Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firehall.com > Firehall.com
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Default Firehall.com upgrade coming soon

Hi all

I'd like to say hello and thank you all for your patience in using firehall.com for the last several years. My name is Kyle Shay and I'm Director of Digital Media at Annex Business Media (the publishers of Fire Fighting In Canada and Canadian Firefighter magazines, and the owners of firehall.com.

As you know, times have changed and firehall.com must change with them.

We've begun the process of updating to the newest vBulletin software and I'd like to get some thoughts from the users on what you like / dis-like about the existing firehall.com.

This is your forum and we'd like it to reflect that.

What features are good? What can you do without?

There will be some things that we won't be able to move forward with the new software, as always with an upgrade of this magnitude, but, if there is something that you'd like... let us know!

Any questions you can reply to this thread or send me an email gkshay (@) annexweb.com

Kyle
Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 AM

Kyle

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

It is unfortunate that this small community has been neglected for so long. Most active contributors lost patience and have left a long time ago.

There are very basic capabilities/improvements that the forum has been missing for years! The vBulletin software is 10 years out of date, that's the kind of community neglect its hard to recover from.

The technical side will be the easy task to repair however building (re-building) the trust and the community will be the real challenge, so good luck with that.

Quote:
I'd like to get some thoughts from the users on what you like / dis-like about the existing firehall.com.
1) SPAM - Get rid of it and stay on top of it.
2) MODERATION - If firehall.com are not going to look after it, let the community do so.
3) TOO MANY CATEGORIES/SUBCATEGORIES - 10 Categories for 37 sub-categories? Rationalize and tighten them up.
4) CONTENT - If you cant transition most of the content to the new platform then there is not much point...

Quote:
This is your forum and we'd like it to reflect that.

What features are good? What can you do without?
The UK Fire Service Forum is well run and fairly easy to navigate. The (http://www.fireservice.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx)

1) Profile Pics
2) Blogs/Status Updates
3) Better support for attachments/pics
4) Unread Content
5) Upvote/Downvote posts (Reputation)
6) Consider alternatives like IPS Community Suite
Old 09-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Hi hmckay91,

You're right that it will be an uphill battle going forward.

Our first step is to hear from you guys (thank you for your comments) and then start the upgrade process. 10 years is a long time and makes for an interesting path to bring vBulletin up-to-date. This is our goal!

SPAM, Moderation, Categories and Content Migration are all on the list for sure.

We will be upgrading to the newest version of vBulletin (version 5)... if you look at the very bottom of firehall.com we are currently at version 3.6.8. We want to be able to carry over all of the content including posts, reputation, etc. from the existing forum to the new (our main reason to stick with vBulletin).

With this new version we will see a modern forum infrastructure that comes with everything that entails, including most of the suggestions you list from the UK Fire Service Forum.

Mobile will be a major focus as well. A lot of you access the site via your iPhones, iPads and Android devices. We will make that experience so much better.

Thanks again for your comments and for those that have replied via PM. Please keep them coming.

Kyle
Old 10-01-2016, 07:45 PM

A 'Like' button

often there is not much more to be said on a topic, but that leaves only room for 'me too' messages. It is hard to gauge if the thread is dead, or if it has simply had most ideas shared with no easy way to show support for an idea or direction.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 PM
Be Safe Out There !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckay91 View Post
Kyle

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

It is unfortunate that this small community has been neglected for so long. Most active contributors lost patience and have left a long time ago.

There are very basic capabilities/improvements that the forum has been missing for years! The vBulletin software is 10 years out of date, that's the kind of community neglect its hard to recover from.

The technical side will be the easy task to repair however building (re-building) the trust and the community will be the real challenge, so good luck with that.

1) SPAM - Get rid of it and stay on top of it.
2) MODERATION - If firehall.com are not going to look after it, let the community do so.
3) TOO MANY CATEGORIES/SUBCATEGORIES - 10 Categories for 37 sub-categories? Rationalize and tighten them up.
4) CONTENT - If you cant transition most of the content to the new platform then there is not much point...

The UK Fire Service Forum is well run and fairly easy to navigate. The (http://www.fireservice.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx)

1) Profile Pics
2) Blogs/Status Updates
3) Better support for attachments/pics
4) Unread Content
5) Upvote/Downvote posts (Reputation)
6) Consider alternatives like IPS Community Suite
Well stated hmckay91 !!

I was a very active member several years ago, but rarely visit the site anymore. There used to be great discussion on a myriad of topics, but not so much anymore. I have made some great contacts through Firehall.com that have assisted me in several courses and other training ventures over the years, in particular IRSQYU.

Several observations:

1.Too much SPAM - need to be on top of it daily.

2. Too many people post one reply to a thread, and that is the last you hear from them. If their account is not active for a specified period of time, it should be deleted.

3. As 3rdGen suggested - a "like button".

4. Need a "patch trading" category.

5. The forum is not a "hiring" or "how do I get hired" forum. It is for exchange of information between fire service professionals, be they career or volunteer.

I'll be paying closer attention to Firehall.com for the next few months, and look forward to changes and upgrades. Hopefully it can return to what it once was - a great place to learn, make contacts, and exchange information and ideas.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 AM

Id agree with the comments above. certainly the points about upvote or downvoting or liking/Disliking posts.