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM

I'm not saying what happened is right, and no fault to the FF. The accident wasn't his fault according to the news. The EMS service should have provisions that allows for more personnel to respond. ONce again shitty situation with shittier outcome with a shit storm of publicity. If you check out the new act link I gave, the whole transport with a fire truck will be illegal. Also the BFA designation is being phased out.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 AM

If the medics here think they need an extra pair of hands in back for the trip they just grab one of us
Old 02-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Mind Willing-Body Lagging

Post Driving

A lower jurisdiction can not impose higher restrictions than a "higher up" one can. I can't quite tell if both MB "acts" are on equal terms from this forum. ie provincial overrides municipal
Anywhere in AB, a ff with a class 4 (plus whatever other class they have) can drive a taxi or ambulance.
As I stated before, its almost irrelevent, as here in AB, I can obtain an AMB/TAXI lic. by taking a written test and a practical test in my "generic" car !

It's Been A Blast
Not A Job